Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

KrautScientist's INQ28

Started by KrautScientist, April 03, 2012, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadriel Caine

Hey, First off I'm a big fan of your Inq28 stuff. Its been part of my inspiration to get back into it (along with Keravin's log and the re-emergence of Migsula on Warseer).

I really like the five new minis. The two inquisitors compliment each other really well and I like the idea of the potential conflicts in interest that are sure to crop up. I'm looking to get hold of the Chaos Sorceror myself actually for some nefarious reasons... so its good to see it put to good use. I like the Zombie head for a psyker. I'm sure I've seen it before many years ago but hey if it aint broke don't fix it.

I don't think the second inquisitor looks OTT (apart from the flamer- IIRC there are handflamers in the seraphim set? might look more streamlined). Although I'm known as a proponent of the 'kitchen sink' approach to =][=.

The Daemon is great. Nothing more to say on that.

As to the two female minis I think the paint jobs will be make or break for me. The first one is wonderfully posed and the more I look at it the wider variety of parts I can identify- always fun. I would personally have sculpted new hair on her just so I felt she didn't have a wood elf head... but that's probably down to my psychological problems rather than it not looking right.

The Inquisitrix looks great but I agree about not liking the spike shoulder pads. Perhaps if you could track down the baneblade tank commander shoulders they might look better? Also her right arm doens't look natural at the shoulder. A bit of bending should do the trick but there's a big gap.

In terms of the general posing, equipment etc she looks very low key but also like she means business. So I think you nailed the design brief you set yourself!

looking forward to more.

A.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Erasmus Koal

Glad I could be of help vocalizing the trickster daemon idea! Unless there was a more sinister, warp-dwelling third party putting the thought into both our heads... why am I suddenly scowering my bits box for daemon sprues? ;D

As for the bottom female Inquisitor model, I heartily endorse removing the pointy shoulder pads. I recently used the same or a very similar female torso for a project I'm working on, and the removal the pointy shoulder pieces does wonders, especially if you've got something else already covering the upper arm area (which is something I"m currently looking to sort out... may be scavenging some War-Machine parts for that.)

Best of luck!

KrautScientist

Hey everyone,

I realise it's been quite some time since I last updated this thread, but I've been playing around with some INQ28 related stuff lately, so here goes:

First of all, I revisited the model I built for dishonoured guard officer Esteban Revas, adding just one tiny bit, namely a Sanguinary Guard dagger at his hip:

Since I designed Revas to decidedly look like a fencer, I thought it would be interesting if his fencing style incorporated a longer and shorter blade at the same time. It's only a very minor detail, to be sure, but one I am very pleased with nonetheless.

Then I changed another detail on this troglodyte crawler I had built ages ago as a creation of the heretic Genetor Amnon Helix:

The original model used a regular WFB Crypt Ghoul head, but after seeing GW's rather disturbing new take on Vilitch the Curseling, I shaved off the model's eyes and nose, instead opting for a horrible, mostly featureless face. This makes the creature look quite a bit more revolting (and far less like Gollum, which is also a plus).

Last but not least, my buddy Biohazard let me have his Dark Vengeance cultists, and while some of them will without a doubt be drafted into my Traitor Guard, I alsoI want to use some of those models for INQ28. I did a couple of rough mockups today:

First up, one of the heavies will become an ex-guard/ex-gang guy, a bull of a man wielding a rather huge gun:

I also wanted to transform one of the champions into an Inquisitor - maybe even a more ostentatious version of my Inquisitor Antrecht, yet the model's not coming together nearly as seamlessly as I had planned. Here's what it looks like atm:

As you can see, this guy needs a lot more work. Suggestions always welcome!  :thumbsup:

And finally, while this guy may end up in my Traitor Guard, he might work as a pretty cool one-off "environmental hazard" during games of INQ28:

I just couldn't resist...  :D

Let me know what you think!
Check out my blog at http://www.eternalhunt.wordpress.com

World Eaters | INQ28 | Terrain | Other

Inquisitor Dionzi

SKYFALL MINIATURES

Alyster Wick

Really liking the cultists. The Inquisitor made from the champion is looking good. Maybe some parchment or a chainmail skirt over the chaos inscribed cloth around his waist would work nicely. It would be interesting to see what he'd look like with a non-sword in his right hand, maybe an auspice or some kind of tech, but that's just spitballing.

