Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

KrautScientist's INQ28

Started by KrautScientist, April 03, 2012, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilleon

I definitely approve. Especially like the kroot rifle barrel on the lasgun, gives it a nicely low tech look. That and the silly amounts of kit on his back, very Questing knightly.

Easy E

I find it amusing that an Inquisitor's Henchman has a henchman of his own.   ;D

I'm not sure Trooper Koltz should have a yelling head. Other than that, it look sgood, and I would try to give him even more kit!  After all, he's a human mule for Revas.   
^Cheapskate^

Alyster Wick

Small but effective change with that barrel swap, may steal that if I ever get kroot bits. The model comes together nicely. I quite like the yelling head. Coupled with Revas's more serene visage it says to me that his henchmen not only carries all his kit but yells for him as well.

KrautScientist

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Quote from: Easy E on March 01, 2013, 03:24:09 PMI find it amusing that an Inquisitor's Henchman has a henchman of his own.   ;

True, but that's just the kind of pompous fop Revas is. It's not his fault, though: It's the way he grew up  ;)

Dexter Kong suggested I use this head:

It's certainly a great option, although there's something about the screaming head I like: It has a "What the feth has he got me into this time?" vibe going on, don't you think?  ;D

Oh, and I did actually try to add yet more kit to the model, but it just ended up looking silly and didn't really add anything interesting, so I settled on the amount you see on the model now.
Check out my blog at http://www.eternalhunt.wordpress.com

World Eaters | INQ28 | Terrain | Other

KrautScientist

Alright, I realise it's been some time since the last update, but I have been far from idle! Apart from a top secret project (more on that soon...), I've been messing around with all kinds of INQ28-related models. Some new threads and blogs - among which the fabulous Officio Convertorum warrants a special mention - have been a tremendous inspiration, so I have quite a few new things to show you. Most of the following models are still heavily work in progress, so your input on any of these is especially welcome   :thumbsup:

First up, a couple of cultists / hive scum:

Just a couple of simple headswaps, these. They'll either end up painted as regular traitors for my Traitor Guard, as some kind of hive scum or even as ragtag followers to an Inquisitor? Not sure yet...

I've also started to build a pretty old-skool Hive Ganger, based on an old Necromunda plastic Orlock:

Got the plastic starter models from an auction a while ago, and they were in horrible shape! So I am slowly rebuilding this guy (new head and right arm so far). Nothing spectacular yet, although I am thinking of giving him a classic "Mad Max" colour scheme, as soon as it's time to paint the model...  ;)

Then there's this interesting fellow:

The base model was a Skaven Herder from the WFB starter box. The addition of a chaos cultist gas mask added a certain je ne sais quoi to the model, although I am lost regarding what hands/weapons to give him (gave away the original warpstone staff he came with) -- any suggestions?

Then there's a mutant based on an old Gorkamorka Orc:

Those Crypt Ghoul heads are sooo useful  ;)

And here's a model I am already pretty fond of. I am thinking of him as some kind of sanctioned psyker:

The right arm needs a bit of work, of course, to make that thing he holds look more like a sceptre of some sort. Or I could use something a bit more like a staff:

(ignore the top of the staff -- that would need to go, of course).

He's just tacked together for now -- any ideas or suggestions?

Oh, and a bitz drop courtesy of Gerner gave me a new and promising head for that WIP-Xenos Inquisitor I posted some time ago:

What do you think?

And finally, I also managed to get something painted -- at least in part... Here's a look at the mutant bounty hunter / tracker based on some Quovandius artwork from the Inquisitor Rulebook:

The paintjob's not quite there yet, but I guess you can see where this is headed.

So yeah, that's my unsorted Idea dump for now! Any and all C&C much appreciated, as always!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking and stay tuned for more!

Kron

They look great!! I especially like the Mutant and the Ganger, it makes me want to dig out my unpainted Orlock gang that I have had for years but never even used!

The Xenos inquisitor looks great, but then again I would say that considering I did the same.  ;)

Very interesting use of the Skaven Packmaster; I already converted mine into a Warlock Engineer with Doom Rocket; both the 40k and WFB starter sets are such good value and sources for conversions!!

Looking forward to seeing more.

KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, Kron! I agree that most of those starter box models are pure gold, even if it sometimes takes time to find a use for them: That Packmaster came to me along with the two Rat Ogres, and he was really surplus to my requirements. I only realised he could be used for something worthwhile now. Oh well...

Some guys over at Dakka and the Ammobunker pointed me towards using some Crypt Ghoul parts and/or clawed hands or blades on him, and I realised I still had some of the supremely creepy ghoul hands lying around and chose one holding a skull. For the other hand, I used a horrible bladelike contraption from the Talos/Cronos kit. Here's where the model's at right now:

I also added a bit of greenstuff to build up the neck area. And the rat tail was removed, of course. I am quite pleased with the new developments. What do you guys think?

Easy E

That blade arm is an inspired addition. 
^Cheapskate^

KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, Easy E! I already started to get some paint on the gas mask mutant:

The model may need some fine tuning, but I think it's getting there. Here's a closeup of that fantastically creepy ghoul hand I mentioned:

C&C always welcome!

