Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Kaled, Karandras & Exarratus at WHW (June 2008)

Started by Kaled, August 02, 2009, 01:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

I originally posted this on the 'Clave about a year ago, but as I had a copy I figured I'd repost it here rather than let it be lost.

Be seeing you,
Dave

- Game 1 -
Kaled vs Karandras

Inquisitor Kaled had arranged to meet an anonymous contact who could supply information as to the location of an ancient and powerful artifact. The contact knew he would be meeting an Inquisitor, but not who. Inquisitor Lord Hunter-Rex had found out about the meeting and planned to get to the contact first. The winner would be the person who successfully convinced the contact to go with them.

Kaled, his savant Heinrich and female bodyguard Talessa approached the contact not expecting a battle, so were armed only with concealed weapons. Little did they know that Rex and his team (Preacher Hess & Interrogator Sophus) were moving into position across the square and had come armed for a fight. As Kaled and his savant moved to meet the contact, his bodyguard moved into a position where she could cover them if there was any trouble. As they approached the meeting place, Rex ran forwards and attempted to convince the contact that he was the person the contact was there to meet, but did not know the proper pass code and the contact was unconvinced.

Not recognising the interloper Kaled moved up to the contact, quickly convinced him that it was he who had arranged the meeting, and the pair cautiously moved away covered by the other members of the warband.

Unwilling to let the contact get away, Rex and his team engaged Kaled's warband. After a brief exchange of shotgun fire, Talessa took out the preacher with an executioner shell. Rex charged Kaled, who realising he was outmatched by the swordsman attempted to gun him down. Eventually Rex got the upper hand, and Kaled was knocked to the ground. Meanwhile Sophus engaged Talessa who narrowly avoided being sliced open by his chainsword.

Unnoticed in the confusion, the savant Heinrich Ottokar met the contact, and together they escaped. Rex attempted to subdue Kaled and capture him for interrogation, but Kaled fought back and Rex and his team were forced to withdraw.

- Game 2 -
Kaled vs Exarratus

Using the information from his contact, Kaled knew that the location of the artifact he sought could be found in some forgotten archives. Unfortunately, Magos Excus had followed him there in the hope that Kaled would lead him straight to the information. Six possible locations for the information were marked on the board, I knew from my contact which was the correct one - Excus would either have to search them one by one or wait for me to find the information and then steal it.

Kaled moved straight towards the location of the information (the top of a tall building on the other side of the map), the Chief followed him while Stormtrooper Caine moved into the centre of the board. Excus and X22, his servitor, moved forwards encountering Caine who demanded they withdraw as the area was under Inquisitorial jurisdiction, and the pair appeared to leave. Hoping to decoy the intruders, the Chief moved towards one of the other possible locations of the data.

Suddenly the servitor turned and lumbered towards Caine with weapons at the ready - Caine took careful aim and brought it crashing to the ground with a couple of shots from his hellgun. While Kaled continued towards the objective closely followed by Excus, the Chief moved towards the sound of gunfire. The servitor clambered to it's feet and charged Caine but neither side could gain the upper hand.

Seeing his friend being attacked, the Chief charged into combat and after a couple of rounds the pair managed to defeat the servitor - the Chief finally putting it out of action with a vicious blow to the head from his hydraulic claw.

By this time Kaled had reached his objective, but Excus was preparing to ambush Kaled as he descended from the top of the building. Kaled, having lost visual contact with both his team and the enemy, used his psi-tracker to discern their positions and was alerted to the ambush. As his team approached Kaled shouted a warning to them and they moved to surround the building. Just as Excus was about to spring his trap, he was attacked from behind by the Chief. Taking advantage of his enemy's distraction Kaled gunned him down with a shot from his bolt pistol. With no one left to oppose them, Kaled and his team escaped with the information they came for.

- Game 3 -
Karandras vs Exarratus

Another (better) picture of the grunt squad.

Having both been thwarted by Kaled, Inquisitor Lord Hunter-Rex and Magos Excus knew that the only way to find the artifact would be to infiltrate a heavily guarded fortress and access the information held in its data core. The complex was guarded by a dozen grunts (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11) who would patrol randomly until the alarm was sounded. The terminal was located at the top of the central tower - whoever reached the terminal first would win.

Both warbands attempted to move stealthily into position to take out the outlying guards, unfortunately Interrogator Sophus was careless and alerted the guards almost immediately. Under a hail of fire from the central tower, Rex, Sophus, bounty hunter (whose name I've forgotten) and accompanying cyber-mastiff moved to attack. The bounty hunter used a webber to incapacitate a number of guards, who were then pounced on by the cyber-mastiff.

Sophus cut his way through the guards with his chainsword until the whole team reached the central tower. Meanwhile, Excus headed towards the tower relatively unmolested, cut down the guard at the door with his eviscerator and headed inside. The servitor, having lost sight of his master moved around the front of the building and was greeted by a hail of fire from a guard with a heavy stubber, almost all of which hit and crippled his left arm.

As Rex and his team moved up the outside of the building efficiently dispatching the guards as they went, Excus moved though the inside. Excus saw Rex coming up the stairs towards his position and quickly ducked back into a doorway, and prepared to ambush him. Unfortunately Rex spotted the movement and rolled a grenade through the doorway - the blast knocked Excus from his feet but did no serious damage. Excus decided to look for another route to the top and found a doorway that came out just below the top level. The doorway was guarded, but Excus eviscerated the guard with a minimum of fuss. Meanwhile the servitor climbed the stairs up the outside of the building but again came under fire from the guard with a heavy stubber and was gunned down.

