Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy - underhive WIPs

Started by seaglen, January 14, 2014, 08:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

Well!

I am finally back in the UK and after what seems like years away (judging from my last post here, that doesn´t seem too inaccurate) I am ready to start modeling and building up my Inquisitor warbands!

To start things off and to get me back into the swing of things, I thought I would begin with some mutants, scum and underhive cannon fodder for the tabletop - best not to ruin my main characters whilst I am still regaining my skills!

And so, without further adieu, my first hive scum, goes by the name of Mikael.
He has an inhibiting disease that has atrophied his entire right side, and is pretty much your average thug with gun:

Following the parts, I did a quick mock up:

seaglen

Filled some gaps with greenstuf:

Started to apply some colour - skin looks pretty yellow at this stage, but will dull it down with highlights and washes.

Following a few washes of grey and black/brown, and bringing the skin up a notch with highlights:

Added some detailing to the metal areas, and began highlighting the weapon and bandages more:

Any thoughts on the colour for his tunic and loincloth?
Comments and feedback more than welcome!

DapperAnarchist

Where is that amazing atrophied arm from?

I would say give the bandages another quick wash, the really filthy look from before was nice.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

seaglen

The arm is from the old chaos henchman conversion pack GW released.

Yes, I am going to dull down the bandages once more I think.
Updates to come soon!

Dwi

Fantastic! The metal leg splint could use some rust and crust though...
May The Emperor protect us from the dakness of the void. That or we can run around in little cricles and wave our arms and shout

seaglen

Thanks Dwi,
Rust and crust will be added in the later stages of painting.
Thanks for the advice!

I'll post some more updated pics today hopefully.

seaglen

Managed to get some more colour on his tunic and work on his skin tone a little:

Also made a bit of progress with his face:

Comments welcome!

Dwi

Lookin good. I would try for a white or tan color to his armour. Offset the darker colors and all that.
May The Emperor protect us from the dakness of the void. That or we can run around in little cricles and wave our arms and shout

Van Helser

Looking, very, very nice.  Would never have thought to have a supporting arm for that pistol, which makes sense considering how weedy the left arm is!

Ruaridh

seaglen

Many thanks Dwi, I was initially going to go for a pale colour on the armour but it just looked too clean.

Thanks Van Hesler, any other feedback I would greatly appreciate!

Update: managed to put a few more highlights and added some detail to the face.
I've also attempted a tartan pattern on his patch but thinking about repainting...
Any tips or suggestions for what to do on his patch?

seaglen

Seeing as I am getting to the final stages of painting the first thug, I decided to build up the next as paint dried...

No name as of yet, but he is a typical scavenger, limping around on a pneumatic peg leg, looking for loot:

Sporting two stolen pistols and using the hammer head from Josef as his leg.
I also made a staff out of quovandius' back banner.
The arms are from the bounty hunter and his head has the beginnings of a bandanna covering his face.

krenshar

That scavenger looks to me like a scavvy-boss in the making; just needs a few trinkets and minions.  The peg leg is inspired!

I've never seen such a skin tone worked up from yellow to such great effect before.  Did you use watered-down paint for your washes or the new citadel paint range?

Re the patch; how about painting it as a trophy?  Maybe a scrap of fine material or even a bit of tattooed skin flayed from a captive.  Gruesome perhaps but then he is sporting a jawbone on his belt already.  Or go the other way and stick the ][ symbol on it should you want to use Mikael as a radical's henchman.

seaglen

Thanks krenshar,
Yes the skin took a while to get right but is essentially bronzed flesh washed with flesh wash (I had an old pot) and then drybrushed with a mix of dwarf flesh and bleached bone.

Following that were several watered down washes of brown and grey to dull the tone.
A few thin washes of red on sores and cuts and the deeper areas of the face too.

As for the patch yes I did think fine material would be nicer.

Any preference on the scavenger with or without the back banner?
And if with, what to paint on it???

Ancelyn

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Inquisitor Dionzi

SKYFALL MINIATURES