Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

My Agents of the Inquisition

Started by seaglen, August 22, 2014, 10:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

I'm still working on my own highlights - I find that blue is much easier than black or worse, white!
Blue and red are easier than green, all easier than black which is easier than yellow or white.
Highlighting is a perpetual pain to do.

Your work on the blue looks great, so you're absolutely on the right track there.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

seaglen

Ah yes, the dreaded yellow. Still never really attempted a good go at it.

On the note of black and green highlights, more to come on these as I've been rebooting my first ever inquisitor model this afternoon!

Inquisitor Drachtenburg, originally made back in 2001 out of covenant with some odd weapon swaps, face plate and terrible paint job,  now updated and almost ready for painting!
Old:

He then went for a redesign years later in about 2013 - kept his green armour, got a black trench coat and a tidier looking golden shotgun:

And now reborn in 2020! Still has the shotgun and elder sword, and picked up a shuriken pistol on his travels!

mcjomar

Wow, that's an awful lot of conversions of the same model over that period!
I guess it shows how he's grown and changed over his career.
I'm guessing he's been paint-stripped multiple times?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

seaglen

Yeah he's certainly been my most consistent character.
I also like the idea of him maturing and updating as each rendition of him was made.
Hopefully this'll be his final incarnation - need to add the faceplate too! Forgot about that...

Mentirius

Ah, this takes me back...in game injuries resulting in models being overhauled between sessions, usually to replace limbs with bionics or similar, was a staple of my old gaming group, though I'd be inclined to just make additional models after a certain point (E.G. when an acolyte went full cyborg after some really crippling damage).  Nice to see the model's evolution over the years all there in one post.  Imperial Guard arms on Covenant's torso is an old favourite of mine; the cuffs really work with the embossed breastplate and greatcoat.  I agree about adding the mask to the latest one though - Eisenhorn's head is a wonderful sculpt (he all is really) but it appears so often as a result that it's nice see a bit of greenstuff on there once in a while.  One day I'll get around to giving one a gigantic bristly beard as long as his arm...

seaglen

Yes it's been fun basically looking back on all our group's characters and ideas, and models.
Especially over the last few weeks having time to reflect and reboot them with more nuanced characters and updated models to boot!

last to receive the overhaul is the hulking form of my friend's old Inquisitor - Hector Ro'dox:
(The original incarnation was a straight out of the box Tyrus, painted all brass)

Using Tyrus for the most part, but swapping out the absurdly large pauldrons for smaller ones (knee pads from a dreadnought), swapping to Joseph's head and arms, he'll be wielding a huge thunder hammer - any suggestion for the hammer head??

Getting the arms to fit was a dremmel nightmare that took all afternoon - but happy in the end once i get the milliput out to tidy him up.

cymrilian

i would never have thought it, but those arms work really well on tyrus.

mcjomar

That's a good parts combo, although it looks like Josef has a hard time seeing over the rim of that decorative collar!

For the hammer-head, I've received at least one version (now resold on ebay after modelling and painting http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2781.0) where some of the head was there, but the impact point was replaced by plasticard (I had to add some extra gubbins to properly 40k it up).

Alternatively, you might want to look at missile pods from various vehicle/battlesuit weapons to see what can be combined (and then gubbinsed up - it's a word now) to get the look you're going for, whether cylindrical, or boxy.

seaglen

Thanks for the suggestions!

Haha yep that collar is going to give him repetetive strain injury I'm sure. Looks cool though...

For the hammer - I found the perfect bit!  - from the new Deathwatch veterans box, the double-handed thunder hammer. It even has a couple of =][= motifs on. Perfect!

Next questions:
* Do I make the middle section of the handle a larger diameter? I could try to repurpose a bit of the gripped handle from the plastic hammer handle too...?

* What detail do I stick in the inner pauldrons? Those plain surfaces are asking for a detail or two...

seaglen

So I've added a few brass details to the pauldrons that I'm happy with.

I'm thinking a nice burnished brass armour for him.

I've also finished sculpting Drachtenbirg's infamous eye plate on to the latest incarnation of him:

mcjomar

My suggestion for the handle would be carefully wrapping some sort of binding around it (using GS or other putty).
Sort of like bandages, or parchment, or even leather straps.
If you took the parchment route, it could be long and lengthy liturgical sermons or other puritanical writings, or scripture down the haft of the hammer.
And that's a fantastic choice for the head of the hammer.

seaglen

Quote from: mcjomar on January 22, 2021, 08:31:43 AM
My suggestion for the handle would be carefully wrapping some sort of binding around it (using GS or other putty).
Sort of like bandages, or parchment, or even leather straps.

First ever time attempting this - Thanks for the recommendation mcjomar. I think it came out ok:

mcjomar

Yeah, that's looking pretty good - and that's a nicely placed purity seal. I find purity seals on imperial models can also be used to hide a bevy of modelling sins (I've got a 28mm flamer guardsman for KillTeam who is absolutely bedecked in purity seals and parchment to cover up a few parts joins and odd mistakes, and subsequently to suggest that he is extremely faithful).

seaglen

Aha yep the purity seals are a godsend when it comes to joins and the like!!

I've just put the fist layer of paint on him - I'm going for a burnished bronze on the end (nowhere near this bright gold, don't worry!)
He is a brazen and bombastic ordo hereticus member however, so will certainly stand out in the crowd!

I'm thinking cream robe sleeves, with dark red trim, and a silver/blue hammer head?

Mentirius

That all sounds good to me...I like how chunky and angry this guy is; power armour and a two-handed hammer is such a great visual combo.  I agree about that purity seal too - very well placed, and the fact the little streamers are following the direction of his movement is the icing on the cake.

I remember struggling a bit back in the day, trying to get a good bronze finish that wasn't too dark or too golden...  I'm looking forward to seeing how it's done! :P