As both Rex and Excus closed in on the objective (1 2 3 4 5), the guard standing by it moved to cover the stairs (the only way to to the top of the building, or so he thought) with his lasgun. Excus realising his way to the top was blocked started to climb the outside of the building, his bionic arms and hands punching handholds in the stonework. As Rex moved up the final flight of stairs Excus climbed over the parapet, slaughtered the surprised guard and snatched the prize from right under Rex's nose.

- Game 4 -
Kaled vs Karandras vs Exarratus

More pictures 1 2 3

I seem to have failed to take a photo of the warband Karandras used in the final game. It comprised Rex, Sophus and Tank - ganger with a heavy stubber. Exarratus used the same warband as he had in the last two games.

The final game was basically a big battle. The objective was placed on a platform in the centre of the board and whoever held that position at the end would win. Having won two games I entered on the first turn, Exarratus entered on the second and Karandras on the third.

While Kaled moved to one of the nearby buildings to find a position overlooking the objective (1 2 3), the rest of his team headed straight for it. The ogryn moved towards the stairs, while Caine ran up the stairs of a nearby building, sprinted along the ledge and leaped for the central platform - he only just made it and sprawled in a rather undignified heap next to the objective.

Excus saw Kaled and moved towards the same building, while his servitor lumbered slowly towards the central platform. Rex ran towards the central platform jumped and clambered up a chute. Sophus moved into the centre of the board and Tank moved to take up a firing position on a nearby building. Caine clambered to his feet and moved to investigate the noise coming from the chute, while Kaled made it to the top of the building he was climbing and the ogryn started up the stairs. Excus had some diffuculty climbing the outside of the building, while the servitor was still slowly lumbering towards the central platform.

Rex jumped to his feet and attacked Caine. The ogryn moved to join the fight but wasn't in time to prevent Rex's nimble swordsmanship wounding the stormtrooper several times. Tank opened up on the Ogyrn with his heavy stubber, knocking him off his feet. Kaled, having seen his elite trooper cut down blasted Rex with his bolt pistol. Caine dragged himself to his feet, and wary of getting too close to Rex, fired a couple of shots into his prone figure. By now the ogryn was angry! He charged over to Rex, stomped on his chest and then hurled him off the side of the platform for good measure.

The servitor had finally made it to the stairs and Excus had reached the top of the building where he thought he would find Kaled, but Kaled had moved down a level to support his team. As Caine patched up his wounds, the ogryn fired a hail of ripper gun shots at Tank, one of which scored a devastating hit and Tank was down and out. Sophus, seeing his master thrown to the ground and Tanks being shot, decided discretion was the better part of valor and withdrew carrying his masters near lifeless body.

Seeing his team could handle themselves, Kaled consulted his psi-tracker and realied someone was sneaking up behind him. Readying his force sword he charged back up the stairs to engage Excus. The pair were evenly matched, but after a lengthy sword-fight, Kaled got the upper hand and cut down Excus with his force sword.

By this time the slow moving servitor was up the stairs and charged into combat with Caine, who despite his injuries, managed to dodge it's attacks. Then the ogryn joined in the fight (1 2 3). Whoever prevailed here would claim the objective and win the day. The servitor and ogryn traded blows, but despite each suffering a few injuries, neither could gain the upper hand. Caine's luck finally gave out and he fell to a blow from the servitors implanted power axe. The ogryn and servitor continued to trade blows, parrying and dodging but neither able to inflict that fatal blow. Eventually the ogryn saw his opening and smashed the servitor to the ground with his ripper gun. Just to make sure it wouldn't be getting up ever again he proceeded to beat it to a pulp as it lay at his feet. Kaled and his team claimed the artifact and with the ogryn carrying the unconscious body of Caine, they headed back to their shuttle in victory.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Iron Corsair

Great series of reports, Kaled! I couldn't help it, but when I read how the Ogryn had smashed Rex's chest, my eyes went bug eyed. The figures look great, and the contact from the first mission was very cool looking.

MarcoSkoll

I'm not sure I ever read this before, but I'm glad I've had the opportunity now.

Many thanks for re-posting it.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Sideros Peltarion

Good set of battle reports there Kaled.  My favourite part definately has to be the Ogryn throwing Rex of the platform in the last fight. I love your models too, especially the civilian Kaled

Kaled

From what I recall, Rex was out of the game even before the ogryn attacked him, but we agreed it was in character for the ogryn to go a bit berserk and stomp on the man who'd attacked his comrade.  I don't think we bothered adding up the damage done, but by throwing Rex off the platform, it conveniently left him close to the remaining members of his warband who no doubt helped him back to his ship and patched him up ready to fight another day.

Hadriel Caine

just read these! sounds like you had fun. Very well documented I must say. mix of narrative and wit :D some nice moments here. sounds like Kaled et all had a good outing.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Kaled

Quote from: Adam Cunis on August 12, 2009, 10:53:59 AM
sounds like Kaled et all had a good outing.
They did, although if I were playing again I'd be wary about using Kaled mk1, the Stormtrooper and ogryn together again - as they made for a very powerful team.  The group I used in the first game was probably my favourite as Kaled was outclassed by Rex and the fighting there was really desperate, Talessa held her own against the preacher but Sophus was out of her league up close, and the Administratum adept won the game for me mainly because he was pretty much ignored as not being much of a threat,

Colonel Marbi Chora

It's not often that you see an Inq. Battle report with pictures.. at least, I haven't seen many. It really popped to me because of that.

A nice balence between narrative and action, and it sounds like something I would want to try out myself!