Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Humanity and Soul Stones

Started by Dwi, January 18, 2014, 07:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwi

I have all ways been curious about Soulwatcher Helm and other man made artifacts that use soul stones.  However just how common is humanity's access to soul stone and just how would they create such artifact with them?

How effective would such algamations of human and eldar tech be?

How rare would such a device be? I hardly think that only one Inquisitor would come up with the idea.

Would it be just an Ordo Xenos idea/thing?

What type of inquisitor would possess such devices?

And most importantly how could I work such an human/eldar artifact in with an Inquisitor I'm working on?

EDIT: Also beyond possible insanity what other side effects would happen? And do you view human-spirt eldar communacation to work?
May The Emperor protect us from the dakness of the void. That or we can run around in little cricles and wave our arms and shout

Macabre

++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Koval

Quote from: Dwi on January 18, 2014, 07:55:37 PM
I have all ways been curious about Soulwatcher Helm and other man made artifacts that use soul stones.
I've given this a try myself, but basing my idea around the soul net (which is not supposed to be specific to one Inquisitor).
QuoteHowever just how common is humanity's access to soul stone and just how would they create such artifact with them?
That depends solely on whether a character can find and kill a soulstone-bearing* Eldar.

*Remember that Dark Eldar do not carry soulstones.

QuoteHow effective would such algamations of human and eldar tech be?
Probably not very, keeping in mind that the Soulwatcher Helm needed a Magos Psykana to make work, and given that it's completely addled Balorodin's mind owing to all the side effects.

QuoteHow rare would such a device be? I hardly think that only one Inquisitor would come up with the idea.
These would arguably be things you'd need to make yourself through your own means.

QuoteWould it be just an Ordo Xenos idea/thing?
No, but they're the most likely culprits. Balorodin, for example, was actually Ordo Malleus when he had his helmet made (and there's little evidence to suggest he's not still with them).

QuoteWhat type of inquisitor would possess such devices?
Undoubtedly a Radical one.

QuoteAnd most importantly how could I work such an human/eldar artifact in with an Inquisitor I'm working on?
Probably by devoting a lot of time to discussing how your Inquisitor even got it in their mind to make said device, and how much work they put into getting everything they needed (including hereteks where relevant!), making it work, testing it... Even then, keep in mind that there's a good chance it won't work as intended**.

**I have a character that spent several decades formulating a way to cheat death, which ended up with her trying to replicate the mechanics of soulstones; and she had the benefit of being a telepath. She got halfway there, insofar as she ended up capturing souls, but all attempts to do anything with them thereafter resulted in total failure. On a more positive note, she ended up getting through a LOT of heretic "test subjects" before scrapping her project...

QuoteEDIT: Also beyond possible insanity what other side effects would happen?
Other possible side effects include, but are not limited to, being persecuted by Puritans and more conservative elements of the Adeptus Mechanicus.
QuoteAnd do you view human-spirt eldar communacation to work?
Possibly, but not very well, and it'll most likely end up as what the Soulwatcher Helm did to Balorodin.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Dwi on January 18, 2014, 07:55:37 PMHowever just how common is humanity's access to soul stone and just how would they create such artifact with them?
It's worth bearing in mind that even amongst the Inquisition, an understanding of spirit stones is going to be limited, other than to those who have specifically studied them.

Certainly the Inquisition know of them and what they do - they've doubtless had psyniscient individuals around them many times in the last ten thousand years - but that's not to say every Inquisitor knows.

The three limitations will be:
- Accessing a spirit stone in the first place. The Eldar are rather reclusive.
- Not having your peers take it away. Not just because it's heresy, but perhaps they want it for themselves.
- Not having the Eldar trying to get it back. Bearing in mind how seriously the Eldar take spirit stones, it's pretty likely that any Mon-Keigh with the audacity to steal a Spirit Stone will have someone on their tail - maybe an Outcast, but there are other possibilities, depending on the degree of their indiscretion.

QuoteHow effective would such algamations of human and eldar tech be?
It varies, but certainly not very.

Knowledge of Xenotech is considered forbidden by both the Imperium and the Adeptus Mechanicus, so actually producing such an amalgamation in the first place is

QuoteHow rare would such a device be? I hardly think that only one Inquisitor would come up with the idea.
Would it be just an Ordo Xenos idea/thing?
What type of inquisitor would possess such devices?
- The idea is probably not unique, although the devices probably are - cobbled together from different scraps of knowledge, no two will be alike.

- No. They're certainly a candidate, but even without the precedent of Balorodin, I'd consider the Malleus pretty darn likely. This is really as much warp-tech than xenotech.

- Radicals.

Radical Thorians looking to study the nature of the warp in a slightly less soul-damning way than consorting with daemons are of course a possibility.

The other alternative is a sort of xeno-xanthite, something the Ammobunker decided to call the Erythite/Erythitan faction within the Ammobunker's Dalthus sector; Xanth- being the Greek for yellow and Erythr- (with an extra R) being the Greek for red.
(Xenothite was deemed a bit too much of a pun).

QuoteAnd most importantly how could I work such an human/eldar artifact in with an Inquisitor I'm working on?
Mostly what Koval said.

How they got the idea, how they got what they needed, how they developed it, the testing and the eventual result.

Plus, as I said before, who's trying to get it off them.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles