Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

My impirial NPCs log

Started by seaglen, April 03, 2014, 09:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

Yeah they're not too common any more - the blister came with a hatted head too:
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:Inquisitor_54mm_Valhallan.jpg

Slight update on the priest - I've gone for white hair on him, and just made a pretty shoddy first attempt at hazard stripes :-[
May have to have another crack at them tomorrow to get them far better!

Sheesh! Must try it again tomorrow with some natural light...

Mentirius

Yeah I agree the stripes need work, though I've no doubt they'll get it, and the hazard colours do go really well with the rest of the model.  The white hair was a good call.

I would have bought about half a dozen sets of those Valhallan legs given a chance...  You're a brave man to actually take the plunge and use the original part!  Some of my favourite 54mm sculpts GW ever did were ones with such tragically limited runs that I never heard of their existence while they were "available", and they continue to hold a rather mythical status even now.  Scarn and Sabellus come to mind in this category - cool as is and dripping with conversion potential, but so insanely rare that if I ever had owned one, I'd have had serious reservations about touching it with anything but my eyes.  Meanwhile there must be two Preacher Josefs in existence for every other 54mm model on the planet, if a brief glance at eBay is any indication!  Not that there's anything wrong with old PJ, but it's a shame more of his similarly scaled comrades didn't survive in such abundance.  In an ideal world, someone would get hold of all the ultra-rare 54mm stuff, start churning out recasts for sale and just pay royalties to GW for the privilege...  Sadly, something tells me that would never be allowed, and probably not especially profitable if it were, given OOP Inquisitor models are hardly a thriving market.

Excited to see further progress with both of these anyway.

seaglen

God I know how you feel about using rarer parts!
I got into a bit of silicone/resin casting a few treats ago and got a few replica bits out of my efforts, but yep - quite nerve wracking using the originals!
I do know of one such "churner" if you're interested in rarer models
Not sure I can say here but PM me and we can have a chat :)

As for the stripes - yeah they're going a lot better. Just got them lined up now, and on to the yellow next:

E - And now finished the hazard stripes off, with weathering. Much better than attempt #1!

cymrilian

nice work. the priest looks great.

mcjomar

Loving the hazard stripes and weathering. Solid work.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

maglash1017

Looks really cool! Only criticism i could think of is that the face is looking a bit "clean" compared to the rest of the model, which is weathered really nicely and has more of a "Blanche-ian" feel. I think picking out some highlights would help here.

seaglen

Many thanks, yeah I may go and give a bit more depth to the face now you mentioned it. Otherwise, I'm happy with how he turned out :)

Next up is the psyker, based off of the 28mm miniature and artwork.

EDIT - I've also got the tech-prospector model from kierkegaard up and running at last!

cymrilian

that prospector is fantastic! the parts are hard to recognise which always suggests a great conversion.

your psyker looks great as well. I'm making a similar one, using valhallan legs but kal jericho torso instead, and the staff off a necromunda wyrd
http://www.coolminiornot.com/246185

Mentirius

Great Blanche-esque paintjob on the priest - that is now a wonderfully grimy hazard-striped chainsword.

The kierkegaard prospector is obviously a beast, and the psyker with the incredibly nice legs still looks very promising...on the latter, I'm tempted to suggest his head should be turned a bit further towards the direction of his outstretched hand as in your 28mm inspiration's pose, but I appreciate that may not be easy what with the high collar!

seaglen

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes I'd like to turn his head a little more - perhaps when the Miliput is dry I may try to move it a little.
On another note, I've added the arbites name to his pauldron - Kyle Janus

Hoping to start on some colour on the prospector tomorrow.

MoeGee

I love the Sanctioned Psyker. Have you seen this piece of art work? I would love to see a similar helmet on your psyker.

Do you have any idea for what his load out will be?

We live through strange days
society's have become polarized. Not just in politics but across all culture. There's anger at the inequality and ever growing corruption and a wide spread distrust of elites. Yet at the same time, there's a paralysis. a sense that no one knows how to escape from this.

kierkegaard

Hey Seaglen,

Glad to see the old prospector getting some attention (why did you leave the shoulder pads and shovel off though?)

original, front
original, back

If anyone is wondering, it is made from civilian leg and torso bits, Damien Bloodhound's arms (with a Genestealer bits pack laspistol,) Talon's head (with a RT era Ork helmet with bits stuck to it) and a few 40K plastic bits.

I love the sanctioned psyker - I think with you and Cymrillian, that makes at least 4 Conclavers who used the Valhallan legs to build a psyker (I was inspired by Judge Minos.)
Psyker

And the priest looks great - awesome job on the hazard stripes!

maglash1017

I have to say I kind of like the no shoulder pads-look, but that's probably because I'm a fan of the less heroic style. I guess I like my characters a little more wimpy looking  ;D 

seaglen

Hmmm damn!
I remember those pads now, but can't find them after a rummage :(
Shame I've also misplaced the shovel too, as it would have been perfect!

It's an amazingly well done conversion and sculpting work, fab parts combo too.
Hopefully I'll do the paint job up to an ok standard. Am going to go for a utilitarian palette, maybe something along the lines of some of the recent necromunda miniatures:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Necromunda-Palanite-Enforcer-Patrol-2019

seaglen

Today has been all about getting started on the painting of the sanctioned psyker.
I'm aiming to stay true to the cadian colours - here's the work so far (lots more highlights to be done still)

I've sculpted on a sash like the 28mm model, and also added a neat feature - a cable connecting his cranium to an on/off switch on his back - safety first!!

And I've also started on the prospector!