Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Gaming aids

Started by Fragmatic, October 01, 2009, 10:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fragmatic

For those of you who have missed the backstory to this topic, here's the link to where it all started: http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=250.0
Since this is a game mechanics related issue, I thought that this would be the most appropriate place for this topic. To cut a long story short, I have been making gaming aids for some time and now I'm sharing them with the community in return for some feedback. Feel free to share your ideas, opinions, constructive criticism or even your own gaming aids.

Some stuff from earlier:
Status counters: http://lszy.web.elte.hu/Gaming/counters.pdf
Range rulers: http://lszy.web.elte.hu/Gaming/range_ruler.pdf

...aaand now for a new announcement:
Revised range rulers: http://lszy.web.elte.hu/Gaming/range_ruler_v2.pdf (Ugly as hell, but useful. These are in the reeeally early stages of development; I'll keep adding other range bands as well. The strips may look a bit chaotic, but they should make more sense once you glue them together the right way. Thanks to MarcoSkoll for the comments.)

So, feel free to use these and if you do, please give me your opinions. I have some other things in store as well.

Simeon Blackstar

I love them - the revised range rulers are what I had in mind when I saw the originals.  They certainly look alright to me.  Now I'm just trying to think of how to make them durable and able to be rolled up without being stretchy.  Maybe something similar to dress-makers' tape measures?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Simeon Blackstar on October 01, 2009, 10:36:59 PMMaybe something similar to dress-makers' tape measures?
That idea had passed my mind as well.

I'm looking at these ideas. Personally, I'd probably colour code the tape measures to make them easier to tell apart when rolled up - possibly something based around resistor colour codes (for there are 10 "colours" and 10 range categories).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

Although the range ruler is clever as hell, it won't be needed in INQ2, which takes a rather more simple approach to range.  The counters, however, are excellent.  I might well be coming back to you for permission to use these.

R.

RobSkib

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on October 01, 2009, 11:07:38 PMbased around resistor colour codes (for there are 10 "colours" and 10 range categories).

Colour isn't the best way to go - some people can only print off in greyscale, and it would play havoc to the colour blind among us!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: RobSkib on October 02, 2009, 10:31:18 AMColour isn't the best way to go - some people can only print off in greyscale, and it would play havoc to the colour blind among us!
Ah, but I can print in colour, and I'm not colour blind. Hence, that's why I might choose to do it that way, to save having to find where the letter is printed on it.

GW's =I= articles

Tullio

Quoteand I'm not colour blind.

A wolf that can see in colour? You, sir, are a credit to your species  ;)

Tullio

Fragmatic

Thanks for all the comments once again.

Quote from: precinctomega on October 02, 2009, 08:25:58 AM
Although the range ruler is clever as hell, it won't be needed in INQ2, which takes a rather more simple approach to range.  The counters, however, are excellent.  I might well be coming back to you for permission to use these.
...and this takes us to one of the many questions I've been meaning to ask. Please forgive my ignorance, but...what exactly is INQ2? What I have gathered so far is that it is a fanmade revision that's under development, if I'm not mistaken. What will it include? Is it only going to be rules related or will it have some new fluff or scenarios as well? Please enlighten me or point me to the right topic; I'd really like to know more about this. I've searched through the forum but I haven't found any definite info on INQ2.

I'd be honored if you'd include them in the project. Consider the permission granted :) I'll probably make some higher res versions. If you have some graphic design concept that the counters should conform to or would like to change/add something, please tell me.

Quote from: Simeon Blackstar on October 01, 2009, 10:36:59 PM
Now I'm just trying to think of how to make them durable and able to be rolled up without being stretchy. 
These are just mock-ups so I haven't tested them, but in theory, they should be somewhat durable. They are meant to be glued together one by one and then "matched up" (eg.: strip A glued to the back of strip B), with 5 complete strips covering all range bands. That's why B's design is different - this way all the 'joints' can be glued to a contiguous part on the other strip, hopefully making the whole thing a bit sturdier. Then again, this is just the theory and this may not work out so well when you roll them up, so we might still need some solution to this. It'd be excellent if you could come up with something.

