Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

ideas for 2 warbands

Started by 0604854, April 26, 2012, 05:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daemons can be trapped in weapons so i cannot see why not in a another device plus the c'tan certainly would have the reason to create this during the war in heaven as would the old ones
for that matter, at their height the eldar may have been capable (impridoning in a pocket in the webway).

Koval

Quote from: 0604854 on April 28, 2012, 10:24:36 AM
Daemons can be trapped in weapons so i cannot see why not in a another device
That's different. Daemons have to be specifically bound to weapons in order to trap them there, and by and large, that's powered by sorcery and/or sheer willpower, not science. Not to mention that daemons can fight their way out of such weapons and into their users.

Still i think the old ones, necrons and eldar have it in theor capabilities, i think that it could be the daemons are not actually trapped in the device bit it rather could be a portal to a picket dimension possibly of the webway that is a one way portal so daemons cannot escape

Charax

Daemons can be trapped in the Tesseract Labyrinth - the two sources don't actually conflict on that point. Where they differ is on how the Daemon feels about it. Codex: Necrons says the Daemons will "Corrupt and Devour" the pocket dimensions within the tesseract, and the Grey Knights codex says it's a fate worse than death as their isolation from the Warp erodes their ability to maintain cohesion.

it's entirely possible that a Daemon trapped in a tesseract will start off corrupting the pocket dimension, but that corruption will require power, and the only source of warp energy within the Tesseract dimension is the Daemon itself - unable to draw on any other power source but still compelled to spread corruption the Daemon will use the essence of its own being to carry out its goal, gleefully tearing itself apart in the persuit of its end.

But to corrupt a dimension is to control it, and normally doing so will allow the Daemon the ability to escape at will, unless prevented from doing so. Necrons have little talent for Warpcraft, the latest codex implies that Null Field technology is a large and power-hungry technology rarely deployed on less than a planetary scale, and even then generally confined to large Canoptek constructs, they are not integral to the design of the Tesseracts, because they would have no effect on the beings the tesseracts were designed to contain, the C'tan.

But the Grey Knights? they have millennia of experience fighting nothing but daemons, and they ward the tesseracts in such a way that makes escape impossible. the daemon can still corrupt the pocket dimension, but will be unable to escape even after gaining such control over it, like being given free reign over a prison but still being unable to escape it. It'll throw resources at the barrier - the only resource it has, itself - untill it is weak and dispersed, a barely-sentient thing controlling a pocket dimension that it is unable to even contemplate escaping until the labyrinth is opened, a connection to the warp is re-established and it can reconstitute itself and escape....into a warded interrogation chamber.
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Koval

Quote from: Charax on April 28, 2012, 12:03:29 PM
But the Grey Knights? they have millennia of experience fighting nothing but daemons, and they ward the tesseracts in such a way that makes escape impossible.
That's my point, though, since daemons don't much care about dimensional analysis in and of itself -- in particular, Tzeentchian types probably encounter weirder things than 4-D hypercubes on a daily basis. This more or less necessitates the extra protection you've mentioned that keeps a tesseract labyrinth's prisoner stuck there.

MarcoSkoll

I'd agree. Four dimensions in of itself? Come on, daemons live in the warp. Time and distance flow like water there. Seconds turn into years, years turn into hours, hours turn into centimetres, centimetres turn into walruses. It's a realm of no fixed rules, and as many or as few dimensions as it likes. Every now and again, daemons will wander through a bit of the warp that works like a Picasso painting for every Tuesday simultaneously, or an infinite expanse collapsed into a single dimensionless point for an eternity that lasts but an instant.

In my opinion, most daemons would probably be more amused that anyone thought that four dimensions was anywhere near weird enough to contain them.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

To contain a daemon you would probably require a lot of wardings, and in time, even they would fail. Daemons are the incarnation of insanity, I don;t think that it is possible to confuse them with their surroundings, they will always have encountered stranger things.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Mordenkenain

I was merely pointing out that it is not a cut and dried 'no way in hell' if you wanted to use it as a plot device.

However, should we not getting back to the purpose of this thread and help 0604854 with his warband(s) rather than discussing whether or not Mat Ward can even spell consistency
Bonis Nocet Quisquis Malis Pepercit

krenshar

For the eldar band, I think the vital consideration is in how they'll conflict with the other (likely Imperial human) warbands they encounter.  Are they arrogant and feel that it must be them who make the daemons suffer?  Are they gathering human psykers to act as bait for their enemy?  Or raiding libraries (or even forgeworld datastacks) for leads on the tesseract?  The more routes to their goal that you can think of, the easier it'll be to craft scenarios.

When you refer to the C'tan shard as the main boss, are you meaning the group to be the main npc antagonists of a campaign?  If so, a pumped up daemonhost archetype would work I reckon, with the degree of pumping dependent on style of campaign and the protagonist warbands involved - if the deathwatch are on call for instance, it can be quite the monster.  There's also the matter of how/if daemonology psychics and anti-psyk weapons affect the shard, to differentiate it from your regular warpspawn.

If you're after a warband for yourself to play in a campaign, perhaps lead it with a shard-possessed human; give them a wyrd power appropriate to the C'tan, perhaps Nerves of Steel if the shard forgets that it's host body is vulnerable to the material universe, and maybe a Sagacity over 100 or another quirk that fits better (my knowledge of C'tan going as far as that the Callidus temple nicked their swords).  Accompany that with a xenologist with a bionics obsession as he tries to turn himself into a necron and either some duped muscle or a cultist worshipping the shard-host as a saint.  Make it a resurrectionist cultist/preacher and you have conflict with the Hereticus and possibly every Thorian inquisitor out there.

Dullmohawk

While I agree with everyone else on the C'tan being too powerful for an Inquisitor game, I actually like the idea of the last Eldars of craftworld Kher-Ys. Though the vengeance-hook is tempting, you might want to consider the other options available to you. Like, one of the brothers (maybe he has dark hair and a brooding manner) seeks vengeance in his every move, cursing the wicked fate of the gods for their situation, while the other brother(who, maybe, has fair hair and a more open manner) might be on a quest of his own...maybe he wants to learn from the forces of chaos, dubbing his brother into thinking that they're on the same side, while all the while he's really looking for some way to bring back relatives or loved ones through the power of chaos.

Now, I'm not really much of a fluff-nut on 40k, and I know that the eldar race hates chaos as a whole and slaneesh especially, but in my opinion this game is all about interesting characters and fast paced, indulging games. If you want to go with the eldar brothers, I'd say go for it and let it develop from there.
Daemons make excellent arch-nemesises, as they're pretty much the incarnation of evil. And while the daemon will probably be two steps ahead of them in everything (and in every dimension) it's always nice when your characters does something unexpected. Like have a fallout with his brother. 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!