Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Scum, Subs, and Muties

Started by Van Helser, September 10, 2012, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

maybe a bit of an ink across the join?

also, background-wise, would he be able to morph weapons? the flesh-coloured rifle butt is a bit jarring...
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Shannow

Agree with Gav about the rifle butt, perhaps look better as distinct item in itself?

But the effect works well I think overall.. Though I am now reminded of red dwarf polymorphs :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Alyster Wick

Whether or not the creature can transmorph weapons I think the effect on the gun looks really cool. I also like how (it appears) he's changing race/ethnicity with the transformation.

A couple thoughts, I like that the camo spots look similar to his "natural" fleshtone, it seems to ad in a sense of "what's flesh and what isn't?" post-transformation. That said I think it makes things look a little confusing when the camo spots are too close to the transition area (as in the helmet). Maybe making is look like color is still bleeding into those regions could help (do some darker fleshtone lines highlighted up until it's lighter in the center to make it look like color is pulsing in along some kind of veins).

For the overall transition I think you should darken the tendrils of green. I see what you're going for and I think the effect worked out brilliantly on the gun but for whatever reason the lighter green just doesn't convince me. Having a very stark green at the center of the tendrils I think would work well in this scenario. There seem to be two options then, either have the tendrils more starkly drop off to straight fleshtones (less blended, more of an affect mirroring the join between a symbiot and host from Spiderman, see Venom, Carnage etc for examples). Otherwise you could try having flesh colored tendrils coming into the green just as sharply and fade to a mid-tone between the two of them. This would strike me as very difficult but very rewarding.

These are all theoretical as I've never tried this effect before.

DapperAnarchist

How about have no transition, instead a border? I've seen some good Tau stealth suits where there was the glossy black of the shell, the rock pattern of the stealth field, and a blue electric border between the two, it worked well.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Van Helser

I've made a couple of subtle changes to the areas of transformation.  The gun does seem to be a controversial point here and elsewhere.  If it helps, it's not a real gun, but just something that has been morphed to allow the shapeshifter to blend in as a guardsman better, much like the body armour and helmet.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Ruaridh

Shannow

Looks much better I think, in particular the little vein like additions on his shoulder are a really neat little touch that stands out to me.

And that makes much more sense about his gun! How would you play that in a game in terms of equipment?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Heroka Vendile

I wonder if perhaps some sculpted blending of the gun into the body/right arm would help make it clearer that it is an extension of the shapeshifting rather than an actual gun - although it'd be a pain to do back and do that now.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Van Helser

Quote from: Shannow on February 23, 2013, 12:46:34 PM
And that makes much more sense about his gun! How would you play that in a game in terms of equipment?

Sorry Shannow, I forgot to reply to this last week.

Essentially, he has no weaponry on him.  He could make improvised close combat attacks with a club formed from his own flesh, say, but if it were parried he'd suffer damage to his arm.  Nothing to stop him picking up guns from other characters though.

That might have been a good idea Euan.  I was hoping the painting would do the job, but maybe it did need some ProCreate across the arm into the gun butt.

Ruaridh

Koval

How about a Toughness test to generate a weapon, Obliterator style?

Shannow

Ah I see, I suppose there is always the scenario of approaching a character from behind and pressing a morphed 'gun' to there head as they are to know. Make an interesting hostage situation certainly.

Time to die.