Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Community sculpting project: Crusader - WIP

Started by Cortez, April 29, 2016, 12:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez

A lot of that is the armour, although she still isn't, er, small. She did end up a bit bustier than originally intended though.

Different weapons is definitely an option. I could probably adapt that weapon into a standard lasgun and something more exotic like a meltagun, without too much trouble. A chainsword or ordinary sword should also be easy enough to do (I've been meaning to do a chainsword anyway).

As for the next sculpt, while looking for inspirational artwork I was extremely inspired by some Ecclesiarchy images I found so I think I'll do some of those next. Definitely a Cardinal, which I've already started on earlier tonight and a Missionary Hero or Drill Abbot. I may do a Soritas inspired bodyguard character as well (I'm not sure I want to do another armoured female so soon).

I'm also still considering the Stormtrooper. I'd want to give that at least two head options (one beret, one kasrkin helmet and possibly a Death Korps of Krieg style helmet too). I'm also considering different arm options as I intend to try and make it a bit more modular than my usual sculpts.

mcjomar

Modular is always good.

Re ecclesiarchy i think I'd pick the missionary or zealot over the drill abbot as we already have one (i have a spare sat on my desk right now that i don't know what to do with. Maybe give to mordecai?)
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Thantos

Looks good :D If you want it 3d printed at a better resolution than shapeways, can always send it here and will match their price for you, for a fellow conclaveite :)

Cortez

Quote from: Thantos on February 28, 2017, 10:11:45 AM
Looks good :D If you want it 3d printed at a better resolution than shapeways, can always send it here and will match their price for you, for a fellow conclaveite :)

I'm planning to take you up on that. You also said earlier in this thread that you do a casting service which I am also planning to use. Can you PM me an email address so I can send you the file (what format do you need, is STL ok?) and you can give us a quote (and tell me if anything needs changing).

Lord Borak

Great stuff on the booster packs. A shotgun type weapon (solid slug) would be awesome. But a pistol and combat weapon would be a great addition as well.

Cortez, if you need some cash to go towards the project I don't mind chipping in.

Cortez

A pump action shotgun would work pretty well with the pose. So I'll definitely add one of those.

I've been thinking about how to do a dual wield pistol and a pistol + CC unfortunately that will require a bit more work as I'll need to completely repose the right arm including the upper arm armour (The left arm is in an ok position and just needs the wrist twisting 90 degrees or so). As a result it may be necessary to do it as an alternative version rather than as a booster pack.

Not enough hours in the day though at the moment :(.

Lord Borak

Not to worry. It was just a 'if it works' suggestion anyway.  :) The shotgun would look great I think.

Keep up the good work :)

Cortez

Here's a quick 'what if' repose using a very old (and quite frankly crap) pistol I designed when I was just starting out with zbrush. Obviously I've just done this as quickly as possible and have only twisted the left wrist and not changed anything else:

Does it work as a pose? Ideally I'd want to move and rotate the pistol arm into more of a getting ready to fire position. What do you think?

Lord Borak

I don't mind that pose at all. I think with maybe a sword rather than an axe the pose would look less cluttered. That pose also works if she were carrying a shield and combat weapon as well - it works with the shield in either arm as well.

Cortez

A shield would definitely work on the right arm.

A sword in the right arm would also work I think, it would look like she's about to do a back handed slashing/chopping attack.

More things for the ever increasing to do list  ;D

mcjomar

What sort of shield? Arbites style? (I really like those).
Or maybe something to the tune of the 28mm Inquisitorial henchmen (I can't remember the name for the acolytes with shields)?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Drubbels

Previously "Adeptus Noob"

Cortez

Quote from: mcjomar on March 05, 2017, 03:11:20 PM
What sort of shield? Arbites style? (I really like those).
Or maybe something to the tune of the 28mm Inquisitorial henchmen (I can't remember the name for the acolytes with shields)?

Those are the two options really. Probably leaning more towards the crusader design, which, ironically, was what this character was supposed to be anyway, not entirely sure when it switched to being more of a general Inquisitor design. I think I just wasn't inspired by any of the 40k Crusader art or 28mm examples.

Cortez

Following on from the previous suggestions, I've added a sword and shield option:

I'll see what the sword and shield looks like in the other hand and start work on a shotgun tomorrow :).

The test print has also arrived from Shapeways. It's turned out well, some slight stepping on the back but nothing some fine grade sandpaper won't take care of. Not sure whether or not to paint it for this weekend or just bring it as is so you can see what the print looks like.

Lord Borak

Wow, that looks awesome.

As for the first print. Can you leave it as is so I can see the model as it comes?  ;D