I'm pretty crushed that you beat me to the punch by giving an eviserator to that particular cultist model, I was planning to do the same thing using a more modest chainsword (I feel like the orc one is a bit chunky and doesn't mesh well with the body of the gun) but at the very least it's proof positive that the combo works (and works well). I was planning to keep the head but I'm liking how your version looks so I may start checking around to see if I have a more intimidating head lurking about, one with more of a serial-killer vibe to it.

Love your fencing guy, totally missed him before but that minor torso swap is really effective. Troglodyte is looking solid as well, I actually have all those parts sitting around so I should consider a similar project.

Anyway, good looks stuff all around. You've convinced me I need to find a way to get more empire bits for INQ 28.

I'll have to find

KrautScientist

Thanks, guys!

@ Alyster Wick: Don't worry, mate: I wasn't the first person to make this particular conversion -- not even close  ;) As for the huge chainaxe, I really wanted to use that Ork choppa, and I feel its addition really makes the weapon look like an industrial saw, which is a nice fit, considering that most of the new chaos cultists look a lot like dsigruntled workers.

I did some more work on these last miniatures, as well as on a model from my backlog.

First of all, I tidied up the conversion work of the chainsaw maniac:

The weapon was shortened in order to make it look a bit less awkward.

I also glued together the guard veteran:

The only thing I changed was to carefully trim off the chaos symbol around the neck.

When it comes to the Inquisitor, I took off the too large =][= and tried a couple of different bitz. At the moment, I am tempted to leave the symbol off altogether and make it look like he is wearing some kind of cravat:

What do you think?

And finally, I just felt the need to revisit an unfinished model:

A Kroot shaper inspired by a fantastic Mike Anderson piece in the 40k rulebook that I started working on ages ago. I did some more work on him, and here's the result:

While the model may still not be 100% finished, it feels like it's actually starting to come together.

As always, C&C very welcome!  :thumbsup:

Alyster Wick

Changes on the saw-wielding cultist are subtle but effective. THAT thing looks like an industrial cutter. I figured it was way too obvious a conversion to not have been done before but I hadn't seen any yet.

For the record, the cravat looks great. It's classy, elitist and a very appropriate yet atypical accessory in the 41st millennium (well, on models at least :) ).

The Kroot looks awesome as well. Great parts combo, it looks like it belongs in an INQ 28 warband. Oozes character and utilizes some unique parts that fit really well.

Also, is that a Space Wolves head on the vet? He's also great.

KrautScientist

Cheers, mate!

Regarding the saw conversion, the one done by Morbäck probably takes the cake  ;)

I agree that the cravat seems to alleviate some of the earlier problems with the model. I am tempted to keep it.

With the Kroot, I am not 100% sure I want to keep the feathers on the head. In any case, that area may need some more work.

Oh, and yes, it's indeed a SW scout head on that veteran. Well spotted, sir  ;)

KrautScientist

All the kitbashing using Biohazard's cultists has given me quite an appetite for more INQ28, and it seems like I chose a good time for it, too: With John Blanche's monthly column in WD regularly dedicated to INQ28 models, and with the work of exceptionally talented artists like PDH and migsula indeed being published in WD proper, it is very clearly a great time for being an INQ28 aficionado.

Looking at so many great models has given me a new hunger for building more INQ28 models and tweaking some of the existing ones. So I would like to show you a small gallery of my latest WIPs. Some of these are models I already posted some time ago I chose to revisit and touch up. Some are recent additions to my collection. I usually enjoy working on several of these at the same time, different as they may turn out in the end. But all of them have one thing in common: They are either good, bad or ugly* — or a combination of the above. Let's take a look:

1.) Inquisitor Gotthardt's Retinue:

The first few models will end up as retainers to Inquisitor Erasmus Gotthardt, of the Ordo Hereticus. All of these were previously posted on this thread, yet I have worked on them some more since then, hammering out the last kinks and rough edges, dealing with unfinished stuff and taking to heart the feedback I received on forums.

Former Guard Captain Esteban Revas

Well, here he is, once again. I didn't change anything about the model since I last posted him, although I did take the time to take some better pictures  :D All in all, I am very pleased with this model, and will paint it up as soon as I have managed to stop obsessing over the colour combination...

Drill Abbot

I followed the advice of my fellow forumites and slightly shortened this fellow's neck, to make him look like a bulldog of a man. And I added a couple of additional items to his belt to bulk him out even more and to show that he carries some additional equipment (and quite a few items of worship, like the small reliquary and a cask of holy water at his side):

Painting wise, I imagine a combination of rich reds and browns would be the best way to go for this character, along with a healthy complexion and a grey beard. We'll see...

Retired Arbites Judge/Security Agent

I wanted this guy to look like a tough-as-nails ex-hive-cop who knows every trick in the book and is quite used to walking the beat on the wrong side of the monorail tracks, and the pilot model from the "Battle for Maccrage" boxed set nicely fit the bill. Since we last saw this guy, I replaced the clunky DA power maul with a more fitting stun baton, spliced together from the grip of the aforementioned maul and a WFB Marauder weapon. Again, it's a small but important change.

2.) Inquisitor Fiegmund's retinue

As an addition to Inquisitor Antrecht's collection of carnival freaks and Inquisitor Gotthardt's more middle-of-the-road approach, Inquisitor Fiegmund's retinue will be as gothic and scary as they come. You see, Holm Fiegmund is a puritan member of the Ordo Hereticus whose hunt for Antrecht has driven him over the edge (and horribly scarred him for life, causing others to refer to him behind his back as the "Maimed Man"). In short, I want Fiegmund's retinue to be a pretty dark and uncompromising looking bunch. Here are the first models:

Preacher/Redemptionist Priest

Well, you cannot have a puritan Hereticus warband without one of these. The model is a pretty straightforward kitbash, using parts of the Empire flagellants, a Guard laspistol and a Khorne Berzerker chainsword to make a suitably imposing eviscerator.

The Dancer

This bonny lass, codenamed "The Dancer" is a (death cult) assassin in the employ of Inquisitor Fiegmund. I have this idea about several members of Fiegmund's retinue being female, which should be an interesting way of setting off the dark, gothic look.
In this case, the model was built using mainly Wych parts from the Dark Eldar Venom kit. I then added a couple of more Imperial looking bitz, including a servo skull for a head. I want to leave the Dancer's actual nature deliciously ambiguous: Is she a cultist, a servitor or something altogether different? Only Inquisitor Fiegmund would know, and he certainly isn't telling...

Expect more pretty fethed up models for this particular retinue in the future...

3.) Yet another retinue — Xenos this time?

I'll be honest with you: Building Inquisitorial retinues is a pasttime I simply cannot get enough of. I can get quite a kick creating new Inquisitors pondering their relations to their retainers and all the stories behind that, even withhout ever actually having to use the characters in a game. And I recently realised that I had not yet managed to come up with an Inquisitor belonging to the Ordo Xenos...

WIP Inquisitor

You'll probably agree that this guy will need quite a bit more work: I love the pistol and overall pose, but the head is clearly too big. And while I like the thought of giving him a tie or cravat of some kind, it was pointed out to me by fellow forumites over at the Ammobunker that the one in the picture above makes him look like a Western character — and we certainly can't have that!

So I tried a new tie, as well as a couple of different heads. Here's a composite for you:

As you'll probably agree, some of these would lead to wildly different outcomes. While I am personally rather fond of options A and B for some reason, I haven't decided yet, so you are very welcome to put in your own two cents on the matter!

Kroot Shaper / Pathfinder

Also mostly unchanged since his last appearance on this thread. I did take the feathers off his head, though, since it makes him look leaner and sneakier. To tell you the truth,  I have grown rather fond of the model  ;) I actually have quite an interesting/tragic backstory for the character, floating around half-formed at the back of my head, and painting him should be a nice change of pace. I also think he might have an interesting, if grudgingly amicable, relationship with the next character...

