Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A grab-bag of rules questions

Started by Subtle Symptom, December 19, 2015, 03:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Symptom

Hello there - so as per my into thread, I'm fairly new to the game and some questions have emerged through playing. I may be missing the blindingly obvious with these but would appreciate some clearing up.

- Damage points from hits. Say I've hit someone with a shot from a lasgun which is D6+2 damage (I think); I score the full 14 points and they're not wearing armour; I roll on the hit location table; hit them in the arm; and then the damage points from the lasgun are compared to their Base Injury Value to work out how many levels of damage I've done to that arm. Now - do those damage points stop there, or are they also added to the character's Injury Total?

- If I choose my actions for the turn as, say, aim, aim, and fire, but the dice only let me perform one action, and I choose to aim ... does that 'aim' accumulate over turns? The literal wording in the living rulebook says it does, but also looks like it might be an error due to the way it's worded. Presumably even if aims normally accumulate over turns, there are circumstances where you'd lose your accrued aims, like if you were shot?

- In close combat, does charging and making one attack on an enemy model count as one action or two? Are the rules meant to allow a situation where you charge at someone, but because of their higher initiative they still get the first swing in before you do?

Lord Borak

Quote from: Subtle Symptom on December 19, 2015, 03:01:26 PM
- Damage points from hits. Say I've hit someone with a shot from a lasgun which is D6+2 damage (I think); I score the full 14 points and they're not wearing armour; I roll on the hit location table; hit them in the arm; and then the damage points from the lasgun are compared to their Base Injury Value to work out how many levels of damage I've done to that arm. Now - do those damage points stop there, or are they also added to the character's Injury Total?

They are added to the Injury total. All damage inflicted goes to someone's Injury total (unless otherwise stated). The only thing you really need to keep track with Hit locations is the levels of Injury.

- If I choose my actions for the turn as, say, aim, aim, and fire, but the dice only let me perform one action, and I choose to aim ... does that 'aim' accumulate over turns? The literal wording in the living rulebook says it does, but also looks like it might be an error due to the way it's worded. Presumably even if aims normally accumulate over turns, there are circumstances where you'd lose your accrued aims, like if you were shot?

It does yes. Just as long as your character doesn't lose sight of his target for more than one turn. If something happens to your character, like being shot at, hit or attacked in close combat or some such then, yes, he loses his aim as well.

Quote from: Subtle Symptom on December 19, 2015, 03:01:26 PM- In close combat, does charging and making one attack on an enemy model count as one action or two? Are the rules meant to allow a situation where you charge at someone, but because of their higher initiative they still get the first swing in before you do?

You can charge and assault as one action (and get a tasty +10% chance to hit too!). The highest Initiative gets to go first but for the round only. If they have already made their actions then they can't attack someone again unless it's part of a counter attack.

To be honest. There is a lot of freedom with the Inquisitor rules. If something feels wrong then change it so long as it's a fair change.

Subtle Symptom

Thanks!

Yeah I tried both ways of working out damage (damage from attacks adding to injury total, or not) and found the characters stayed alive a bit too much when I did that.

MarcoSkoll

- Damage caused by a normal wounding hit results in both injury level and injury total. You will however find a lot of effects that add to just injury total.

QuoteIf I choose my actions for the turn as, say, aim, aim, and fire, but the dice only let me perform one action, and I choose to aim ... does that 'aim' accumulate over turns?
I'm not sure you meant it that way, but once action dice are rolled, actions are performed in the order they were originally declared; characters don't then get to pick which of their earlier declared actions happen.

Anyway, yes, aiming accrues over turns. To quote from the rulebook, the conditions that cause a character to lose their aim are:
QuoteAs soon as the aiming character moves, or fails a Nerve test, is hit by an enemy or shot, or does anything other than aim or fire a single shot at the target, any aiming bonuses are lost. Note that as long as the target does not spend more than one action out of view, aiming is not lost due to enemy movement (although any movement will incur the usual to hit penalties for the distance moved). If the target spends more than one action outside the aiming character's view, the benefits of aiming are lost.
Although, as Lord Borak suggests, there's a lot flexibility in the rules. Some very common exceptions I see here are GMs allowing characters to talk without losing their aim (as talking can normally be combined with other actions without penalty), and discounting any "hits" that get stopped by cover.

- A charge action includes a free attack (Normally with a +10 to hit bonus, although not if you chose to change weapons as part of the charge). You then continue through the remainder of your rolled actions, and your opponent will get his actions when his turn comes around or if he rolls well enough when parrying one of your attacks that he gets a counter-attack* (which allows him a single action that interrupts your turn).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Raghnall

I think Lord Borak and Marco have answered your questions well, but it is worth mentioning that a common mistake among new players is thinking that you have to inflict damage equal to a character's base injury value to cause one injury level of damage. That isn't the case, and any damage up to their BIV is one injury level, anything from BIV+1 damage to double BIV damage is two injury levels, etc.

Furthermore, the damage for a rulebook lasgun is only 2d6, and 2d6+2 is for most solid shot weapons. However, the majority of players on this forum agree that the rulebook lasweapons are rather underpowered compared to autoweapons, and most of us use Marco's Revised Inquisitor Armoury for weapon profiles. Not only is it generally considered more balanced and a fairer representation of the background than the rulebook, but it also has a much wider selection of ranged weapons and special ammo, as well as rules for creating custom lasguns and laspistols. Might be worth taking a look, but it does add a little extra complexity, so you might want to wait until you are confident with the basic rules first.

Subtle Symptom

Ah yes that does make sense. I was aware of some of this stuff as individual facts but hadn't brought it together.