Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Events in 2016 (Latest news: IRE playtest day?)

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 30, 2015, 03:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Back home after a long day of travel. Delighted to have won both the GM award and the overall crown. Who knew getting players to get brains in jars to solve coded messages would be so entertaining?

I will get a write up for my blog before too long. I got a good few pictures that will need to be sorted and presented too.

Thanks all for making it another good event, and cheers to Stephen for organising this year.

Ruaridh

mcjomar

My hand up as player number two, with my introduction of Inquisitor Mordecai into the Carthax sector.

Apparently he's involved with the mixups connecting to Lord Inquisitor Hartmann (I'm afraid my ears aren't always good so if that's wrong my apologies), and has had the misfortune to get involved with a certain Space Marine, the identity of which is apparently unknown to him (!), not to mention getting in the way of the Red King (and having followers who enjoy krak grenades rather too much, clearly - cue benny hill mad sax soundtrack). Finishing up with the altercation regarding the Graveel Hedgemony (or possibly some Gravel Hedges, according to a Commissork!), and Verena being shaken like an errant schola girl.

I'll comment more on the above in the game report section of these boards I guess, though if reviews are requested I guess this thread would be the place for them?

Massive thanks to Cortez for organising all this!

I quite enjoyed seeing a fully articulated sentinel and well lit rhino chassis, plus refreshing my acquaintance with a certain valkyrie we all know.

Hopefully I'll be able to attend future events, although I'm of two minds as to whether or not Mordecai will make an appearance.
Monodominants are refreshingly direct (even when they're trying to go undercover) which makes for an interesting gaming style, but I sometimes felt slightly hampered or restricted as to how I felt one would respond to situations, tempered by age or not, especially with objectives that could potentially conflict with that ethos.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Holiad on April 10, 2016, 01:13:26 PMPersonally, I found the scenario's limit on ranged weapons a nice change from the large amount of anti-psyker effects and characters in inquisitor
It was certainly a twist on the standard formula and such spanners in the works are often what makes an interesting game, but in a scenario with a high likelihood of combat (which your side of the scenario pretty much guaranteed), it needed more ways for characters who couldn't swing a sword to contribute.

