Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ynek's new WIP - Explicator Sophie Vandus

Started by Ynek, September 16, 2009, 12:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynek

After getting out of my plaster cast, I didn't feel quite confident enough to tackle a project on the scale of Inquisitor Thaddeus.

So, to get some more practice in sculpting, I decided to have a go at sculpting Explicator Sophie Vandus, who is mentioned in two of my character's backgrounds, and also in one of my (embarrassingly poor) short stories. I've never actually gotten round to making a model for her, and I thought that since I was looking for something to get me back into the swing of sculpting, that this would be a good place to start.

Whilst making the Hive Maiden, I made a set of partial moulds, which can be used to make a number of the parts necessary to build her. I used one of these partial moulds to make the legs and torso for Sophie, purely to save time, and also because I wanted to see if the Maiden's moulds could be used to make non-cyberfreak characters.

"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Gestalt

Imressive. The moulds you have created appear to work well. Though I can't get the image of jelly tots out of my head. The face is particularly well sculpted.
"All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity."
                                   Blaise Pascal

TheNephew

Agreed, the face is great.
I'm very impressed with the chainsword as well - very sharp cast.
How are you planning on expanding it from here, with clothes and/or equipment?
Flapping overcoat? Synskin? starched uniform?

Inquisitor Liss

Hadriel Caine

that face is brilliant!

if somebody was to sculpt and cast some decent 54mm heads for women I would definitely buy them...
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Kaled

I can only echo what the others have said - very nice work on that face. :)
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

kierkegaard

I will also chip in with my hearty congratulations on an excellent sculpting job. The face looks great, and the casts of the Hive Maiden and chainsword look superb (although strangely gelatinous - what is the substance that you used to cast them?)

Looking forward to seeing progress on this.

Myriad

I would second that it's all looking promising, and the castings have worked well. 
The only reservation I have is that the hive maiden pose seems perhaps a touch too dynamic for a more normal character - there's a touch of the frenzied lunge about it.  Of course, the model is still at a comparitively early stage and the final sculpt will no doubt look great.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Ynek

Whole model:

Side of head w/ bionics

Other side of head

And of course, the boobs. In the beginning, I was quite worried that the Hive Maiden's body wouldn't look normal with boobs on it, but I was pleasantly surprised with how they came out.

Quote from: kierkegaard on September 17, 2009, 12:05:40 AM
what is the substance that you used to cast them?
It's a polystyrene resin, from what the bottle tells me. I just asked for a bottle of "hand-laminating resin" from a fibreglass wholesaler and this is what they gave me. It works quite well, but it's a real devil to clean off of anything if you accidentally spill some. If you get it on your hands, you'll have sticky hands for hours.

Quote from: TheNephew on September 16, 2009, 01:36:47 PM
How are you planning on expanding it from here, with clothes and/or equipment?
Flapping overcoat? Synskin? starched uniform?
In my concept drawings, she's got a long coat with one sleeve torn off, chainsaw scabbard, pistol holster, heavy calf-high "Rocker chick" boots, and very long hair that's been tied back behind her head.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Hadriel Caine

update update update! I was just looking at this thread again last night. looks like you are making good progress, she certainly is... well endowed.

What kinda timescale do you usually have for sculpting an INQ mini? it looks like a MUCH more involved process than I am used to and as such I'm intrigued.

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Ynek

Quote from: Adam Cunis on September 25, 2009, 12:01:51 AM
update update update! I was just looking at this thread again last night. looks like you are making good progress, she certainly is... well endowed.

What kinda timescale do you usually have for sculpting an INQ mini? it looks like a MUCH more involved process than I am used to and as such I'm intrigued.

Adam

The boobs aren't quite as massive as that picture makes them look. Due to the fact that I don't actually own a still iimage camera, I took those pictures with my webcam at my computer desk, and as the webcam doesn't have a zoom I had to put the camera pretty close up. This created a little bit of a perspective issue, which makes the boobs look a bit bigger than perhaps they should be.

As for my sculpting/converting timescale, to be honest, I always work to the principle of "as long as it takes." The Hive Maiden sculpture took me the best part of three months, because I kept wanting to redo bits and fine tune it, and then going back to tweak concept images... All in all, I took my time over it to make sure that I would be happy with what I produced.

The Ork, in comparison, was done comparitively quickly. If we don't count the two months of being in a plaster cast, the ork only took me a week or two. Similarly, the Hrud I did only took me a couple of days, but the main reason that I made him was to experiment with a new armature technique, so the sculpting was really quite slapdash in places.

Ynek

Another update!
I've started to add the first pieces of clothing to the model, and also made a start on the hands. Currently, she has one boot completed, and the waistband of her trousers is also pretty much done. It's not exactly as big as the last two updates, but I thought that it was still worth sharing. ^_^

[EDIT:] I also worked a little bit on a sword scabbard today, but after making it, I think that it looks a bit silly on the model as it seems so comically large. However, if I make it any smaller, it would not be able to accept the full length of her sword.

Instead, I'm thinking that I might just give her some sort of electromagnet panel strapped to her back, which the sword can be attached to when she isn't using it. The pistol is normally tucked away in her coat, so it isn't a worry...

I also sculpted her tied-back hair, which aside from looking a bit undynamic, doesn't look too bad.

RobSkib

Does she need a holster for that thing? Couldn't you get away with using an over-the-shoulder strap or a belt clip or something like that?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

phil-o-mat

very impressive.
but drop the holster, it`s way too bulky.

psycho

love the mini
was gonna ask if youd "ahem" sell or trade the bits lol
but yeah lose the sheath its way tooo bulky mate and the mini loses some of its finesse

kerby