Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Omnissiah directs our footsteps - Mechanicus WIPS.

Started by seaglen, January 06, 2016, 02:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

Hi there everyone,

Its been a while since I last posted something, so Thought I'd share a bit more progress on my characters.
I Have in fact got some more progress done on my Arbites character (pics to come soon), but in the meantime, I have started on some Adeptus Mechanicus miniatures!

The first I will begin work on is the easiest and simplest - a Sentry construct, based on the "Adepticonstruct" model I picked up from eBay months ago:

http://dev.adepticon.org/2012/04/enter-adepticonstruct.html

This model is almost perfect as it is - its pretty tall and menacing for inquisitor scale, and already looks like part of the AdMech!
I did want to make a few changes, so began constructing the model:

I decided to pop his foot up on a box from the Jusdge model, as I really want this guy to loom over the more human sized characters.

The main things I wanted to change/add to the model were to not include the metal "loincloth" and twin claws of the original miniature. I wanted to include a ranged on one arm, hopefully mimicking an Imperial Knight/dreadnought (the offset look of Combat weapon/ranged weapon is something I find a common trope of WH40k). I was also unsure on the original pauldrons of the miniature, as they are very round, and large - I also only think of American football player's pads when I see them! - I decided to swap them out for a set of Tyrus' Shoulder guards -

- these worked great - and instantly 40k'd the model, and tied it into the Imperial Knight/Titan aesthetic of the Mechanicus nicely!

Next up are the arms!
Seaglen

Inquisitor Vale

Very good so far -- a clever and effective conversion.
Inquisitor Ollanius Sabbat Vale, Ordo Hereticus (Amalathian)

seaglen

Many thanks!

more pics of progress - arms attached!

I went for a Boltgun on the left arm, and kept the original claw on the right. I just need to obtain a good ammo feed/hopper for it - am thinking a Flash Gitz ammo box would work. I added a nice big ol' purity seal (originally from the epic titan range i believe!) and also a brass etch cog symbol to one of the knee pads...

Starting to look really menacing now - and added the first stages of basecoating..

Inquisitor Vale

Looking very good (really like the bolter). Out of interest, how many bits does it break down into unassembled?
Inquisitor Ollanius Sabbat Vale, Ordo Hereticus (Amalathian)

seaglen

Thanks! I was slightly worried about the Bolter , as it's not only defacing this rare mini, but also was unsure about what to load him out with. The Bolter is actually from the old steel legion heavy Bolter team.

breakdown of the original model was as follows:
- head, including "collar"
- torso
- two legs
- two separate feet
- two arms with claws
- two shoulder pads
- one "loincloth"

I've decided to take the cog/sawblades off of the collar round his neck, as I think it just looks a little too impractical and busy.... More updates soon!

Lord Borak

God damn, that's awesome! i need to get myself a couple of those! Cheers for letting me know that model exists :D EDIT: Ugh, £34? Nah, I'm good. I make some more sentinel conversions.

The conversion is nice (the Tyrus pads work really well). The Bolter works well, A dum mag works well I think. The Purity seal came with the Reaver Titan ;)

seaglen

Wow £34?? - I managed to grab mine off of eBay for a fraction of that. Ah yes the purity seal dos come from the reaver :)

Thanks for the feedback - a drum mag for the Bolter it is!

Alyster Wick

That looks great! Man, I almost went to the Adepticon where they gave those away. Really kicking myself now...

I did not know those were Tyrus's should pads until you wrote it. They look incredibly natural, it's a great 40K touch. I agree with you on the collar and also agree with Borak on the drum for the bolter. I think it will match well with the counter-weight on the arm.

Were I in your shoes, I would trim a few millimeters out of the mini's middle. The gut of the torso just looks a bit long. Very minor critique though (and it's not your fault). I also question whether I'd take the time to follow through with my own suggestion if it were me.

Last thing, if you're up for it I think it'd look awesome to have the clawed feet gripping the ammo box. It'd require some cutting and adding in some kind of joint/articulation into those toes. And then you'd want to do the same for the other foot for uniformity. Again, it's a lot of trouble for a minor detail on what is a fantastic miniature. Happy hobbying, looking forward to more!

seaglen

Yes my next plan will be to remove the sawblade collar, and also add a drum mag.

With regards to the torso - this was actually one of my initial ideas too - however, I've already started painting it now, and as you said, im not sure I want to alter the original mini too much!
The feet idea would be great, and certainly give it a bit more realism but I think I will just leave him with the big flat feet! :)

EDIT: first splashes of colour going on:

Note - I will be drilling out the gun barrel of the bolter, as soon as i can find a drill bit thats the right size.

Lord Borak

The painting is coming along nicely. A bit of a coincidence, I've just dug out 3 steel legion Heavy Bolters for =][= Scale Bolters myself.

seaglen

Thanks Borak, coming from you that means a lot - your painting is a few levels above mine!

The Steel legion Heavy Bolters are great - with the small stock on the back I think they work brilliantly.

Small update on the painting as I still await the drum mag:

I've started to bring the red up, work on the piping and brass trim details, and also the skull:

I've still got to bring the pauldron scrollwork up - not sure what colour to make this in the end - any suggestions?

I also started on the base, and need a good colour for the box he is standing on...

Van Helser

That is a brilliantly creepy model. First I have seen of it, and boy does it work as an Inquisitor model.

I like the little conversions you have done, and the blue piping is an excellent choice to contrast against the red and metal. Would black scrolling with more of the electric blue scriptwork be out of the question?

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

I say go with either gold/brass scrolling (with black writing) or bone but I'd lean more towards the gold/brass. As for the Box on the ground, go for the same green as you've done the Bolter. It will keep the model balanced colourwise.

The red is coming along nicely (I hate painting red myself) and the metallics are good too (something else I hate painting). The model looks much better without the weird cog neck collar thing by the way.

seaglen

So I went with the bone colour for the scrolling - I think it works well, but I may just highlight it up a few levels.

Yes the collar was a little odd. I have now also attached the bolter drum - thoughts?

I've also added scriptwork to the purity seal - I'm pretty happy how this came out, as normally my attempt at this looks like little black squiggles...

I now only need to finish the painting on the drum, and to paint the cables under his neck, and finish off the scrolling....

Lord Borak

He's/She's/It's coming along nicely. The script work is great - It's something I hate doing as well... one slip and *rage*. Where did you get the Drum mag from?