Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

2014 Dual Scale Spring Event -- Ancient Rites -- WHW, May 3rd

Started by Koval, September 28, 2013, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krenshar

Delayed but not deterred, I'll be with you all by 11am. I also have a novice along for the ride if there proves to be room.

greenstuff_gav

well thanks to Marco for running today (especially on short notice!), Cortez, Holiad, Myriad and the first-timers Jedi and Krenshar (and SO)!
i had fun games and must apologise for my lack of focus during the finale; a long week and lack of sleep hampered me!

as my PC is still dead i'll have to dig my laptop out tomorrow and get some pictures uploaded! :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Cortez

Big thanks to Marco for stepping up and running the event. I really enjoyed it especially the final battle that got a bit chaotic and was probably in hindsight just a bit over the top. I hope everyone else enjoyed the day too.

TallulahBelle

Beeble bloop blaaa

Only just got in brain fried late trains lost models and stress didnt stop this event from rocking ok so next time finished warband all your worm and modelling made me feel a letdown on that score but its inspiration for nexttime. Having a 28mm version of my warband is also a must along with more dice more clear character sheets and gulp maybe even gming a game!!!

MarcoSkoll

Ho-lee crap, trying to fit all six players into just the core finale scenario was hard work.
Trying to maintain enough focus to have fifty models on one table (12 PCs, 37 NPCs and a Rhino*) and keep track of two players declaring and rolling actions simultaneously was a major mental workout.
*I don't think I've previously dealt with more than 28 models on one table - the 7 PCs, 20 NPCs and the Valk I had on the main table of "The Saint" finale (although across all four tables of that game, there were 50 models total).

Well, here's hoping you guys put up with my rough-around-the-edges attempt to hurriedly pick up the pieces of Koval's event, and you'll probably hear more out of me tomorrow. Quite possibly rather late tomorrow.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

no write-up, will try to get one thrown together, but PIIIICS!
i couldn't remember character names but if anyone wants to provide names for the crews that'd help!

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

I too offer pictures.

To give those who weren't there an idea of what was going on, a quick summary is that the players managed to trace and destroy one of the major supply lines of the local void pirates, uncover the members of the local Imperial Guard who were secretly reporting to these thieves* and then foil the void pirates' attempts to excavate and steal a working webway gate - something that managed to avert the arrival of Biel-Tan reinforcements to the struggle for Port Ulysses and Koroneia.

* The Imperial Guard traitors was something of a change to Koval's original plot, but it nicely linked two of the scenario concepts he'd sent me the notes for and it fitted with the NPCs I knew would be available, so I decided to make some changes.

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

Well those pics of the finale certainly help explain the "fifty models" situation!
Love the scale shot of the 3 rhinos, would've been good if you'd also sat them on top of each other as well the show the real size difference.

Excellent use of that big game board as well by the way.
All reminds me just how long it's been since I last had a game!
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

greenstuff_gav

if only we had marines & epic scale guys!

i was thinking of running Lachesis in August at WHWorld but depends on how viable a couple of people think it is and i'll find out tomorrow if i'm available then!

Build Your Imagination

Cortez

I'd be interested in coming. I'm rarely busy in August.

One question though, are we still planning on running the IGT this year? If so did we ever decide on a date?

I can't find my epic Rhino's for the photo though. I found some marines and Eldar though. It's starting to look very tempting to try and make an epic scaled Inquisitor warband especially as I've been sculpting some epic scaled stuff lately.

Holiad

Yeah, the final game got a bit chaotic, despite a rapid decline in the number of guardsmen, which have probably now been declared an endangered species due to our combined efforts. My favourite incident would have to be the lone survivor from the brave group of defenders which got torn through by a mutant wielding a power claw with extreme prejudice, who regained consciousness just in time to be picked up and fed on by a vampiric navigator taking advantage of the subsequent gap!

My own loose warband, the one mislabelled as 'heretics', would be-
Uncharacteristically in the lead is J-Ken, a corrupt munitorum official of great resource and sagacity, but little courage.
Behind him and to the left, the ex-puritan acolyte Crafanc, previously known as Racol, still loyal to his principles despite certain unfortunate circumstances that have left him estranged from his former colleagues.
Back centre would be Kaeirnfel, an unusually short, fierce, and well-armed mercenary, who would be really scary if he could actually hit anyone with that stormbolter.
Finally, Spare Parts, not quite a shining example of adeptus mechanicus craftsmanship, but possessed of a certain practicality. That's right, the servitor is the only member of my warband with a second name.
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on May 05, 2014, 01:14:00 PMWell those pics of the finale certainly help explain the "fifty models" situation!
Excellent use of that big game board as well by the way.
Well, we couldn't not go a bit nuts with a 12'x6' at our disposal.

Gav had Khisanith sniping guardsmen off the front gates, including the Missile launcher team I was hoping might make a dent in the Rhino - which Cortez had brought along (having been trying to repair it at the end of the previous game) and was using as first a mobile bunker/cover and then an unmanned battering ram to try and knock the webway gate down.

Well, it got to the main gates, but that was when the Wraithguard decided to get there - and my rules for distort weapons don't mess around, with the wraithcannon dealing an immediate crippled result to the right track. So then the thing veered into the nearby ammo dump...

So, after we work out where it finally lands, jediknight then turns up and throws a satchel charge at incoming reinforcements and Cortez's techpriest hacks into one of the defence turrets...

And on the other flank, Myriad's Exodite dodged past the void pirates before Holiad's mutant came in and ripped most of them in half... and krenshar tends to end up unfortunately on the receiving end of a lot of the return fire that actually manages to hit!

Eventually, some people were trying to destroy the webway gate, a couple were trying to activate it - but ultimately, between a fair few angry blows, the gate was collapsed and its connection to the webway severed. For now, at least...

Quote from: Cortez on May 05, 2014, 03:56:20 PMOne question though, are we still planning on running the IGT this year? If so did we ever decide on a date?
I would still like to see the IGT run this year, and my offer of running it stands.

The problem, however, is that interest in events is pretty low at the moment, so I'm not sure whether it's the right time to commit to a date.

GW's =I= articles

TallulahBelle

Belle achieved her objectives without getting anyone killed and managed to get rid of the void pirates so that's a win. Pics of a finished belle will appear soon she has been found!!! And there will be a 28mm copy of the band as well I hope.

krenshar

Belated thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome at my first Conclave event; particularly for the lending of dice, commiserating over my lousy action rolls and tolerating my sleep-starved befuddlement.  Especial thanks to Marco for running and having blank character sheets on hand after my own printer died a death.  My hand-scrawled versions would not have lasted the day.

I'm looking forward to the next event, be it an IGT or another campaign day.  When I shall be sure to a) remember my own gear, b) sleep the night before and c) recall that changing stance is a free action.  That way maybe I'll achieve more than advancing a foot and wounding a single void-pirate, as I think was the case in the finale!

MarcoSkoll

Yes, well, any wise event organiser (even if they themselves are sleep-deprived) packs spare character sheets, dice, tape measures and writing implements, because someone will have forgotten at least one of the above.

That said, I really need to do update my eventing check-list, as I keep going back to a ratty old one that I always doubt is actually complete (which is often why I don't sleep well, worrying about having forgotten something).

Quoterecall that changing stance is a free action.
I often tend to forget that and treat it as a separate action as well. To be honest, there's lots of things I forget about prone - things like prone characters halving the number of hits they take from blast weapons. Although I'm not actually sure how often that one comes up.

GW's =I= articles