Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

My Agents of the Inquisition

Started by seaglen, August 22, 2014, 10:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

Many thanks!
Update on the chunky ordo hereticus - I had a look for a good bronze tutorial and basically copied the one from GW for the sisters of silence:
https://youtu.be/96RYPJIbJ_k

I think it actually came out ok, isn't too gold and bright, with nice depth thanks to the purple glaze.

Next question for colour choices are:
- colour for all the cables?
- do I make the gauntlet the same bronze, or do it iron/steel?

Mentirius

That is indeed a very pleasing bronze effect.  I think personally I'd lean towards tying the gauntlet into the armour by making it bronze as well, but having it echo the hammerhead could also fit.  Cables...is a tricky one.  It depends how many colours you want in the palette really, as pretty much every bold colour goes well with large areas of metal. Red is the simple choice to tie the cables in with the sleeves and purity seals, but I could see purple, green or blue working too.  Sorry these are such vague opinions!

mcjomar

I like my cables to be primary colours (or something bold) so you get the "cut the red wire, no cut the blue wire" stuff going on.

RE: the bronze, that's looking great. I wierdly feel like it's a bit bare in some ways though - like maybe if there was writing "carved" into the plate (like scripture or something). But I know how crazy that level of work/detail would be so maybe ignore me on that!!

Wierdly I'm left wondering if it's worth building one or more screens on the inside of that collar - they could show images sent fromc ameras in the heads of each of the alcoved figures in the collar? Sort of a thing where he does not look directly at that which is beneath him and impure sort of thing, and anything which is visible to him above the collar is either to be respected (or worshipped if it is of the Emperor), or it is in need of smiting with his hammer/fist (powerfist?).

I'd be inclined towards making the fist like the power-armour to differentiate it from the hammer he bears.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

seaglen

@mentirius - yep, went with the gauntlet matching the bronze armour and happy with that. You're right, it helps differentiate from the hammer.

@mcjomar - I took you up on the red/blue wire combo for the cables, I think it worked out ok!
That concept you laid out for the screens is wild and amazing! Love the idea behind it for him to detach from those not worthy. Although at this stage, and with my limited modelling capabilities, I'd probably mess it up!!

I've also finished more of his face and skin, and highlights, as well as details on the hammer and other areas.

maglash1017

This model is coming along really well, exited to see the final result.

seaglen

Thanks!

Finished miniature - just completed this evening:

Mentirius

That is still such a pleasing bronze...  I love the purity seals too, even more now they have script on them.  Well done once again mate.

mcjomar

Very solid mini - the work on the metal is brilliant.
I also really like the work on the hammer.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

maglash1017

Awesome model, colours are muted and simple in a way that blends really well with the bronze. I think the red might be a little too muted though? Might just be the photo's.

seaglen

Many thanks all, I'm really happy with the final result.
Yeah the red on the sleeves is a little muted, but think I'll leave it as is for now.
Any thoughts on whether I should do the script work on the sleeves a different colour, or just keep them a uniform colour?

mcjomar

I'm usually tempted to highlight with those arms - but perhaps merely in a different shade of red/orange?

Mentirius

I'd probably end up picking out the words on his red sleeves in gold or silver, echoing E.G. his left knee plate in general style, although that would be a pretty bold move and it is fine in red really. 

seaglen

Yeah I think you may be right Menterius - I'm going to give it a day or so and probably go back and add the script in a different colour after all!

seaglen

I've gone back and added the script on the sleeves, and very glad I did:

All finished!

kierkegaard

Great work - it looks so much better with the lettering on the sleeves picked out.

I particularly like the blue tinge on the metal of the hammer head.