Kebekoi

Really love your overall work man!! Your "not to much-not to enough" way of converting, suit my state of mind well.  Very inspirational minis, you're the man responsible for my personnal INQ28 convertion addiction for a week... And now I have to painted those INQ minis, despite the owerhelming amount of work I have this month!!

Shame on YOU!! The Inquisition should be prevent of your unholy use of psychic influence !!

...Or not! ;D

Keep going this way!!

Cheers, Keb.

KrautScientist

Cheers, Kebekoi! Glad to hear that I was able to inspire you!

I realise I've been slightly neglectful when it comes to my thread over here, so let me make amends ;) I'll start with the finished version of the gas mask mutant I last posted here:

When I posted the partly painted model over on Dakka, fellow forumite Dreadclaw69 had this to say regarding a possible background for the model:

QuoteMaybe we finally have the answer to the question "Where do servo-skulls come from?" His back story could be;
As a favour to the Inquisitor the Ad-Mech have dispatched this servant of theirs to collect worthy skulls to become servo skulls for his Ad-Mech master the Inquisitor. This individual was captured from a feral world the Ad-Mech were turning into a Forge World, which had a culture of head hunting and collecting the skulls of their enemies. Those indigenous people who were suitable for the purposes of the Ad-Mech became servitors, Skittarri etc. This one was singled out by the Tech Priests. Those skulls deemed unsuitable he keeps for himself, but to what end is unknown.

I loved this idea right away, but it became even more brilliant due to the fact that DexterKong and I had just been having a conversation about one of Inquisitor Antrecht's recurring enemies, one Inquisitor Fiegmund. My rough background idea for Inquisitor Fiegmund is that he has been horribly injured during a run in with Antrecht's daemonhost, and I wanted the model to still be showing the scars of that confrontation. I was also looking for a way to have Fiegmund be disabled in some way (blind, for example) due to his injuries. Dexter suggested having him rely on a number of servo-skulls to replace the senses he had lost, and suddenly all the pieces fell into place: The gas masked twist would become a member of Fiegmund's retinue, tasked with the construction of his servo-skulls. And thus, the Skull Collector was born!

I tried to incorporate this background into the model's paintjob. A generous helping of Tamiya Clear Red was all it took. Here's the finished model:

I wanted the model to look like it had just finished "cleaning" a skull by carving off all the flesh. Hence the blood (and the bones strewn across the floor).

I remember being immensely inspired when seeing JRN's "Servo Skull Collector" some time ago, and after just considering duplicating that idea, I am rather happy I managed to come up with my own take on the whole "Skull Collector" concept in the end. In all fairness, though, this model really only managed into into its own because Dreadclaw69 and Dexter added their brilliant background ideas! And the finished character exactly matches the gothic and sinister atmosphere I will be going for with Inquisitor Fiegmund's retinue. Here's a rough sketch of the character's background so far:

The Skull Collector

Ever since being horribly maimed in a fight against Inquisitor Antrecht's Daemonhost Zalambur, Inquisitor Fiegmund has been heavily dependent on a coterie of servo-skulls. He now employs the services of a small, masked mutant that was originally found by an Adeptus Mechanicus team doing reconstruction work on the derelict hives of the purged world St. Berthold, preparing the cities for resettlement. The mutant would have been executed under normal circumstances, yet he demonstrated an uncanny talent of constructing extremely advanced and effective servo-skulls for some reason, and it is this capacity in which he now serves the Inquisitor. He also seems to be obsessed with the shapes and intricacies of the human cranium, collecting all the skulls he can for his work. And while he uses some of them to build more auxiliary contraptions for Fiegmund, he is allowed to keep some of his bounty, though no one can say to what purpose...

I am actually really happy with the way the character came together! Thanks again to my fellow hobbyists for their suggestions!
As a matter of fact, another small hobby revelation happened, once I posted the model on Dakka. Fellow forumite Two Spartan had this to say:

QuoteThat gas mask mutant is fantastic, so creepy. Maybe its because his robotic arm looks kind of insectoid, but I think this little guy is the scariest thing I've seen you make. Just imagining him focusing on the skull scraping rapidly at it with that claw, turning it round, scraping some more, examining it to see if there's any meat still left. Then it pauses and lifts its masked head in your direction and drops the skull.

I initially wanted to reply that this guy would never ever drop a skull, seeing how he is absolutely fascinated with them as objets d'art. But then I started asking myself what would have to happen to actually make him drop a skull. Cue Fridge Horror...

Anyway, let me know what you think!

In any case, thanks for looking and stay tuned for more!

Kebekoi

I follow your blog and Ammobunker thread too, so I used to see this  a time ago. I like a lot this BackGround for your creepy little lads. And the WIP minis are as allways very sympathic but I still have  a thing to say about those henchmen of Revas, I prefer from far the first head you choose the shouting one, that those of the WFB empire militia. Despite the fact that i use myself this head, at least the helmet, in a recent conversion, I find this helmet a little bit oversized on a 28 mm mini ...

my 2cts...

Keb.