Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

My impirial NPCs log

Started by seaglen, April 03, 2014, 09:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

Thank you!

On the note of necromancy, I've also had this nocturna miniature hanging around for years, with the intention of making it into a scribe or member of the adeptus administratum:

I decided to use the hooded head, and aimed to '40k' him up a bit by replacing the feathers with the gubbinz from eisenhorn, a few purity seals, a new Aquila staff too, and a bionic eye/cranium tube!

I'm going for a traditional administratum grey robes, denoting him as pretty low-level. Base coats and first shading done:

I'd love to add some chequerboard pattern somewhere, to tie him into the old Blanche artworks, and an administratum logo too, but struggling on where to easily apply the freehand....?

MarcoSkoll

I think most of the others have already said most of what I might have done, but as we don't have a "like" system here, I thought I should drop in to give you a thumbs-up; There's some excellent parts combinations and conversion going on.

Quote from: Mentirius on January 16, 2021, 03:25:04 PMI was kinda hoping lockdown would have this effect on more people last year, raising the volume of creative projects being completed, rather than the drastic reduction in Conclave activity we saw instead.  In fairness, it does make sense that the lack of opportunity to actually play Inquisitor with other members, on top of all the IRL stress we're collectively dealing with, reduced people's motivation to engage in the hobby side of things.
Yeah, actually having events as deadlines is a key part in finishing projects. I've still got a half-finished Arvus sitting on my desk that I was planning to get ready for Salute... which I'm now pretty much expecting to be cancelled or delayed again to the point I haven't really bothered trying to find out if I've got the people to get involved.

(Projects also aren't helped by my still having wrist problems, even after switching to a vertical mouse and using wrist supports. I really need to organise a doctor's appointment, but I was hoping to not be in the middle of another peak of the pandemic when I had to do so).

I do still mean to get that photogrammetry guide finished and try to run virtual games though. I guess I actually need to set myself deadlines for that to get things moving again.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

That's a good head - I'd love to see the eye painted (unless it's bionic?) but otherwise looking good.
Yeah, I'm a little unsure if the grey blends into the base or not - possibly if you darkened the base a little with a wash/drybrush highlight, and then carefully highlight the grey a tiny bit it might do the trick?

Definitely liking the administratum chap. He's very fitting for the setting.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

seaglen

@MarcoSkoll - Many thanks for the encouragement. And I'll be following the Arvus with interest if it strarts taking shape once more. I've not thought of getting any vehicles sorted for my battlefields, with the exception of lusting over those 1/32 scale vipers etc from battlestar galactica (horrendously expensive though!)

@mcjomar - the head is now all done, along with bionic and biological eyes. I've also finished most of the final layers too. I tried to differentiate the greys of the robes to that on the base by adding in some blue hue. Still want to add an administratum logo somewhere - suggestions on location?

mcjomar

Would the administratum tattoo their drones?

And will you be applying these techniques backwards to the assassin?
Looking good so far!
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

seaglen

Good plan - a little blue/ all wash may just help the snipers body suit to pop a little

Mentirius

Very striking highlighting on the robes there, really brings the model to life.  I think grey was definitely the right choice.  This guy sums up a side of the Imperial aesthetic I've always loved; that medieval monk look with everyone robed and cowled, punctuated by little growths of tech...his outfit being the 40K equivalent of a white-collar worker's suit speaks volumes about the Administratum, and Imperial culture in general.  To me the pose says he's seen something alarming or out of the ordinary (maybe someone who doesn't belong in his workplace, waving a gun around?) and is holding/raising his Aquila staff like that for reassurance, hoping the Emperor won't require him to get shot in the face today.

seaglen

Yes i'm happy with the administratum now - aside from wanting to put the logo on his robes still.

Other updates from lockdown today are my next Imperial archivist. Basically a librarian/writer model I made for my book-loving girlfriend:

Based on an old model from a now forgotten manufacturer - Zenit miniatures rings a bell...

After adding a few purity seals and a holstered gun, she went from fantasy mage, to archivist.

I also made her a scribe-skull out of one of the 54mm servo skulls, a tiny peice from another inquisitor model (scalpel arm, but exchanged for a pen) and a roll of parchment - she'lll be able to dictate and take down notes as she goes with ease!

I have also dug out another old concept I had tucked away - A spoilt princeling. Son of an aged rogue trader, or planetary governor, he'd be a spoilt arrogant and ultimately pathetic (and kid-nappable) whelp.

Think Gildory Lockhart, mixed with Flashhart from blackadder, and a splash of Malfoy...

Main body is the Jan Van Yastobaal model, with the optional head from the bounty hunter. Adding the left over cloak from the above Zenit miniature, and a Kal Jericho sword also gives him even more pompous flare than before!!

Cannot wait to paint him in all his lavish gilded glory.

cymrilian

that servo skull is brilliant!

(btw, the other models look great too)

mcjomar

That's a good selection of minis.
I especially like the noble.
The archivist would worry me a little, as her facial details are somewhat faint. Otherwise good though.

As for the robes, if you want the sigil there, you could try having it stencilled either around the hem(s) of his robe (along with some other pseudo-latin), or (if you think you can pull it off) over his left breast (although arguably that's where an aquila should be, so...).

Mentirius

Personally I would balk at trying to freehand a symmetrical symbol on robes that are so "folded" and so beautifully highlighted already, but I've no doubt you could pull it off.  As for the new models, I can only echo cymrillian and mcjomar - fresh and full of character, with the scrivener-skull a particular highlight.  Great stuff.

seaglen

Yes, I am really rather nervous about popping on some white freehand of the administratum symbol - I might give it a few days to gether myself for the task!

In other areas of the Administratum, the scrivener-skull and archivist are now complete!

You were right about the face sculpt being a little hard to work with - this is the best I could do:

Pi-Thrower

Quote from: seaglen on January 20, 2021, 04:38:33 PM
In other areas of the Administratum, the scrivener-skull and archivist are now complete!

Having a WHFantasy Vampire Counts background, I always was envious of flying skulls in 40k.

You have made the perfect servo. It is from now on, my favorite servo skull.

mcjomar

That's a good skull! I'm jealous of the work on parchment - I use micron pens to do little more than scrawls - that's something else!

The archivist is pretty good - if you're careful, you might be able to get the eyes using very careful eye technique (black oval, small white line, careful dab of black dots, lots of cursing every time it goes wrong). But otherwise, it's great. I always enjoy how friendly hair and fur is to the drybrush technique.

I'm not sure what would work to make the boots stand out from the base - has anyone ever considered applying some sort of drop-shadow to basing techniques before?

seaglen

Thanks!
The Skull now has a base ready for painting to tie it in with the archivist. I've been wanting to use these books for ages, and finally have the right reason to do so!

Yeah the scrollwork is hard to get right. I may add some darker ink strokes to it.
As for the hair, yeah its lovely to do. May partner has balliage (new word learnt for me) similar to this so it's a bit of a homage.

I could try a black ink on the boots perhaps, to darken them down a little...