Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Genetic Engineering - Vat Grown - Tau AI - Men of Iron?

Started by Nemesis, April 13, 2012, 03:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InquisitorHeidfeld

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 14, 2012, 05:47:20 AM- Nor does the High Imperial law argument. (Only High Lords are allowed to order the creation of a Space Marine chapter. So, if you were cooking up some super soldiers, there's some argument in making them female to avoid being accused of breaching that law.) But she's not super-soldiery enough for that.
Only the Emperor himself can approve the founding of a new chapter. At least according to the data I have... Now whether you assume that the Emperor is actually approving things or that he's incapable (or just having his rule subjourned) and the High Lords are doing it on his behalf is entirely up to you.

Koval

Quote from: InquisitorHeidfeld on April 14, 2012, 06:06:39 PM
Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 14, 2012, 05:47:20 AM- Nor does the High Imperial law argument. (Only High Lords are allowed to order the creation of a Space Marine chapter. So, if you were cooking up some super soldiers, there's some argument in making them female to avoid being accused of breaching that law.) But she's not super-soldiery enough for that.
Only the Emperor himself can approve the founding of a new chapter. At least according to the data I have... Now whether you assume that the Emperor is actually approving things or that he's incapable (or just having his rule subjourned) and the High Lords are doing it on his behalf is entirely up to you.
Index Astartes states rather explicitly that the High Lords authorise Foundings on the Emperor's behalf (it's in the Rites Of Initiation article, under "Founding new Chapters", in WD 247 and the first Index Astartes book). Additionally, the old 3.5ED Codex: Chaos Space Marines states that the Astral Claws' creation was approved by the High Lords. I'm fairly sure that suggests the latter option.

DapperAnarchist

This is moving off-topic, but I love Imperial legal theory (does that make a super-nerd? Probably). The High Lords are effectively the Emperor, for legal purposes, as, interestingly, are Inquisitors. They have the same legal power as the Emperor, though obviously not His political or personal power. So, yes, that could mean an Inquisitor could attempt to found a Chapter, but exerting the political will over either the Administratum, the Mechanicus, or the Chapters that would be required to do that would be beyond most. The High Lords as a group have more political power than any other group in the Imperium, and so are the ultimate arbiters of large-scale Imperial action, such as founding a new Chapter.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Dolnikan

Technically inquisitors can indeed authorize the founding of a new chapter because they speak with the Emperor's voice. They are however much more likely to be stopped by other parties, such as other inquisitors. The high lords have the advantage in that regard that they have amongst them leaders of organizations that will be necessary for a founding, most prominently the mechanicus.

But to get closer to the topic, the high lord argument is meaningless in the case of genetic modifications, there one would only run into problems with the church and the mechanicus who will probably frown on all non-sanctioned modifications. The church will be likely to condemn all such things outright.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Nemesis

Someone earlier in the Thread said WS50 and BS50 was undertrained but i was just reading the front page and in said a trained soldier is 50, What should be the stat of WS and BS if you been trianed since 9 years of age till (what age does Virgo model look like 24-28?) but keep in mind she also has to study to get Sg to 66. (Calculus Logi Upgrade?)

The Melee Training and Gun training would be form henchmen (Veteran Guardsmen maybe Arch-militant)

Sg is form Magos biologist till 20 then she is transferred to the Legos Cybernetic (If at all possible?) someone said there might be two factions on the same planet. I was thinking not have an actual Men of Iron but like a video/picture recording and the Legos Cybernetica is trying to recreate the superior model as a robot? and this recording is found in a undercity so they just set up base there as the recording can't be moved. Transfer happens when Legos Cybernetica is close to completion but the local (food riots or gang wars) are getting heated so to get some field testing happen the benefactor sends in the successful experiments?

I was thinking she would have low leadership because the successful men were given officer training while the women were trained in proper etiquette. Also while she got along with the legos Cybernectic and there robots meaning in here future years she more focus on robot then human which says that either her leadership potential never been tested or that she Finds Robots just easy to command. But in saying so is leadership required for tactics and strategy because she does know how to use the robots.

