Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Obliterater Virus

Started by Hiver20, March 28, 2013, 10:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiver20

Hi there,
I was wondering what Ordos would take a interest in the Obliterater virus and also what sort of philosophy/faction would want to find out about it?
Personally I think it would be the Ordos Xeno/Ordos Spetulum and the Xanithnies or even the Ivvaanians.
Would love to hear peoples opinions about it as I am making a Inquisitior who is searching for a way of controlling the virus.

Hiver20
What's this thing you call a Sky? I've never seen the Sky before. So this is the Sky? Where's the ceiling then?

MarcoSkoll

More likely the Ordo Malleus than Xenos - it is a warp virus, not an alien one. The Sepulturum however would be the most natural choice, seeing as they were created to deal with disease of all sorts.

As far as factions, I'd say your goal was better suited by the Xanthites. An Istvaanian isn't out of the question, but less likely for the purposes you have in mind.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Your best bet by far is the Ordo Malleus (with the Sepulturum coming in second, and I imagine the Hereticus as a distant third*).

However, I'll point out that while the Obliterator Virus is technically still around, Obliterators themselves have been retconned from "the virus makes them" to "we don't actually know where the hell they come from". So the virus has ended up becoming one possibility of many, all lumped under "Chaos Did It". (And to be fair, there could well be more than one way to make an Obliterator.)

*Based on "we don't know", an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor that's interested in Obliterators might well be of the opinion that they're products of Dark Mechanicus engineering and Warpcraft. Now, since the Dark Mechanicus are all hereteks anyway, the Ordo Hereticus probably don't need an excuse to start digging around, but the Ordo Malleus get the Chaos connection (so they're easy) and the Ordo Sepulturum get the Obliterator Virus theory to play with.

Hiver20

Thank you so much for your opinions ;D

I will now make a more informed choice of my Inquisitior is going to do and what apart of his background can be. ;D

here's a rough idea,
Jeremiah Newton is a Inquisitior of the Ordos Sepulturum and a Istvaanian, who is trying to find out how people become infected by the Obliterater virus but also how its able to change some people for the better, so maybe if the Imperium was able to harness it, they could take one step into becoming the perfect warriors of the universe.

How's that for a rough idea for my character:-)
Hiver20
What's this thing you call a Sky? I've never seen the Sky before. So this is the Sky? Where's the ceiling then?

Ynek

Quote from: Koval on March 28, 2013, 06:21:07 PM
I imagine the Hereticus as a distant third

Unless Obliterator Cults have been completely retconned from the background material, (and given GW's current track record, I wouldn't be surprised if they had,) then I'd think that the Ordo Hereticus would take a great amount of interest in the Obliterator Virus, assuming of course that it is a virus.

Generally speaking, though, I always imagined that an Obliterator was simply the name given to any individual who could manifest weapons and armour from warp-energy, regardless of how they actually managed to attain such powers. Some might be the victims of a chaos sorceror's curse that turns them into beweaponed thralls. Some might be created through a person wearing daemonically possessed armour, and using daemonically possessed weapons, all of which suddenly decide that they want to fuse together into one unholy abomination. Some might be the victims of some kind of obliterator virus, (and personally, I've always thought that 'obliterator virus' was an Imperial terminology for something that isn't well understood. I always imagined that the Obliterator Virus was more like a swarm of artificial self-replicating nanites rather than an actual virus).

But anyway, to bring myself back on topic, I think that the Hereticus would take a great deal of interest in Obliterators due to their tendancy to start cults within the imperium. Since the Hereticus' mission statement is to wipe out the enemy within, this would mean that Obliterator cults fall into their "pseudojurisdiction."

Also, since the Hereticus is the largest ordo by far, I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of Inquisitors with experience in fighting the Obliterators belonged to the OH.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Koval

Quote from: Ynek on March 31, 2013, 07:25:41 PM
Unless Obliterator Cults have been completely retconned from the background material, (and given GW's current track record, I wouldn't be surprised if they had,)
There is indeed a mention of "Obliterator cults" (with a small c) in the current Codex entry for them. However, the word "cult" appears to be the group noun for a collection of Obliterators, much like we'd refer to a pack of wolves -- there's no mention of Obliterators spawning cults (inadvertantly or otherwise) within, or outside of, the Imperium.

However, I will concede that the word "distant" might have been a tad unfair.

Seargent Maxwell Forest

Quote from: Hiver20 on March 28, 2013, 07:45:43 PM
Jeremiah Newton is a Inquisitior of the Ordos Sepulturum and a Istvaanian, who is trying to find out how people become infected by the Obliterater virus but also how its able to change some people for the better, so maybe if the Imperium was able to harness it, they could take one step into becoming the perfect warriors of the universe.

Yeah like this never ends badly! :)
"What happens to the Imperium should it realy achieve peace?"

Hiver20

Agreed but it works so well:-)

Hiver20