Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Music for games!!

Started by Ventriss, September 23, 2009, 04:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tullio

I'm going to risk putting my head on the chopping block here and say that metal tends not to make for appropiate soundtrack style music for the Inquisitor. Here's why - Inquisitor is about holding back the despairingly large plethora of threats to human existence for just a little bit longer. It's seldom hopeful, it's dark, and in many cases, it's tragic. Metal in general tends to end up being a sort of half-serious celebration of prehistoric ideas of masculinity.

As for theme music, well I'm Not Working (Manic Street Preachers) fits Explicator Marin da Massilia to a T. She's burnt out and emotionally drained from working for Lord Inquisitor Dantini, and frankly assuming that sooner or later she'll be disposed of. And doesn't care anymore

Tullio

Vladimir

True, but that depends on what metal your talking about... I've found that a lot of Doom (think Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride) is actually really good for this kind of gaming.
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

Necris

I like to listen to the Gaunts Ghost Traitor General soundtrack

failing that being on hand the Hellsing OVA is quite appropriate as well in fact just hellsing screening in the background would be appropriate
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Brother_Brimstone

Got to agree with the doom metal suggestion - Anathema is a personal favourite of mine from that genre - A Fine Day To Exit is intriguing and dark. While I agree that Deep Purple, for example would be unsuitable, a band like Cult Of Luna would be perfect.

Metal is a wide term, and while New Wave Of British Heavy Metal bands (such as Iron Maiden or Motorhead) are unsuitable, Sluge, Doom, Industrial and Gothic metal can all be very good for the 40K 'verse.

However, sticking by what I said earlier, metal in all shapes and forms is not the ONLY source, or IMO the best. I personally prefer to get my inspiration from darker alternative rock bands, being of the opinion that quieter music (in general) can be much more sinister than louder music.

In response to Marco, as theme songs for characters go, Severin Reed is (perhaps too obviously) inspired by Venus In Furs by The Velvet Undergorund (Severin from the name of the book/film/song's main character, Reed from Lou Reed), and Wicked Willie is actually inspired by a combination of a lot of punk music ('I am an antichrist and I am an anarchist!').

The general attitude and feel of punk, the unrest, the anger, and its tendancy towards anarchy are all themes I wanted Willie to express. Celtic Punk bands such as Dropkick Murpheys, with their heroic portrayal of the 'working class' (think 'Boys On The Docks') really inspired me to want to create a character who was more than a rebellious idiot (as punks are sometimes portrayed), but a brilliant person who was brought up under poorer conditions, accounting for Willie's exceptional intelligence.

Zakkeg

Call me crazy if you like, but I guarantee that you can find something by Dylan to fit any scenario (or character, or whatever). For Inquisitor, a personal favourite of mine is All Along the Watchtower (also Inquisitor Malkevid's unofficial theme song). Not Dark Yet can also work quite well in the right context. You could probably find a completely appropriate and in-genre song for a summoning ritual if you tried hard enough. The man's work is omnifarious.

That's your word of the day, incidentally.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Morcus

To be fair, you can find some Dylan to fit literally any theme, full stop.

These kind of threads on 40K forums seem to only turn up metal, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who plays to Jimmy Web songs (I was working on a transient Character inspired by 'Witchita Linesman' which induces a wonderful mix of feelings, and is dark in its own way.) I was working on trying to make a campaign based on the Album, Unkown Pleasures but it had a tendance to be to close to one of those musicals like Mama Mia where they just thread loads of songs together with filler to form something like a story.

I think the soundtrack to Brazil is very good to play to but all said, I don't have special music that I play to. It will usually be something selected from what I have available on the best format available (Vynil, CD, Cassette, Radio, MP3, TV in that order).

Zakkeg

Quote from: Morcus on August 19, 2010, 12:20:00 AM
To be fair, you can find some Dylan to fit literally any theme, full stop.

Like I said. Omnifarious. ;)

And good god - how can you rate cassettes above, well, anything?
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Flinty

Cassettes! some of my fondest gaming memories have a backdrop of music with a very slight repetative grind/squeak as the spools went round. No doubt due to the fact that you could pick them up for virtually free at any car boot/gagrage  or yard sale.

And you could splice them together. The 'Southern Comfort' sound track, cut with 'Paul Whitehead and his Jazz Band' and a  forgettable Cajun compliation was very well recieved for a Call of Cuthulu scenario set in a creepy old 1920's Bayou's, not least for the time and effort sticking tape together with sellotape sucessfully. Plus you could record yourself really easily; set up a mic on the PC - pah! just press the red button.

Im honestly not that old...
Neanderthal and Proud!

JoelMcKickass

The Invader's Must Die album by the Prodigy is full of a good amount of songs that create some pretty epic scenes.

psycho

something by Nightwish is always good but bands such as Mudvayne, Fear Factory, Staind or Jimmy Eats World are always good....

kerby

Kresten

metal works, but for something a bit different, and also designed to be a soundtrack try amon tobin. Not all of his stuff would work, but definitely the Splinter cell: Chaos theory soundtrack or Foley Room would work perfectly, I mean he samples actual Tiger growls and chainsaws. Also in the metal vein, how about something instrumental, like Pelican or Russian Circles although not all of Russian Circles would work.

If you havent heard of any of these I recommend listening anyway.

And btw you shall be declared excommunicatus traitoris for saying that motorhead is 'new wave' Brimstone :P
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

Morcus

Cassette has a certain warmth to it, and I like how it works with regard to stopping and starting and FF RW, The machine in my Dads car even has the ability to skip to the next track like on a cd). Cassettes are great because they're nowhere near as delicate as CDs and so much easier to use for home recording. I miss having a cassette machine in the car, you could keep loose cassettes all over the car in any space that provided itself, if you do that with CD they don't last long.

This has just come to me because I've got it on the Deck at the moment but the sond track to the Movie the Doors would work well for inspiration and gaming music.

Zakkeg

Break On Through? Riders on the Storm? The End? Yeah, I could see that.

But cassettes? Really? I mean, vinyls have a certain warmth. Cassettes just sound grainy, and squeaky, and...

I get nostalgia, I really do. Just pick something that's worth being nostalgic about. ;)

Morcus

In my youth we pretty much only had cassette. I'm only 23 but until the 2000's CD was too expensive as were consumables for record players so everything was on cassette. Its deffinitly the best medium for use in the car. Road noise drowns out the wine and it doesn't get killed when you go over a pot hole.

Its a great album, I found the cassette clearing out my folks old house (They're not dead, they've just moved to the otherside of the Country).

DapperAnarchist

Aw yeah, cassettes - I had some of my sisters old copied cassettes in school - Talking Heads, Weezer, Blur, Radiohead... brilliant.

A fantastic song for Chaos, specifically Khorne or some Undivided, is Rats Eyes by Black Flag. Vicious stuff...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!