As it was, after Maya's terrible run of luck (with a melted brain, and then ending up facing two melee fighters - when one of them would comfortably have been enough to bugger her over), I was left with no real options, despite having two largely uninjured characters remaining.

~~~~~

Anyway, it sounds like my new Power Loader was reasonably well received. It's probably generally more useful for Inquisitor than the autocannon the Sentinel debuted with last year, but was also considerably harder to make. It could have been simplified a little by just fixing it permanently in one pose, but that would have limited its utility somewhat (seeing as it will inevitably be called upon to move a wide range of different objects in future games)

As with my other vehicle projects*, it'll also now be available for anyone who needs to borrow it for games at future events.

*Well, most of them. Things will be a bit different with Leander, as she and her crew are actually my characters rather than generic military materiel, so it might not be appropriate for her to be in just any scenario, but I do plan to eventually build a conversion kit that will let her represent a "generic" Warhound.

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Done a write up of the GT for my blog: http://thecarthaxianinq.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/the-inquisitor-grand-tournament-2016.html

I'll be sorting through all my photos to make up an album soon too. EDIT: now ready: http://imgur.com/a/v0MW4

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Although I've still got work to do on the IRE V0.2 release, I know I've promised that there will be a playtest day for it sometime soon.

This will almost certainly be at Dark Sphere. As far as dates, everything is somewhat hypothetical until I've got a release (or have imminently got a release), but I am free on the following Saturdays in a vaguely sensible time-period.

25th June (at an absolute pinch. I've already got a clash on this day, but if I cancel one of them, I could still just about do both the IRE event and my evening commitment).
9th July
16th July
23rd July

If anyone's interested, feel free to list your availability and we'll work out if this has any viability. If not, it might have to wait until the autumn, but I was already having thoughts about (finally) doing Legacy then.

As far as the format, it'll be primarily about testing IRE, so won't be that heavy on the story; it may also be just a two game day in order to give people more time to play (given they'll be using a new ruleset) and also open up time for discussion on the day.

EDIT: Also, I stress that IRE will be open for feedback in advance of the event, so the system should have any obvious kinks ironed out before we're actually trying to run an event with it!

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

Van Helser

July 9th would probably be the only one I could do, but even then I'm not sure. July's busy for me as my brother is over from New Zealand, I have weddings to go to, my birthday and my wife's birthday take place, and my summer holiday is planned.

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Well, I'm happy to try and accommodate that as best as possible. As it's an experimental event and the venue is pretty accessible for me, I'd be content to run it for only one table's worth of players if that's how the numbers turn out (although, obviously, I'd like to have as many playtesters as possible!)

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

... right, well. I had hoped for a little more interest than that.

I have to hope that, if that's down to IRE, it's more because people are waiting on the IRE draft rather than that they're automatically dismissing it. While I recognise I'm asking people to trust me a bit on what IRE will be like, it is something I have been working on for three years and I'm doing what I can to make the next release a full and robust ruleset*. It will be available for review before the event, I will be taking feedback, I will be making changes.
* I'm working towards making IRE fully usable without the original rulebook. And that hasn't just been copying and pasting - I've been re-writing nearly everything, even if the new text is going to end up saying pretty much the same thing; it lets me check and/or re-evaluate every old rule, allows me to clean up previously odd wording, forces me to word new rules clearly and should hopefully minimise copyright problems.

If it's not down to IRE... well, I can accept that a narrative-light event is of limited interest to people. While I certainly don't intend for it to be just inconsequential rubbish, I can develop it up as a more serious event if that would be more to people's tastes.

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

i'd certainly try a new ruleset, as i tend to learn better by playing but am currently waiting to hear about a few different things so can't commit to a date yet!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

mcjomar

I'd be interested but it would probably have to be in July for me also.
If it's not carthax-story focused I'd be able to use my eastern fringe warband for this.
Might give me incentive to get that Tau painted.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

TheNephew

I'm up for it in principle, but my summer's likely to be a bit busy, so I might be a bit flakey.
Those dates look doable though.

Also, as previously stated, I am bad at rules, so either I'll be a perfect gauge on how easy they are to learn, or absolutely no use whatsoever.
Or a hindrance to the whole affair.

mcjomar

Hmm good point. RE: rules I'm not too great either - at best I'll only be able to say how they "feel", but that's it.
Whoever is GMing will likely be the best judge.

MarcoSkoll

I'll obviously be there to GM and advise. If a ruleset can't be run by the person who wrote it, then it's got serious problems.

Hopefully the rules shouldn't be too hard to learn though. It'll all be available for review before the event, and much of it is broadly the same as it ever was - I'm even doing a colour coded version of the rulebook, where any of the rules that are broadly the same as the the old rules are greyed out to make it easier to pick up on what's changed.

Still, while I can definitely tell people what the rules are, getting to grips with how they work is why I want to play-test them. (Although I suspect that things like the new close combat system, regardless of the simplicity or complexity of the mechanics, will take players some time to master strategies for. That's one area that's going to play very differently).

But on that note, no, there won't be a hard requirement for the players to provide in-depth critique (although it would obviously be very welcome). Primarily it's about me getting to see how the rules work with a wide variety of characters, players and in-game circumstances, rather than just in whichever theoretical circumstances I can think of.

~~~~~

Anyway, it's sounding like July is probably best for most people. It's also easier for me, so that's pretty settled.

GW's =I= articles

Raghnall

I can probably manage July.

Maybe.

I'll certainly try to, because I'm rather interested in this new rule set. I wouldn't worry too much about a plot. With Legacy as well at some point, I wouldn't mind a story-lite event.