Imperial Guard Veteran/former Hive Ganger

Again, you already know this guy. I guess the model's complete and ready to be painted.

In any case, the Xenos retinue will need a bit more work, but I am definitely getting there...

4.) A servant of the Dark Gods

Well, you know what they say: Evil never sleeps. So it was clear I also needed to build another villain...

Father Pain

Having already built champions of Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch for my Traitor Guard, "Urash's Marauders", I needed a model to represent a mighty follower od Slaanesh. The solution to this particular problem arrived when Biohazard sent me the chaos priest from the WFB Warshrine of Chaos. Since the guy was quite the beefcake, I thought his immaculate physique would make him a nice fit for a follower of the dark prince:

Two new hands, a new head and some GS later, Father Pain was born. I realise the greenstuffed area will need quite a bit more work, but I think you can see where this is going. The glaive came from the new WFB plastic Chaos Lord, by the way:

All in all, I think the model makes for a quite convincing champion of Slaanesh, and he would also work as a cult leader in games of INQ28.

As you can, see, I have got lots and lots on my plate regarding INQ28 models. Lord knows when I am actually going to get around painting these, but I just can't stop kitbashing them — it's just too much fun... ;-)

In any case, C&C are always welcome! And, as always, thanks for looking and stay tuned for more!

* I do of course realise that the idea of arranging INQ28 models by their respective goodness, badness or ugliness was very much migsula's idea to begin with. So let's just say I was inspired by his work (which is totally true) and didn't just steal this particular idea ;-)

Crystal-Maze

Odd moment when I saw that I had nearly scrolled to the bottom of the page and felt sad. A wonderful selection of models :)
However, on the ex-ganger are you going to do anything more to his necklace (where the chaos star used to be) as it looks a tad messy at the moment?

KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, Crystal Maze!

I believe the area where the chaos necklace used to be looks far messier than it actually is, due to a part of the black basecoat being shaved off along with the icon. It may end up looking quite a bit smoother when painted. Still, I could always go back and add a more "loyalist" pendant if it doesn't look good enough.

Heroka Vendile

I'd say option A & C are my favourites for the Xenos inquisitor. A nice set of conversions all round. Though I'm not much of a fan of the ridiculous beef-cake sculpts GW ha been doing lately.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Adlan

B has a really grizzled look, like a PAW Leonardo da Vinci.

SpruferMLB

I think my favorite head option for the Ordo Xenos guy would be F. To me it kind of gives the impression that he's a bit too bulky for his outfit, which to me just looks like it works.

Keep up the good work! The stuff keeps getting me sorely tempted to do my own INQ28 guys!
Lighting again streaked its way across the sky and deep down in the impenetrable darkness, the King in Chains stirred.

KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, guys! I really appreciate the feedback!  :)

A rather small update, but an update nonetheless:

Looking at my Esteban Revas model...

...I felt that he really needed a loyal retainer, playing the part of buttmonkey to his aristocratic haughtiness. I thought of a trooper in the Haaruthian Guard, rescued from death by Revas' late father and thus eternally grateful to the family, paying back his life debt by serving the son of his personal hero. As I turned the idea around in my head, I got all kinds of rather neat narrative ideas as well, but let's look at the WIP model first:

I wanted the retainer to fit the somewhat medieval look of Revas himself. But since he would be a rank and file soldier, I needed him to look quite a bit less flashy. My initial idea was to convert the model from an old Advanced HeroQuest henchman:

But I simply couldn't bring myself to cut up that model, so I had to come up with something reasonably similar, using a Bretonnian body and a couple of rather medieval bitz. Meet Trooper Koltz, everyone:

Oh, and I thought it would be a really cool and characterful idea to have Koltz lugging around all kinds of equipment and personal possessions of his master, so I added all kinds of stuff to his back:

I am rather fond of this guy, to tell you the truth! Let me know what you think!  :thumbsup: