Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

NPC Plog!

Started by Alyster Wick, September 14, 2014, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

So I meant to make more progress this weekend, but between family obligations and a game of Battletech I came up a bit short. On the plus side, all 20 Tehnolog pieces are filed and prepped and there was some headway made with the Imperators. Also, Battletech's mechanics are also surprisingly similar to Inquisitor's in some ways (mostly the intricacy of damage and the sheer number of modifiers). The upside (other than a fun, cheap new game to play) is that I'm getting ideas on how to streamline some Inquisitor games and also finding new players that should be open to Inquisitor and somewhat familiar with the play style.

Anyway, you're all just here for the pictures so here's the one model I am close to finishing (need to do a lot of slow painful work sanding down, lining up, and filling gaps on the halbred but other than that he's in good shape), the Imperator Captain, head of security for the Planetary Governor/Chair of the Council of Worlds:

And on that note I have a whirlwind 8 weeks of work, family, and personal travel ahead of me. I'm unlikely to post many updates until September.

Alyster Wick

Reviving my NPC/Terrain Plog. There'll be a 7 week or so break as I'll be on the road for work. My PCs will get some paint while I'm out but I can't lug the terrain with me, so they'll have to wait for an undercoat after I get back.

Anyway, here are some shots of my modular bridge and buildings. The lamp posts are magnetized! (I really want a character in power armor to rip one out and use it as a weapon)

MAX HEIGHT!!!

WITH MINIS!!!

Vertigo...

Connecting the catwalks:

A different view, and some battle-damage!

Another variation...

Building #2, ready for primer!

That's it, hope to have these all painted up a couple days after I get home.

Aurelius

The buildings are looking good, I like how they stack. The Imperators are also really cool, what colour scheme are you thinking of? Maybe purple to get that 'royal' look?

Van Helser

Looking really good. Magnetising the lamp posts is a really good idea. I made some terrain a couple of years ago, and all the pipes and little details have come off. Magnets would be a good way of securing things, and adds to the modularity of the terrain.

Ruaridh

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Aurelius on September 30, 2015, 04:26:40 AM
The Imperators are also really cool, what colour scheme are you thinking of? Maybe purple to get that 'royal' look?

Definitely gold for the armor. I was considering a blue cloth with some white trim for a nice clean look. That said, there's something a little more sinister about purple that I kind of like. I want the Imperators to have a kind of ambiguous menace about them in the campaign and purple might do the trick.

Quote from: Van Helser on October 04, 2015, 10:05:59 AM
Magnets would be a good way of securing things, and adds to the modularity of the terrain.

Ruaridh

You know they weren't overly expensive, and given how strong they are (I was initially concerned that the super glue would give out before they separated so I added a bit more of a plasticard buffer) I'm thinking of picking up more to use on bigger projects. I won't get into specifics now (plus I really, really need to finish these buildings before I go off half-cocked on another terrain building binge. That and I really need to finish recruiting for an actual campaign so I can use the damn terrain).

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on September 27, 2015, 09:19:50 PMThe lamp posts are magnetized! (I really want a character in power armor to rip one out and use it as a weapon)
Were I anywhere near you, Silva would certainly consider taking up that offer. (As it happens, she's significantly stronger than most power armoured characters. The LRB's one-fifth S bonus may be a little undergenerous, perhaps.)

I forgot to comment on the Imperators before, which is a bit of an oversight, what with the clever use of pressmoulding (with what I believe is an old Crosius in that case). I've never actually worked with the Tehnolog figures myself (mostly because I already have too many things to not finish!) but they constantly show potential as NPCs or even PCs on occasion.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on October 05, 2015, 12:30:55 AM
I forgot to comment on the Imperators before, which is a bit of an oversight, what with the clever use of pressmoulding (with what I believe is an old Crosius in that case). I've never actually worked with the Tehnolog figures myself (mostly because I already have too many things to not finish!) but they constantly show potential as NPCs or even PCs on occasion.

You know I thought it was Lemartes's Crozius, but alas I did a google image search and it isn't (wouldn't you know it, Lemartes's has the blood drop in it) so the exact Crozius is lost to time. But yes, the Tehnolog figures are great to work with. The plastic is soft and easy to work with. On multiple occasions I've been able to cut and sand away the plastic in much the way you'd work with green stuff after the fact and I've been able to create detail without having to go through the trouble of mixing up some GS. I can't recommend them highly enough for whipping up a legion of NPCs. Speaking of which....

My first 2 of 4 miners/laborers (wanted some more "faces in the crowd" for a market scenario I'm planning):

Next are my first two members of the Red Triangle gang:

Now that the new stuff is out of the way, here's my 2nd completed building, bridge, and the base-coated Imperators and wave 2 PDF troops!!!

Lord Borak

Nice looking stuff mate! I'm going to have to invest in some of these models once my current projects are done (that'll be the day). The Red triangle gang sounds like a a really naughty road worker gang. I can just see an inquisitor investigating the sinister thefts of triangle shaped road signs now.

Alyster Wick

So I went way, way down the rabbit hole with two of my NPCs yesterday and as a result I'm totally behind where I wanted to be terrain/NPC-wise overall, but I don't care. On the "good problems to have" front I'm developing far too much affection for my NPCs and find myself wanting to make them all actual characters, which kind of eliminates the purpose of having faceless hordes to spice up a scenario/to run scenarios in a "public area".

Anyway, you're all here for the pictures so here it goes:

Rats, which will feature prominently into scenarios as a "look, there's movement over there!" device. I also am really keen to have "rat fights" going on in the background of this scenario taking place in an underhive black market (I'm taking a crack at a rudimentary money system during the campaign as my two players are a "freedom fighter" and an aspiring cult leader, so not heavily resourced individuals). Also, my ratskins needed rats...

Here are the tables/bar tops for any number of scenarios. They've got primer on them now but the pic isn't too interesting so I'll update when they're all the way finished. Also, one day in the far future I plan to run a Star Wars Bar type scenario taking place on the lawless planet on the outskirts of our gaming sector, complete with weird creatures. Thus, the bartop will get much use into the future :)

Now for a front and back view on my 3 new NPCs. The fellows on the right and left took me far longer than they should have. I just kept wanting to add gubbins! They are a mutant, miner, and ganger respectively (the back of the ganger is quite boring so I removed him from that shot).

Lord Borak

All good stuff mate! Rats is a Genius way to piss people off who love Bio/movement scanners. I'm going to store that idea away for future reference.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on December 23, 2015, 07:55:19 PMOn the "good problems to have" front I'm developing far too much affection for my NPCs and find myself wanting to make them all actual characters, which kind of eliminates the purpose of having faceless hordes to spice up a scenario/to run scenarios in a "public area".
I quite like developing some of my NPCs up into more developed characters (although normally still GM controlled). I think of it as somewhat like Wedge Antilles in the original Star Wars trilogy - not a major protagonist (or villain, for that matter) and not personally driving the plot, but who nonetheless keeps finding themselves involved in legendary stories.

A recurring support character role is how I intend to have Leander and her crew showing up in stories (as a semi-legendary titan, not a number of forgettable ones) , but I've also done similar things with Commissar Leith (assigned as a liaison for the Departmento Munitorum, so she'll often find herself working alongside different individuals) and Sgt Fox (the head of my NPC Guard squad - if the plot calls for him to have an identity, anyway).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

I love the versatility of the Russian models, and you've pushed them even further. All this lovely scenery makes me desparately want to expand my living quarters so I can house some rad terrain  :'(

I'm interested to see how the paint comes along, because if you're anything like me, converting is the easy bit... ;)
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.