Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Twin Arches (Autumn Conclave 2012) - December 1st, WHW

Started by MarcoSkoll, April 06, 2012, 12:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

I had planned to use something similar to the Contact cards used in previous Conclaves, but I'm not sure how well the numbers would tot up if there were greater or fewer players on a particular scale.

As a slightly not-totally-scale related note, I had planned on awarding the winning warband (who accumulates the most points) a piece of wargear - an ornate pistol, a servo-skull mounted forcefield, a Rogue Trader charter or equivalent, something interesting that doesn't necessarily have to be WYSIWYG but  could add texture to a warband: "This antique melta pistol was gifted to Inquisitor X by the Carthaxian Conclave for helping bring the Kaede Mack Conglomeration to it's knees."
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

As far as scoring, I'm pretty tempted to include some of the ideas in Exterminatus 9 about an "agenda" based scoring method.

We had a bit of this with the "card matching", but I think I'd like to see a greater spread of objectives running throughout the day - some might have to be fulfilled in game, some might relate to Contacts (assuming I'd stick with that. Fewer categories next time though!), but there might also be some that had to be fulfilled away from the tables.

Some of this would come from the player's "faction", but others would be specific to the player themselves. Individualising and expanding every player's objectives would represent a bit of work if there's two dozen players involved, but all kinds of side objectives and conflicts would mean we didn't have to worry about the risk of "oh no, all the players for the finale all agree with each other!"
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

krenshar

On scoring for dual-scale, what about running any p&m section as a competition separate from the score?  It would allow for a category -and thus a winner- at each scale, plus it leaves the gaming aspect universal across the event if one assumes that the game is played in the same spirit, no matter a warband's height.

To encourage mixing, players could be expected to score the models of both categories, with the option to abstain from one scale should a player feel too disinterested/inexperienced in that scale.  That way there's no pressure, a model's average score won't be skewed by low scores from players resenting having to score, and it would hopefully lead to discussion and inspiration across the scales.

Granted, that's two more prizes to find than currently but as someone already pointed out, the potential increase in attendance should balance that out.

MarcoSkoll

I think split P&M prizes might be a good idea, as that is the one area that is inherently and unchangeably different between the two scales, and the two do represent somewhat different challenges - it would be good to recognise the best achievement at each scale.

Still, this isn't the thread to make suggestions about the IGT scoring. This thread is about a different mixed event that's been moved up to try and foster community integration before the IGT (and perhaps dry run some stuff). :P

GW's =I= articles

krenshar

Sorry, with the suggestion earlier in the thread of running the IGT scoring system as an informal experiment, I was thinking that it would be an opportunity to test such a change.
Though given the rest of the work involved already, I can see I didn't really think it through.
I'll go make a nuisance of myself in the correct thread. :)

MarcoSkoll

While I might use this event as a chance to test GT scoring, I'd only be running the GM/Player scoring and wouldn't plan on having a P&M round.

It's going to be voluntary to score and I don't want to have to make players feel conspicuous for opting in or out, which is something hard to fit around a "put your models on the table and peer at them" round.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

*First post edited, but copied below*

Evening gents. With the INQvitational having been a success, and demonstrated an event ready 28mm crowd, it's time to look back at this to fill out the Inquisitor gaming event schedule.

I've called up the WHW events team, and of the Saturdays in the Nov/Dec time period I was looking for, they offered December 1st. At this point, I now need a show of hands in order that I can work out how many tables will be needed and the feasibility. Obviously, the event won't work very well if I don't get enough players of one scale or the other.

~~~~~

So, to summarise and recap:

- December 1st, Warhammer World. Normal hours (1000-1800)

- The day will be BOTH 28mm and 54mm. Players may use either or both as they wish.

- Standard schedule for the day - three "intrigue" games, followed by a finale. Expect another multi-table finale.

- GMing will be handled as per previous "Conclaves", and will be rotated (to willing volunteers, as far as is possible) to give all attendees the chance to play. As normal, pre-written scenarios will be on hand, but people are welcome to write and bring their own. (Consider it practice for the 2013 IGT, if you'd like.)

- I may need an assistant for the day though.

- Ideally, people will GM for their "non standard" scale to allow greater intermixing of the two groups. This is not a strict requirement, but it is preferred that people ask around and borrow NPCs instead than sticking only to their own scale.
We'll also be running the same style of attendee donated NPC pool as we had at the 2011 Autumn Conclave, so people are encouraged to lend any potentially useful generic thugs, the odd VIP or wizened adept to that.

- Scoring may get changed up. Contact cards may remain part of it, but I'm looking to personalise things by giving players specific tasks. This might relate to their cards, or it might be personal agendas they have to achieve in the day's games... or maybe even outside them.

- At present, the plan is that the plot will take place in both Dalthus and Carthax, with a story that affects both.

~~~~~

So, that preliminary show of hands, please. If you'd also tell me which scales you're planning on attending with, that would help.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

28 assuming I ever decide to paint my guys :P

greenstuff_gav

i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Van Helser

I highly doubt I can make that date as I am booked on a crown and bridge course here in Inverness on the Friday. If it later transpires that I could make it down I would be playing 54mm. I am interested to hear that the INQvitational was a success though. I'll have a couple of questions on Skype tomorrow Dave for you.

Ruaridh

Keravin

If you want to read more on the Inqvitational there's a thread on Ammobunker and I've got my report on the Inqvitational only games on my plog here.

Kaled

I should be available on that date and could play at either or both scales.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

A reasonable start, although I've had a couple of slightly discouraging responses on Ammobunker.

Well, I can see how things go.

GW's =I= articles

Keravin

Provisionally in at both scales, though not sure how many INq54 models I will have done by then as still assembling bits to start piecing them together.

I will be using a different Inquisitor to Tybalt who I took to the Inqvitational as he's very much bound up in the ongoing narrative that Molotov is running.

Kaled

One possibility that you may want to consider Keravin is the idea that just because the two events happen sequentially and quite close together in our timeframe doesn't mean that the same has to be true for Tybalt. One event could be sometime in his past or future...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat