Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

My Agents of the Inquisition

Started by seaglen, August 22, 2014, 10:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

After starting by two other paintin blogs (underhive scum and imperial NPCs), it's time for me to actually begin work on some more prominent characters - mainly agents of the Ordos themselves!

First up is a remake of my old friend's inquisitor - Inquisitor Lucypher Sagrado of the Ordo Malleus.
The original  incarnation of this model was a straight out the packet Covenant, painted with blue armour, and black greatcoat.
Needless to say, this model did not stand the test of time, and as I am recreating old models, I thought I would give him the love he deserves.

The character fell cleanly into the archtype of "self-righteous-knight-paladin"
So I decided the old greatcoat wouldn't do, and went for a more fully armoured close combat "knightly" look to him:

Wanting to keep the general pose from Covenant and keeping his power falchion to tie him to the old incarnation, I went for a new head courtesy of mr. Jericho, and legs from the Magus - these work great on the Covenant body too by the way!

Opting out of the combat shotgun, I filed it away to keep the iconic book from Covenant and gave him a laspistol as his only ranged weapon.

Following this, it was time to get rid of all things "chaos-y" and begin a bit of greenstuff work:

thoughts/comments are welcome!

Heroka Vendile

A Kal Jerico head and Mynarc legs, rare parts to find these days.
Looks like a promising model, as you say he's fairly standard for the archetype, but there's nothing wrong with that. That said while I've seen few, I've haven't seen that many imperial uses of Mynarcs legs over the years, he so should be quite distinctive all the same.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Van Helser

Looks like a badass. I am sure I have a Mynarc lying around. I will have to try the combination with Covenant's torso. Always amazes me that there are new combinations of parts still cropping up these days. I look forward to seeing him painted.

Ruaridh

seaglen

Many thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I actually have quite a large resource of rare bits and bobs all stored up over the years.
I was away from the UK for a few years but it didn't stop me keeping an eye on eBay!

Yes as for the archetype, this comes from the days when me and my firends first started Inquisitor - from day one really - so our conceptualising of characters wasn't quite as varied as it could have been.
That said, we had great games and found each Inquisitor reflected ourselves in some way - this inquisitor is the typical proud and self-confident knight-paladin you would expect.

as for using the Mynarc legs on an imperial agent, it actually works out pretty good, once you get rid of the chaos arrows and spikey bits. The skull on his knee and waist actually fit in with the Ordo Malleus aesthetic quite well.

As for getting some paint on him, progress has been made.
I am keeping close ties to my friend's original colour scheme, to hopefully see this as a reinvention of the old character with a bit more thought on distinctiveness.

Comments welcome!

seaglen

More of an update on the paintjob.

started to fill in details of the gold and trim.

I am going to really uplight the armour to give it a bit more pop and a glint, and also work on dulling the gold down a bit to make it a bit more baroque.

After a bit more time working on the colour of his armour and detailing him a bit more, he is starting to take shape.

next up is the difficult part of doing the sword.
I am looking for an ice/crystal look to it.

any suggestions or painting tips to get a "NMM" crystal/ice effect? - something like this: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/293067.page

many thanks and comments welcome!

Van Helser

Looking good.

As for the sword, a simple way of doing it would be to start with a blue at the hilt and blend in more white until you got to a pure white at the tip of the blade. I have done something similar with a fiery effect for a power sword on this Cawdor leader for a Necromunda gang.

Ruaridh

seaglen

So I had an hour or two last night to have a go at the sword.

Luckily I had a spare one lying about to practice on...

The first attempt, as you can see below, was less than satisfactory:

Following this, I decided to do a bit of research into wet blending and the second attempt is looking better.

It's still not quite the effect I am going for, as I was really after a more "icy" looking blade.
Any suggestions?

Mang

It looks good, but yes, not quite frosty.
Perhaps try going to the paler blues a little quicker?
Take a look at the Space Wolves dreadnaught -
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Bjorn-the-Fellhanded
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Murderfang
Bjorn's weapon is more like that sword, but you could try painting something more irregular like Murderfang. His claws are lumpy, so that may not work.
I suggest finding something else to practice/play with on first, so you don't end up spoiling the results you have.
A scrap of plasticard or sprew is ideal.

Good luck!

seaglen

Yes I think I need to keep it paler and blend it a little less dark to keep it looking bright.

My main concern is if it is to blue, it wont stand out against his armour...

Aside from the sword, the next step is to begin getting the gold trim looking crisp, and then start on the details of his face...

Radu Lykan

second attempt looks a lot better but as suggested it needs lightening up

MarcoSkoll

When it comes to putting NMM techniques to work, the problem is generally that the contrasts aren't sharp enough. If something is shiny, you don't get diffuse reflections, you get sharp specular reflections.
Refraction is tougher than reflection, as it's far harder to mentally visualise the internal dispersing of light... but the point generally remains.

I'd suggest reference material too. Take a look at these:

Lots of really sharp contrasts of light and dark, and less saturated shades too, more Space Wolves Grey than Ice Blue (yes, I'm still using the old colours, they're what I know gorramit).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

seaglen

Many thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

As for the sword being particularly shiny, I;m more after an icy look, similar to those found on large blocks of ice:

The intended aesthetic would be of crystal/ice, but not slick and transparent.
I do agree that I need to dull down the colours to a less saturated tone.
(don't worry - old names fully understood, I still have a few bottles of Amethyst Purple and Bilious Green lying about!)

Mang

Amethyst Purple?
I love that colour. Mine died years ago. :'(

Don't worry about it not standing out. As the armour is dark, so long as you keep the sword light it'll stand out nicely.

Light and dark are just as 'contrasty' as contrasting colours.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/08/hobby-quick-and-easy-ice-bases.html
Here's another idea for style/colour choices.

seaglen

Many thanks for the comments - I will try a bit more on the sword in the next few days.

Other updates as of last night:
I've started work on the base, and tidied up some areas and also got a better black for his sleeves etc.

He's starting to get there now, and I think the next part is brighten up the gold a bit, and to start work on the face and Hair.
I am probably going for a blonde hair - thoughts?

Comments and advice welcome!

Mang

Gorgeous.

Brown hair frames the face nicely, but everyone does brown hair.
Blond will contrast nicely with the blue, and is more uncommon. I'd say blond.