Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Music for games!!

Started by Ventriss, September 23, 2009, 04:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaius

Well, this is something i use more for Dark Heresy than Inquisitor, but its really a matter of theme.

Dark Ambient music is great for any kind of tense or horror theme. I will admit that i hadn't listened to the genre at all until about a month ago, when i bought the 'Continue' album by Lull. Since then i have hunted down their entire discography.
The entire album is just one 'track', and it is an hour of dark, atmospheric and tense sound. (So the atmosphere does not get broken by a song change  ;) )
It doesn't really have any distinctive melodies or rhythmic patterns, but it is precisely the kind of 'atmospheric music' you would get in a sci fi horror movie (case in point, can anyone hum something from the Aliens movies?).

;D I love listening to their music while i am writing the next weeks DH game, it really puts me in a mood to put my players' (characters) through a lovecraftian nightmare

For classical music, Saint-Saƫns' Danse Macabre is a must, and for metal... i would say Rhapsody, but the fantasy themes might jar. Maybe some Dio, if thats your thing

all of my opinions should be hinged on the fact that i am a music student majoring in composition, so my musical tastes are... eclectic at best, and downright insane at worst. I'm not arguing that my views are more valid because of this, rather that your millage may vary, especially on more sane engines

Dosdamt

Ghosts - Nine Inch Nails

My players will be discovering just how uncomfortable parts of those four albums actually are.... Muahahaha....

-Ben
It is never too late! - Mentirius

http://thementalmarine.proboards.com/index.cgi <- The Mind, for all your irreverent nonsense needs

Macabre

Anything by Immediate Music, X-Ray Dog, E.S. Posthumous (especially Pompeii), Epicon (released by Immediate Music), Two Steps From Hell, and on an original note Ligetti's Lux Aeterna and composed by Clint Mansell, O'Verona by Craig Armstrong (perfect for and end of game boss appearance) and Summon The Worms by (I think) Brian Tyler.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

DapperAnarchist

Available for free on the official game website is MooZe's soundtrack for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - ambient, dark, sinister, paranoid, wonderful. I also associate Godspeed You! Black Emperor with Inquisitor for some reason...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Vladimir

Hm. It may not work so well for Inquisitor, but I've found that some folk metal (Cruachan, Eluveitie) gets a good atmosphere for role-playing games.
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

Inq Leonite

When I start, I think I'll start using the songs "Supernova" and "Supernova love" from Kamen Rider Kiva as victory/close to victory songs.

MarcoSkoll

As this thread has come up again, I'll talk about one of my other habits regarding music and Inquisitor.

I occasionally give my characters "theme music". A piece of music, that whatever reason, I associate with them.
Perhaps I think would form the basis for their leitmotif in a film, maybe it has lyrics that suit them - or sometimes, it's just a piece I think they'd like.

Anyone else do something similar?

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

I came up with an idea for a character based entirely on the Black Flag song "Rat's Eyes" - I see the world through rat's eyes, rat's eyes, rat's eyes...

Brother_Brimstone

I always find it interesting how inevitably the recommendations for things like this are metal - it always makes me wonder whether this reflects upon the themes of much metal or the type of person who generally plays games like this. It's probably a bit of both.

A main ongoing inspiration for many characters has been Mark Lanegan's cover of 'Man In The Long Black Coat' - both its lyrics and general feel. 'The Outsider' by A perfect Circle is another inspiration for me when designing characters, and i find any album by Tool is good background music while gaming.

A surprising one is either of the 'Ambient Works' albums by Aphex Twin - but especially the first. I listen to it whenever i read my favourite book, Neuromancer, and the combination of the two often gives my inspiration for new characters (although as a result, the characters are often a little more cyberpunk than your average 40k character).

Depeche Mode, surprisingly enough, is an ongiong inspiration - especially 'Enjoy The Silence', more for the lyrics than the atmosphere. The album 'Murder Ballads' by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is another that inspires me through lyrics rather than feel.

