Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Deathwatch Reborn:- Opening Shots

Started by Necris, October 02, 2009, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necris

+++Deathwatch Reborn+++
++Opening Shots ++
+First Phase+

++Deathwatch Strike Cruiser Xenos Bane++
++Under Current Command of Inquisitor Hex++
++Deathwatch Senior Officer Captain Demos Fannell++
++Ferrers Sub Sector++
++In orbit of Deathworld designated YJ9653++
++Destination Scarre System ++
++Meditation Deck++

The scrape of flint on blade hissed through the chamber steady and methodical slowly he drew the whetstone over the bone white blade in his hands his combat blade fashioned from the tooth of a copper basilisk from his homeworld close to two centuries ago, before him on an ork hide mat lay a carving of ironwood a indigenous fauna to the world that turned below the Strike Cruiser Xenos Bane, the wood was intriguing to him soft to work but given time to dry and season was as hard as plasteel or the plates of his armour which awaited him in the armoury below, he stopped mid stroke his head tilting up his voice echoing round the chamber a cold rasp.

"You are not Matthias."

Matthias was his serf from the Chapter he'd come along to tend his armour and weapons and to act as his aide and to tend to his needs during his tour, this newcomer smelt wrong, Matthias stank of oils and unguents used to clean his armour, the blessed fluid used to lubricate his bolter and the rank odour of the protein meals and supplement drinks all the hallmark smells of a serf of any Chapter, this newcomer was perfumed and slick with the stench of fine foods and wines, an Inquisitional dog he hesitated unfamiliar with the curt tone he'd used.

"No Captain Fannell I am not, Matthias is preparing your armour."

"So the Inquisitor decides when I am to arm myself now?"

"Indeed, you are too be armoured to greet your new task force."

He sat back breathing deeply his hands resting on either side of him still holding his tools he finally pushed himself to his feet in one fluid movement coming to his full height he turned on the Inquisitorial aide, the man was pudgy a life spent stuffing himself on the finest things in the Imperium, he took an involuntary step back as Fannell came to his full height.

"My name is Demos."

"What?"

"Fannell is my Clan name, my name is Demos not Fannell."

"I apologise for the confusion our records have your full name I just assumed."

"It is a common mistake, think nothing more of it, who are you?"

"I'm Rigal aide to Inquisitor Hexx, can I ask lord what is that?"

He gestured at the carving on the floor, Demos turned scooping it up he tossed it to Rigal who caught it as it hit his chest.

"A Copper Basilisk from my homeworld."

"They look vicious."

"Their young are more so, their venom from their fangs can kill marines in minutes."

"Marines? What about the adults venom?"

"An irritant at best, when they become fully grown they don't need the venom to hunt, they have enough
power and strength to rend tank hulls open."

"Truly vicious."

"Nothing compared to my battle brothers, come let us go and claim my armour you can brief me on the way I wish to know who my new watch brothers are."

Rigal watched as the giant strode past him he notice on the marines face a look of hunger and relish at the coming conflict it sent shivers down his spine as the Captain's eyes fell upon him as he passed, it had been one of the first things he'd spotted when the marine had spoken the pair of fangs within his mouth where his incisors should be, he swallowed hard then followed.

++Thunderhawk wing Fulman++
++En route  From Strike Cruiser Hunters Spear to Strike Cruiser Xenos Bane++
++Transporting Task Force Demos Marines++

A wing of Black Thunderhawks approached Xenos Bane large silver seals of the Inquisitor standing bold on the sides marking them clear as vessels of the Deathwatch.  Within the carriage compartment of the Thunderhawk designated Alpha the marines of this new task force sat in quiet reserve for some this was their first tour with the watch their armour still bearing their chapters heraldry boldy, for others this was just another assignment during their tenure of service to the watch, their armour already black the right pauldron and arm silver and bearing the badge of the Deathwatch. Brother Kurtis of the Angles of Absolution sat looking at the others from all the chapters this was his first tour with the watch though he was far from green he'd served his chapter for over a century in the 3rd company. He had made this requested this of his chapter master his desire to better understand the xenos threat and to learn new methods of killing then after a prolonged engagement with the Orks and Tau, he hoped to learn new skills from his battle brothers in his watch so that he would be able to take them back to his chapter so it could grow and become stronger for it. Looking around the marines once more he finally broke the silence.

"Have any of you served alongside the Brother-Captain before?"
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Simeon Blackstar

Martell smiled amiably at Kurtis, gauntletted hands resting on the boltgun and chainaxe plugged into cavities at his sides.  "No brother, not under Captain Demos.  In truth I know little of him.  I hope that my assignment to his command will last longer than my others though."
He looked around at the other battle-brothers arrayed next to and opposite him, noting appreciatively that a substantial number descended the Imperial Fists, as did his own.  With the blood of Dorn running in their veins, he felt sure that he could trust at least these to act with discipline, unlike the uncouth sons of Russ and the bloodthirsty Chapters hailing from Sanguinus. 

With some trepitation he noticed the winged blood drop on one of the other Marines' shoulder pad.  This tour with the Deathwatch could provide some rather more... interesting experiences than he had hoped for.

Swarbie

"I have not served alongside Brother-Captain Demos before either, Angel of Absolution," said Artos, his voice merely a hoarse whisper. "But I have heard of his many fine deeds and hope to shed much xenos blood under his command."

A grin quickly spread across his face as he turned to look at Kurtis, his blood-red eyes gleaming.

"Better stay out of my way, Angel. You might get hurt."

He turned away again and began talking to one of the others.  
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Koval

"Never served under Demos."

Matej Rant's voice was neither loud nor especially quiet, and he spoke in clipped tones to economise his speech, though there was nonetheless an almost jovial element to his voice. His steely eyes flickered almost imperceptibly between the other Marines around him, resting first upon a Paladin Benevolent, then a Destroyer, then another Marine to his right whose Chapter marking was on the other side of him. Whenever his eyes moved, they flickered around almost instantly, before fixing themselves upon Rant's current focus and hovering immobile like the eyes of a statue.

"Looking forward to it, though. Would appreciate new leadership."

This got Kurtis' attention and the Angel of Absolution looked at his Iron Hand counterpart curiously.

"And with whom have you served previously?"

Rant jerked his head around like a machine, staring at Kurtis with what could only be described as benevolent curiosity.

"Iron Hands, 3rd Company. Ended four years before Armageddon. Then Zajdel of Grief Bringers, K.I.A. by lacrymole assassin. Now, new assignment."

Rant sat back in his couch, and Kurtis caught a glimpse of Rant's Iron Hand insignia as the Sergeant reached behind him to retrieve his bolter. Unloading it, Rant drew a tiny auto-drill from his belt and activated it. He hunted around on the bolter's case for an area not yet covered in devotions, finally settling on the base of the grip and slowly, but efficiently, carving the Opus Machina into his bolter.

"Should prove interesting," Rant remarked absently, focusing on his work.

Swarbie

While talking to the others, Artos had also been looking around, trying to analyse his soon to be team-mates' fighting styles.

The Paladin had a chain-axe, so he would probably have some skill in close-combat.

The Angel only seemed to have his bolter, but doubtless he had something to ensure his safety up close.

And the Iron Hand was inscribing a prayer on his bolter. Artos studied him closely.
No sheaths or blade handles, no digi-weapons built into his armour as far as he could see.
"Hey, Iron Hand. Where's your close-quarters weapon?" he said. "I have my knife, the Paladin has his chain-axe, and I'm pretty sure even the Angel has a knife or something hidden somewhere."
With it, my world
To dust returning

Koval

Rant paused, marking the start of the Opus Machina's next line, before calmly lowering his bolter and turning off the auto-drill. He turned to face his accuser, Brother Artos, with a slight smile on his face.

"My weapon?"

Rant held up his right hand, flexing his fingers all in unison.

"Electoo inductor. Martian, gift from Magos Militant Arakyne for completing training."

"You're a Techmarine?" inquired Artos. "Forgive me. You're an Iron Hand, after all, your Chapter's known for its ties with the Adeptus Mechanicus. But why the electoo inductor?"

"Can't cut iron crab with knives. But crab still has nerves," Rant explained, fishing around in his belt and eventually retrieving a tiny electro candle, holding it in his right hand by the base. "Also helpful for Rite of Luminen."

"The Rite of Luminen?"

By way of answer, Rant seemingly activated the electro candle by thought alone, throwing a dim cyan light across his midnight-black armour.

"And when that's not enough?"

"Bolter fire. More efficient when whole galaxy still uses swords in age of Titans and Warp travel."

Rant stowed away the electro candle before withdrawing something bigger from his belt, roughly the size of a meltabomb.

"And for emergencies, plasma cutters. Easiest if few tools do many things."

Simeon Blackstar

Martell chuckled good naturedly as the Iron Hands Marine revealed his hidden weaponry and espoused the merits of the bolter over the sword.
"Very true, brother, it is easier to cut down the foe from a distance.  Hopefully you will never be forced to rely on your tools to defend yourself."

He turned to look at Artos, still smiling but with a slight hint of challenge.

"Speaking of close-quarters weapons, I was given to believe that the descendants of Sanguinus favoured such combat themselves.  Do you have something hidden up your sleeves too?  A pair of lighting claws hidden in bionic arms, perhaps?

Discy

Ignoring the conversation flowing around him, Simion checked the ammo-feed on the 'Fury of Mars' for the tenth time this hour. He looked up briefly when Brother Rant produced his hidden weapons, and caught his eye, before briefly displaying the Mechanicus symbol engraved on his palm, before returning to counting the amount of bolts in the ammo-feed.
Beep if you love muties!

Swarbie

Artos smiled back at Martell, his eyes giving him a slightly crazed look.

"As I said, I have my knife. And my chapter does indeed favour close-combat."

He paused for a moment, then continued speaking.

"But you only need a large, unwieldy weapon like your chain-axe if you plan on letting the enemy see you before you kill him."
With it, my world
To dust returning

Simeon Blackstar

Martell laughs out loud, enjoying the banter.  "Very well, brother, I admit I am not personally inclined to the stealth attack.  If we need a sentry taken down then I'm sure you'd do the better job, but when we're fighting our way through the midst of a mob of Orks or killing our treacherous brothers, I'll take my 'clumsy' weapon any day."

Swarbie

"True, your weapon is suited to a full-on assault. I may arm myself similarly if we are to encounter a full-on battle during this assignment," said Artos.

He grinned at  Martell, this time with a hint of genuine warmth.

"After all, there's nothing quite like the sensation of using a chain-axe, is there?"
With it, my world
To dust returning

Simeon Blackstar

Martell nods.  "I have to admit, given the choice I prefer the Thunder Hammer.  Now that is a weapon there really is nothing else like!  You can hit anything with that and be fairly sure it won't get up again." 
He pats the chainaxe at his side.  "But aside from one of those, this has done a good job at keeping me alive."

Koval

"Thunder hammer. Favoured of Salamanders," Rant noted, "and us. Heavy, unsubtle. Never used one."

"You've never lived, Iron Hand," Martell chuckled.

"Life, prison, death, release," Rant responded with a wry grin. "Ante, plus one. Meltagun, when heavier support needed. Killed charging ork war chief on Armageddon under Zajdel. Hamstrung carnifex at Morel's Reach. Slower than bolters, but more devastating."

He shrugged. "Best not to concern ourselves. All chosen for kill-team, not Vanguard."

Swarbie

"True, Hand," said Artos. "In all likelihood, we are not going to be deployed at the front of an open battlefield."

Thinking through the rest of what Rant had said, he found something interesting.

"You've fought the tyranids too, Hand?"
With it, my world
To dust returning

Discy

Sorting aimlessly through his pack, Simion enquired, "Does anyone have a electro-spanner on them? A bolt is loose on 'The Fury of Mars, which must be fixed." Withdrawing his hand his hand, Simion produced a spanner, with a Ambull claw handle. "Never mind."
Beep if you love muties!