MarcoSkoll

@Koval: Giovanna is about average. The answer is Lady Riemann, although some impressive heels and a very big hat disguise this somewhat.

Quote from: Dolnikan on April 14, 2012, 04:53:22 PMWhen genetically modifying someone you will often want to eliminate as many problems as possible.
Most genetically engineered individuals in the canon are male. Stormtroopers (although not all of them, of course), Servitors, Space Marines (although they're really more surgical chimeras, but genetics does enter into it), the Primarchs, etc...
So I imagine Imperial science has overcome most of the complications the Y chromosome has and brings with it (or at least deems them an acceptable risk).

Quote from: InquisitorHeidfeld on April 14, 2012, 06:06:39 PMOnly the Emperor himself can approve the founding of a new chapter.
The concept of Chapters didn't exist until after the Emperor was interred into the Golden Throne, so it would be odd if it was ever decreed that the High Lords couldn't make the decision in his name.

Quote from: Dolnikan on April 14, 2012, 09:47:49 PMBut to get closer to the topic, the high lord argument is meaningless in the case of genetic modifications
Perhaps, but I originally cooked it up as an answer to yet another "female Space Marines" topic on a different forum.

The short version is "Only the High Lords can order a Space Marine chapter, and given that they don't think female Marines would work, why would they even try to breach tradition? But the Imperium does have other ways to produce super-soldiers, and there might be a shout for making those female to make what you're doing seem a bit more above board."

I've actually slowly been working on some more specifics and may eventually model a 54mm lady not-marine. Weird, no doubt, but many of my characters are entirely tongue-in-cheek.

Quote from: Nemesis on April 15, 2012, 01:06:10 AMI was just reading the front page and it said a trained soldier is 50
In general, a stat of 50 represents competence in an area, but only marginally so. As for what a stat would be like, that entirely depends on how much training has been dedicated to it. Given her young age (but of course, with rejuvenat, people who look in their twenties might be a LOT older) and the amount of effort that would go into an Sg of almost 80, none of her combat stats would be stellar.

Quoteand this recording is found in a undercity so they just set up base there as the recording can't be moved.
Why can't it be moved? And for that matter, why can't they just "tape it off the radio"?

QuoteI was thinking she would have low leadership because the successful men were given officer training while the women were trained in proper etiquette.
Again, why? Etiquette isn't really the concern of the Mechanicus. (I should also point out that Leadership is a general stat that relates to communication and discipline, so good social training would produce a decent Ld.)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Nemesis

QuoteWhy can't it be moved? And for that matter, why can't they just "tape it off the radio"?

In a machine that is holy don't want to move it, wants to finish the creation before recording it and giving it out to others, don't know really just trying to keep it on world with out it being taking off world to a forgeworld or having a large explorer team in the undercity?

QuoteAgain, why? Etiquette isn't really the concern of the Mechanicus. (I should also point out that Leadership is a general stat that relates to communication and discipline, so good social training would produce a decent Ld.)

Magos Biologis (or Genetor) is getting funding to carry out experiments for the benefactor as for the training the benefactor provides needing men to lead and thinking along the lines of He wants the Females to be sold to nobles as bodyguards. Shrug* I stick with they all get the same training and just increase her Ld.

Magos Biologis (or Genetor) is to busy with research to teach a dozen or more at a time he leaves that to the scholars. But to have my main character to follow in the the Magos foot steps wouldn't she need to be under his tutelage. But why would Magos bother? Is she the Most stable out of the batch has the Magos done something to here that wasn't done to any of the others?

Edit: Was just looking through the Forums alot of people have characters with 60+ strength is my 67 genetic engineer special enough ? but looking at the model virgo not wanting massive hulk muscle think that a 60-70 strength would be right?

Edit 2: I was thinking around a idea of strength might drop it lower but have an ability say she pushes on a car but not strong enough to push it but the act alone stimulants muscle growth but at a rapid rate ( every turn while preforming the action increases success rate by 5 to a maximum of 80?) and then it would reside back down to normal strength levels

Edit: http://muju.deviantart.com/art/Robot-149067240?q=boost%3Apopular%20robot&qo=237 i like this design for a robot heavy forward light back http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=battle+robot#/d2ktc3r a little less high tech.

