Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm Weapons

Started by Mike Blake, September 19, 2015, 11:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Blake

Were do you get yours, metal or plastic, from?

Checking out the sites listed under the Resources sticky, some are dead and I imagine there are new ones which are not listed now?

MarcoSkoll

A lot of the time, my 28mm bitz box. While I mentioned it being a nuisance in the other thread, GW's heroic style means that weapons and sometimes other things like hands are often so exaggerated in size as to be suitable for realistic 54mm miniatures.

The squad of "Cadians" I've put together use Lasguns from the Shock Trooper box, just with lengthened stocks (usually the ones left over after cutting away the original Lee-Enfield rifles, but sometimes plasticard instead). With the longer butt, they proportion well and measure up about 30mm long, proportionally about three feet long, a common length for a real world assault rifle.

Similarly, Sister Phoenix's Godwyn-Deaz bolter is a lightly converted Forge World Phobos pattern.

Even on heroic 54mm miniatures, 28mm rifles and heavy weapons can often be converted quite adequately into their smaller variants... or sometimes other options. I've seen bolters with their magazines and muzzle brakes cut off, which makes quite a nice stubber in the hands of a bulky 54mm miniature.

Sgt. Gillmore has a hellpistol that's a cut down lasgun, Inquisitor Skoll's (his new model, not the old one) stubber is a cut-down SMG from Heresy Minatures, and so on and so forth.

You can get particularly creative with combining parts, if you want:

This is Frost's coil-rifle*, made from variously lasgun, bolter and plasma gun pieces - although it is a little less detailed than I originally designed it, which was mostly a question of whether I could make something look distinctly Imperial yet also unfamiliar.

*Hence the appearance of two magazines. It fires solid projectiles (from the rear magazine) using electromagnetic fields (powered by the lasgun cell).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

And if you want weapons with the same rough proportions as those of GW's 28mm models, the Ork weapons are generally a perfect fit for 54mm stuff. I've converted some stuff, but I've also just stuck Ork weapons into 54mm hands with no problems.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

KaptiDavy

Yep, basically anything that stands on a 40mm base: Nobs, Ogres, Ogryns etc
But one of my minis (the hive scum from my fig topic) has the hand of the 28mm empire general - it's a more accurately scaled figure from Andrea

Has any of you an experience with the standard 1:35 WW2 weapon sets (Italeri etc)? I never tried them fearing they're too small...

DapperAnarchist

I used a crew-served machine gun barrel once as a rifle-sized weapon barrel. They look like toothpicks in GW hands...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Yeah, as DapperAnarchist says, it really depends on what model you want to attach a 1:35 weapon to. It would probably be okay on a 1:32 scale figure, but a GW 54mm model is just too bulky.

To suit most models in the original range, I'd reckon that you'd need about 1:18 scale. Possibly some slighter models/larger weapons would get away with 1:24 scale.

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

I've been thinking for some time about the possibilities of sculpting a range of weapons on zbrush and selling prints of them in the Shapeways shop. Would people be interested in that? If so I'd need to see some drawings/pictures of the kind of weapons you'd like to have.

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Cortez on September 22, 2015, 07:26:44 PM
I've been thinking for some time about the possibilities of sculpting a range of weapons on zbrush and selling prints of them in the Shapeways shop. Would people be interested in that? If so I'd need to see some drawings/pictures of the kind of weapons you'd like to have.

Definitely. Honestly anything would be great. Las weapons, stub weapons, even more traditional looking fire arms. Some new CCW's (chain weapons of various make) would be pretty neat as well. Anything to vary it up.

Legio Destructor

Old topic, I know, but I see no point opening a new one with the same topic.

I started some weapons in 3D and will most likely print them later this year.

First one is a Heavy Bolter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rP9sFYYYKURy1oa1pFanQtRTg/view?usp=sharing

I just have a problem to make it the perfect size.

Currently it is 37mm long

Van Helser

Glad to see you made it here from the SG FB page.

It looks great.  37mm is a bit smaller than Artemis's boltgun... I assume you are wanting to embiggen it?

Ruaridh

Legio Destructor

I have Artemis and indeed his bolter is HUGE. Putting that into a standard human hand is insanely large. But so are space marines.

I was basing the size on this. The guy has a heavy bolter. If he is 28mm tall, then his heavy bolter is around 20mm.

Resizing it to 54mm, then the heavy bolter becomes 38mm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-rP9sFYYYKUaDV6YkM2MVlEWFk

Here are the custom weapons I have. The bolter is 25mm.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-rP9sFYYYKUREZhUkN4VTJGaWs

Lord Borak

Glad you made it here also. Although from Ebay ;) Your weapons were great quality and I'm still trying to figure out what model I shall use them on :D

Eagerly awaiting the new additions to the range!

Thantos

Looks great!
If you want free 3d prints for your designs, I can put them on one of our machines if i can get a cast set ;) Will be super for conversions hehe
http://zealotminiatures.com/production/
25um XY 18 um Z DLP Printing

mcjomar

On a semi-related question, what sort of scales do you have to work at in 3d modelling programs to get the models/sculpts to the correct scale for 3d printing?
Does it have to be literally using mm scaling?

And do you have to split, say, a 54mm sculpt into pieces for the 3d printing to work correctly?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Legio Destructor on September 29, 2016, 06:52:38 AMI was basing the size on this. The guy has a heavy bolter. If he is 28mm tall, then his heavy bolter is around 20mm.
Most GW models are closer to 32mm overall, and Harker is supposed to be a hulking brute even by those standards.

If you're working out scaling from a picture, it's generally more accurate to use the model's base as the point of reference (as they're almost always one of a specific few sizes). He's on a 25mm base, so comparing to that, he's about 34mm tall and the heavy bolter closer to 24mm.

From there, exactly how you scale up to 54mm depends. Personally, for my sculpts, which use more realistic proportions than the exaggerated and chunky "heroic" style that GW uses, I find the similarly exaggerated 28mm weapons are actually about the right size - with little more than an extended barrel and stock every now and again.
For a bulkier GW sculpt, then you tend to need to scale up by about 75-100%, dependent on the exact weapon. (Less for pistols, more for heavy weapons).

Personally, I'd say about 45mm would be broadly right for a heavy bolter that needed to match a GW Inquisitor model.

GW's =I= articles