Quote from: RobSkib on October 02, 2009, 10:31:18 AM
Quote from: MarcoSkoll on October 01, 2009, 11:07:38 PMbased around resistor colour codes (for there are 10 "colours" and 10 range categories).
Colour isn't the best way to go - some people can only print off in greyscale, and it would play havoc to the colour blind among us!
I think you're both right. :) I've been thinking about color coding the strips themselves and it could be useful. I might even make two versions - a color one and a b&w. That probably wouldn't take too much work.

Originally, I was also considering color coding the modifier bands on the strips (eg.: going towards the red side of the spectrum for the smaller ones and towards green/blue for the larger ones). This way it would be easier to visualize the ranges (eg.: "at that range, he'd probably be in the red so I won't take the shot"), which might be helpful for the less numerical-minded part of my group. However, I've decided not to do this for two reasons, apart from the ones mentioned above: one, I'm not sure that it would be worth it, and two, because of the number of different range modifiers. This whole range ruler idea sprung into my mind when I was looking through the weapons charts and rules for Battletech Miniatures Rules. That game system generally only has three or four ranges, so I could do this color coding quite easily, with three-four distinct colors. On the other hand, with the 15 possible ranges in Inquisitor, I'd probably look as if I was waving around a piece of the rainbow. Apart from possibly causing some confusion regarding my sexual orientation, this wouldn't be too practical either, so I decided to drop the idea.

Keep those comments coming! We're probably going to have a game next monday so I'll put whatever we come up with until then to the test.

precinctomega

Quotewhat exactly is INQ2?

I've honestly lost track of how long it's been in development.  But I think it was in 2007 that I started working on a new edition of Inquisitor.  Last year I got a tentative buy-in from GW and from INQ's original author, Gav Thorpe, to move the project forward either as a purely unofficial document (with suitable disclaimers) or, if I can produce it to the standards demanded by the GW Studio, as an official document.

Obviously, I'm aiming for the latter.

Core Rules are done in draft, and are now in proof-reading.  Armoury is in development.  Character section is undergoing a third draft.  Hobby section hasn't started yet.

My main need is for professional-quality illustrations.  Obviously, I can rip off GW illustrations, but I'd like to use INQ2 as a showcase for community talent.  Unfortunately, no one I've yet approached is prepared either to give up their work for nothing or to submit the rights to that work to Games Workshop.

R.

Fragmatic

Wow...that sounds excellent. With Gav Thorpe and GW involved, that's even better than what I imagined.

While I'm really enthusiastic and I'm trying to develop my skills, I don't kid myself into believing that I'm anywhere near being a 'professional-quality illustrator'. Actually, our group has been looking for someone to prepare some illustrations for our semi-official translation/adaptation/extension of Bureau 13 for several months. Right now, the project is still in the works but we still don't have anyone to do the graphics. At least you have more artists to contact than we do... Anyway, good luck, I hope you'll find someone for the job.

Of course, I'll be more than glad to help if I can, whether with the counters or in any in other way. Tell me if I can be of any assistance.

Fragmatic

The new and improved hi-res counters are up:
http://lszy.web.elte.hu/Gaming/counters.pdf
Enjoy.

Ynek

I strongly doubt that I qualify as a "proffessional quality illustrator", but I'll have a go at drawing something Inquisitor-related, and we'll see what you think.

But aren't you selling yourself a bit short here, PO? I've seen some of your drawings, and I actually thought that they were pretty damned good.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

MarcoSkoll

Should we perhaps split off the offers of help for INQ 2 into a different thread (I know PO has a section on Ordo Illuminatus) and stop filling Fragmatic's thread with them?

GW's =I= articles

Molotov

Really nice range rulers... I like the concept a great deal. I guess I'll have to print them out at half-size for INQ28! :)
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

precinctomega

Everything INQ2 related can be found at my developer's blog:

http://inquisitorsdiary.blogspot.com

As and when I need help and contributions, I'll ask for them there.  And, yes, if it comes right down to it, I'll illustrate the whole damn thing myself.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

R.