Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Water Caste Bodyguard

Started by Crystal-Maze, January 01, 2013, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crystal-Maze

I am planning a game that centres around a water caste trader (por'el rank) who has been dealing with humans. I would like him to have a bodyguard, but got stuck at wondering what the bodyguard's designation would likely be. I assume he would be fire caste, as they are the warriors, though I'm not sure if fire caste ever actually leave the main Tau military (the codex does say that the only way to leave the tau military is to age out or die). Similarly, would a bodyguard for a high ranking member of another caste be a 'vre (as the bodyguards for shas'els are), although the honour guard of an ethereal are said to forsake all rank progression. Or would they be of a more lowly 'ui or 'la rank, as they are not actively participating in battle? 

Any and all help more than welcome :)

Koval

I might downgrade the Por'el to a Por'vre, personally, as a Por'el is going to be more like a managing director.

I don't see much wrong in giving him a Shas'la or Shas'ui bodyguard -- a Shas'vre has the job of supporting a Shas'el or Shas'o and is probably compared most easily with a warrant officer or possibly Lieutenant. They're pretty important figures. Lower ranks would be less prominent (and in any case I also imagine them filling law enforcement roles), so would be easier to "borrow" for security purposes as the military has less need of them.

Don't forget drones, either. :P

Crystal-Maze

I just found my old tau codex (previous edition) and the 'A tau'cyr among the kroot' story in it features a fio'ui with a shas'la bodyguard. Given that relationship, a por'vre with a shas'ui vetran as a bodyguard seems fitting.

greenstuff_gav

with the Summer 'clave i took A Fire Warrior who is a bodyguard for the Air Caste.. wanted to play with the "not speaking gothic" side but didn't really get opportunity as everyone shot him on sight!

i've played it that older veterans, secure in The Greater Good maybe sent out from the Empire; you'd not want lower ranks, able to be persuaded and tempted by the distance away from the Ethereals...
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

I almost wonder if veteran ranks would be more likely to be tempted away. After all, they have had so many decades in which doubt could creep in. A youthful conviction might actually be welcome.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Quote from: Crystal-Maze on January 02, 2013, 02:58:34 PM
I just found my old tau codex (previous edition) and the 'A tau'cyr among the kroot' story in it features a fio'ui with a shas'la bodyguard. Given that relationship, a por'vre with a shas'ui vetran as a bodyguard seems fitting.
I know the guy who wrote that story, for what it's worth. I asked him "why the Shas'la?" and his answer was simply "because they're the ones who know how to fight", thus kind of opening the door for a predominantly military caste to have a more civilian or "private" role as well.

Sure, it's not explicitly canon, but none of the other castes are really suited to keeping the peace, and I refuse to believe, for example, that the Tau have no law enforcement, secret police, or indeed bodyguards -- considering how many subservient races they have, and how they treat human POWs, it's pretty much compulsory.

Easy E

Perhaps the Water Caste's bodyguards wouldn't be other Tau?  Why would it need to be?   

Perhaps if would be a Kroot, Xeno Merc, or Human Merc/Guel'vesa?  Just some thoughts to add spice to the warband. 
^Cheapskate^

Koval

At the risk of sounding a tad blunt, I'm guessing Crystal Maze is asking about Tau because that's what he wants.

From a contact's point of view, it's probably a lot easier if they're dealing only with one species, rather than multiple types of aliens or Gue'vesa, unless it's the Gue'vesa that's the first point of contact rather than the Tau itself. On the other hand, I imagine it puts the Tau at a disadvantage if they have to introduce the non-Tau as "a subject of the Tau Empire" and risk creating the impression that the Empire consists of "the Tau, and then everyone else".

It's probably easier to limit the number of species in the group to avoid making it look like a cast of token minorities, whereas having multiple Tau creates a stronger impression that it's a Tau warband and that the Por caste guy should be the main focus.

Crystal-Maze

I did indeed ask about the tau system as I wanted a tau bodyguard; I wanted to include a fire caste but without the militaristic backdrop that comes along with them usually, one more suited to the shadow war that inquisitor portrays. Gue'vesa may be included later, as the water caste has been trading with humans in the area, who may later defect to the empire.

Thankyou very much for your help people :)