Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

For the Emperor (and my sanity)

Started by Vain, July 19, 2013, 02:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vain

Hi there, I'm a total newbie to the world of Inquisitor but have recently come into possession of a few of the models.

(Ok, that is a lie, it was a year ago that I got the models but it was only in the past week, when reading through a copy of White Dwarf, that I got inspired and started assembling my men at 11pm at night.)

I have an small collection of Imperials at the moment, the only constructed ones being Artemis and Malicant right now.

You can probably see there is some considerable greenstuffing on the foot of Artemis (and a lot in his knees and hips) due to his previous owner hacking him up for a conversion, and then never completing it.

I am hoping that somehow, someway, I can get the helmeted head for Artemis as my paint skills are not really that good when it comes to skin and I don't want to botch such a great model. If you know where I can get one please do let me know.

I will post more when my Josef has been greenstuff filled and I have stripped/assembled Tyrus and start painting my zealous quartet.

Vain

I should also explain the title, these guys are going to be my reward miniatures after painting a bunch of regular 40 miniatures. Painting 75+ Marines plus Vehicles in Deathwatch Black/Silver/Red with extreme highlights wears me down somewhat so I need to change things up....with a giant Deathwatch Marine...I really didn't think this through. At lease I can splash out with the other models and their colours.

Vain

Well today was a nice cruisy Saturday with nothing but rain so I got to work on my peeps.

First up is a mix-n-match Tyrus.

Considering the abundance of Black/Red/Silver that I have had to paint I think I am going to go with a more striking Blue/Gold combo with the Silver highlights on the =][= icons. Any thoughts?

You may have noticed he has some plastic parts and =][= Covenant's head. The head is because I had it and liked it better than Tyrus' regular head, but the plastics are there to either cover areas that I didn't have the pieces for (thumb, belt buckle, shoulder shield) or to add a little bit of different colour to the rear of the model which will look very blocky otherwise.
Also, is the head ok or should I lower it a bit to get  more realistic height?

Next is Preacher Josef

This guy is pretty bog standard but I think I am missing a piece so I have given him some scroll work as well to hide the seams as well a replace the missing part(s)

Going for the Friar Tuck brown look with his outfit, and slightly darker leather. Hammer is probably going to be silver with red grip tape but am unsure what colour to make the glove/fist?

Coming back to Devotee Malicant

Just the Purity Seal on the blade (going to have the seal stained with blood and see how we go from there) a plastic book to replace the missing metal one and a scroll to replace his missing little pendant thing. I don't know how by my Malicant wont fit in the pose on the website so he ended up like this.

Also, don't think I have his shoulder pads. Should I leave them bare or try to get something to cover them?

If you have gotten down here, thank you for reading. Don't be shy to let me know what you think.

Van Helser

Always nice to see some new submissions around here!

I think you've made a solid start with the figures.  Simple head swaps and accoutrements like you've used are a great way to distinguish your models from the stock ones. 

To get a helmeted head to swap for Artemis's one, I definitely wouldn't advise sending a PM to Greenstuff_Gav as he almost certainly won't have a cast head or two for trade.

As for the other questions:

Covenant's head on Tyrus looks fine.  That is quite a big neck piece on Tyrus's armour, and I'd expect any head to have its chin covered by it.  Maybe if you dropped it another mm or two it would be bang on.  With a deep blue on the armour you would get a nice contrast to all the red.

I'd say either gold or bronze for Josef's glove.  I think it should look antique-y. 

For Malicant the shoulder pads aren't a necessity.  That said, asymmetrical shoulder pads are a must have accessory in 41st millennium fashion.  Do you think you'd be up to sculpting quilted flak pads?  I did one on this guy.  They fit the aesthetic pretty well.

Looking forward to progress on these.

Oh, and before I forget - who's the guy with mini-gun in the right side of your introductory picture?

Ruaridh

Vain

Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure I will not ask that Gav guy about any helmets.

As for the Chaingun dude...

A sweet model, but sadly more of a 32mm scale than a 54mm one. Could work in a 28mm warband as a super-super mutant but more of a display piece than anything else.

Cheers for the suggestions on the colours. If it is nice enough outside tomorrow I might get some spraying done.