I find that inspiration can come from many different types of music, either through lyrics or atmosphere though, so i generally make playlists of lots of different songs by different artists from different genres to fit the mood of the game.

DapperAnarchist

For some non-metal - I, for reason inexplicable, associate Blur and a band called Balthrop, Alabama with Inquisitor...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Brother_Brimstone on February 27, 2010, 08:55:46 PMI always find it interesting how inevitably the recommendations for things like this are metal.
Well, I can't quite say that I find Ska or 60s pop particularly good background music for Inquisitor.

While I wouldn't suggest metal if I didn't like it, there's a whole lot of music I like that I wouldn't use for Inquisitor - and indeed, some pieces I use for Inquisitor, but which I seldom listen to casually.

GW's =I= articles

Brother_Brimstone

I agree that the two examples you give would be ill suited but there are plenty of genres other than metal that would fit. Darker themed electronica is ideal (as i suggested in my post), industrial is absolutely perfect, dark ambient is great, there's a lot of suitable alt. rock (smashing pumpkins comes to mind) and goth can fit very well (e.g. detonation boulevard by sisters of mercy, or a rock and a hard place).

My point was only that there are suitable and unsuitable genres, Ska and 60s rock would mainly be the latter, but metal isnt the only (or even, necessarily the most suitable) of the former.

Gnaeus Conlitor

Its more Rogue Trader than Inquisitor but the soundtrack from Muppet Treasure Island is quite atmospheric.
Inquisitor got me in to roleplaying which in turn kick started my writing career. I am eternally grateful.

psycho

DUDE I LOVE THAT FILM!"hmmmm...you have boom-stick....bye bye" hahahaha awesomeon a more serious note i managed a small game against my dad the other night (in 28mm none-the-less) and we had the Phil Lynott Perisian Walkways single playing through the Wurlitzer......was pretty cinematic with the long note whilst my Inquisitor was attempting to swing across buildings using nought but a garotte wire wrapped around an electric cable.....lets just say it didnt end well and he now has a fear of heights......kerby

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 26, 2010, 01:01:34 AMPerhaps I think would form the basis for their leitmotif in a film, maybe it has lyrics that suit them - or sometimes, it's just a piece I think they'd like.
To continue on this theme (pun intended), I figured I should give some examples:

Inquisitor Marco Robert Skoll:
- Amaranth (Instrumental) - Nightwish: This piece is pretty symbolic of Marco's personality. With the powerful bass line and drums the strong-willed core to his mind, the "choruses" (depending on how far through the track, and thus, how powerful they are) are either the brighter side of his character, or the forceful and formidable side that you don't mess with. 
- Fanfare for the common man - Aaron Copland: The title counts, pretty much.  Marco perceives an Inquisitor as a job, not a person - behind his role, he still sees himself as little removed from any other human (a curious off-shoot of his homeworld's culture).

Staff Sergeant Silva Abigail Birgen:
- Eramaan Viimeinen (Instrumental) - Nightwish: This piece, quite bright in tone and with some real energy, fits quite well with Silva's personality.
- Killing in the name - Rage against the Machine: The lyrics mirror Silva's general attitude to the Imperium. She no longer has any respect or tolerance for people who don't have respect for her - were she an Inquisitor, she'd pretty much be a Recongregator.

Marco/Silva:
-When tomorrow comes - Eurythmics: Lyrically, this song brilliantly describes the relationship of the pair.

Marie Laetitia Serephine Deveraux (Frost):
- Septimus - Ilan Eshkeri: Quick in pace and varying between light and dark tones, this piece is Frost in a nutshell.

Inquisitor Lyra Joandra Rhodes:
- Go your own way - Fleetwood Mac: The tone of this song goes with the lighter side of Lyra's character. The lyrics are appropriate too (for the most part, at least) - over her life Lyra has had to make some decisions to let people she cared about go.

~~~~~

Anyway, I am not in bed. I should be in bed. This situation requires remedying.

GW's =I= articles