Ynek

Am I the only person having quiet nerdgasms about the idea of humanoid Tau AIs?

Maybe a Tau Earth Caste engineer has decided that an un-ending army of mechanical warriors is going to be his contribution to the Greater Good?
Or perhaps he discovered the remains of a man of iron somewhere and has decided that he is going to try to reverse-engineer the machine?

Heh... Why is it that I only have good ideas during exam time?
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Nemesis on April 15, 2012, 02:03:13 AMIn a machine that is holy don't want to move it
To be honest, something being sanctified would be a reason to get it off world and into proper hands as fast as possible. Better to be defended and kept from the unrighteous.

If anything, I suspect a better reason might be that they've remained in the hopes of scouring more of the underhive for more of the machine. Threatening local gangs and the like to see if any have seen some particular archeotech.

QuoteEdit: Was just looking through the Forums alot of people have characters with 60+ strength is my 67 genetic engineer special enough ? but looking at the model virgo not wanting massive hulk muscle think that a 60-70 strength would be right?
Even taking her height into account, I'd say that given how lightly built she is, 67 is probably generous.

The highest base strength (e.g. not counting bionics, power armour, drugs, etc) I've given a female character is 70, and she's a tank of a woman - most of six feet and three hundred pounds, with barely an ounce of that fat (although quite a lot of it is metal).
Other than her, I don't think I have any female characters past S60. (My male characters go up to S83, but that guy could stand eye to eye with a Space Marine.)

As for your idea to boost her strength... to be honest, it seems like unnecessary rules, as well as not hugely realistic.
Don't forget that she doesn't have to be a jack of all trades and can delegate - as you've got this whole Mechanicus theme, perhaps she should get some servitors or vat grown heavies to do the fighty/physical stuff and she should be focused on the thinky side of things.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

Such accellerated muscle growth would be nearly impossible to achieve and added to that, the energy investment would be much more efficient with the muscles already being there.

The model looks like someone without all that much strength. The mechanicus is unlikely to care about such things as the physical appearance of the warriors they create. Selling them to nobles and the like would only greatly enlarge the chances of discovery of a secret project. Someone with genetical engineering would not necessarily have enhanced strength, that is not everything that could have been worked on. Depending on the intended role a magus would do different modifications. It is very hard to make someone stronger without increasing muscle mass, out muscles are already very efficient, if simple modifications couldhave made them stronger without increasing the mass it would certainly have happened in nature already.

The mechanicus would have moved everything as quickly as they could, unless of course you're not dealing with normal mechanicus but more of a borderline heretical faction that tries to keep under the radar of the larger priesthood. There is no reason to not record the recording, if only for the purpose of studying it without having to risk the immensely valuable archeotech.

About the different training for males and females, this again is something a magos would not care about, many of them are basically genderless and many would not see much in the way of inherent differences. All flesh is weak after all.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Nemesis

All flesh is weak, even for a Magos Biologis or Genetor?

Dolnikan

The path to enlightenment remains technology. Even the biologis have extensive mechanical modifications made to their frames.

Nemesis

But could the Magos Biologis be Hire/paid or research funded by a noble and agreement be made that the noble receives any of the Subjects the Magos doesn't require to proceed with the Research.

The Noble who provides the funds is the one selling them but its nothing in the background work still trying to write it up nothing set in stone.

Dolnikan

A magus paid by such a noble would probably be a bit of a renegade. He would be very expensive and a noble could come up with the idea of selling them. The problem is to who can he sell them to get out the cost without drawing suspicion. If he says that they are modified it will attract unwanted attention to the project and if he doesn't theprice will be considered too high.

Kaled

A Magos is a high ranking member of the Mechanicus and is unlikely to need to look for funding, but if you want a character who might need a wealthy patron then maybe make him a heretek.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat