Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau (Or Inquisitor Oscar Van Halen?)

Started by mcjomar, June 17, 2016, 08:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

Well I just stumbled over the mini on ebay, and got it for a song (six quid, roughly, including postage).

The RT rulebook stats him up as follows:

Gear:
Powered armour (I'm assuming carapace, as there's no way it's full Power Armour)
Conversion Field,
Stasis Field,
Refractor Field,

Bolt Pistol
Power Sword
3 digital weapons: hand flamer, Laspistol, Needle Pistol

Grenades:
2 blind, 2 choke, 2 haywire, 2 Knock out
1 Krak, 1 Vortex, 1tanglefoot, 1 stumm, 1 plasma

Communicator,
Bioscanner + Energy scanner
Nose filters
Photochromatic eyedrops
immune injects
infravision contacts
chemicals for the jokaero needler
porta-rack (bag of holding?)
rad counter
stimulant chemical (erm?)
syn-skin applicator (3 uses)
3 suspensors
can of web solvent

(Does he have psychic powers too?  :o )

And based on the stats, he'd likely have:
WS 82 (WS 5 - so hit's on a 2+ unless facing someone really nasty)
BS 83 (BS 5 - again 2+)
S 64 (strength 4)
T 66 (he's toughness 4)
I 64 (move of 4)
Ld 82 (Ld 8)
Sg 86 (Int 8)
Wp 87 (Wp 8)
Nv 84 (Cl 8 - whatever that means?)
And that's the "average" inquisitor????  :o
Supposedly inquisitors are 50% likely to be psychic, so sayeth the RT book.
I throw my hands up at this one - what possible psychic powers would our walking armoury have I do wonder. ::)
He's part "Obiwan" though, so let's see what we've got.

Psychic powers: (gulp)
Telekinesis
Psychic Impel
Psychic Shield
Telepathy
Mind Scan
Enforce Will
Puppet Master
Mesmerism
Psi-Track
Distraction
Detection
Warp Strength

Regenerate (probably not, but jedi do have healing trances?)

Abilities?
Who knows.
Heroic, leader, and true grit immediately seem likely.
And as he's a walking apocalypse, I'm guessing lightning reflexes also.
After that, I have no idea.  Feint maybe?
Acrobatic also?

Now, for my take on what is WYSIWYG with this mini (the "powersword" looks more like a gun than a sword so I'll treat it as such, unless someone here says different).

WS 59
BS 65
S 54
T 56
I 64
Ld 82
Sg 86
Wp 87
Nv 84

Right handed

Gear:
Carapace armour
Infra-goggles (those funny sunglasses)

Knife,
Knuckle dusters
(both of these because if we're discounting the "power sword" he'll need something suitably hidden)

Autopistol/Heresy-era bolt pistol with sickle mag (this could go either way, really as to which it is - but having experienced the nastiness of power armour and other assorted gubbins, I'm quite comfortable with the idea of using a bolt weapon)

"Power Sword" = ... what? It's not imperial, or at least not obviously so. Unless I guess it's an obscure one. Which leaves... Inferno pistol? Plasma Blaster? Graviton Gun (maybe not, with the new marine models) - webber? Neural Shredder? Hrud Fusil? (this last one sounds interesting) Or maybe it's just a very odd looking power sword after all?

Web solvent
PsiTracker
ReBreather
Filtration Plugs
Synskin

Poisons (for the knife):
Bloodfire
hallucinogen
choke
stun

Abilities:
Dead Eye Shot
BladeMaster
Hipshooting
Quickload

(Now, that all looks a lot more reasonable than the prior walking armoury, and relies on him actually putting himself in danger).

There's a widget round his neck that could be either a medal or the WYSIWYG of one of his energy fields. But I'm comfortable with it just being a widget, frankly.  I'll entertain arguments either direction though.

So, who should Oscar Van Halen be?
Inquisitor of the Order Hereticus seems most likely.
NOT A PSYKER AT ALL HONEST. (probably).
Probably a hive-worlder, based on his sense of style, likely an unlucky Schola Progenium orphan from one of the necromunda hiver gang regiments officers.
The model is basically your standard "Private Eye" style guy, so recongregator is a reasonable philosophy. Or amalathian. Flip a coin, let's go recongregator, after starting as an amalathian but becoming disillusioned over the decades.
Likes hats. Mostly floppy wide brimmed ones. And long coats. Hates shaving. Probably has a baby face when he does.
Is terrible with shoes.
Hates most forms of drugs, except for opiates. Really hates lho-sticks. Likes amasec.
Is physically apparently in his 40s, maybe late 30s.
Knows how to deal with lower classes better than nobles, and tends to ruffle feathers when it comes to spyrers.

Erm, otherwise, not sure.
He just arrived in the post today, and I just stuck him onto a slotta-base, so no idea what else to do with him just yet.

Here's one picture:
http://store.wargamingtrader.com/system/files/imagecache/product_full/i920%20-%20Rogue%20Trader%20Flyer%20Part%20One%20Inquisitor%20%20%20%20%2013-03-30.jpg

And an image of a painted version:
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/d/22814-2/gargole1.JPG

For now he goes into my carry case with the rest of my Inquisitor models, both 54mm and 28mm.
Maybe I'll get back to him and his background (Oscar of course) later.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

QuoteAnd based on the stats, he'd likely have:
Clousseau's stat line is just the standard for an Inquisitor in RT, from an era of the game when it was normal for heroes to have inflated S&T stat and the like. (Quoting: "The typical Inquisitor is represented here by the renowned Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau").

It can probably be argued either way as to whether the Inquisitors leading armies in the main 40k games are more combat competent than the Inquisitors leading quiet investigations in Inquisitor; while the 40k Inquisitors are likely to have been in more major battles, an =][= Inquisitor often walks into unknown situations with just a few allies and low-key equipment. Someone who carries a laspistol but has survived several "Oh frak, there's actually a dozen heretics in this safehouse" moments is no slouch.

(Also: WS5 means he would have hit a normal WS3 human on 4+ in RT, and Cl is "Cool", as in "keeping your cool" or "a cool head").

QuoteHe's part "Obiwan" though, so let's see what we've got.
By that logic, he's also part "Sherlock" and "Clousseau", so he should be mispronouncing half his words, falling over the scenery, getting attacked by his manservant, wearing a deerstalker, declaring that "What is Lithium? Element three, my dear Watson" and have a nemesis called Darth Panther Moriarty.

Also, remember that this was considerably pre-prequel Star Wars. Jedi powers weren't actually all that formidable in the original films. A bit of precognition and suggestion, with the telekinesis being quite limited. (Anything heavier than a couple of kilos gets levitated at a snail's pace).

All in all, I'd say he doesn't really justify a hugely inflated profile. A lot of this was "the way RT worked" and the only real questions are the "skin tight powered armour" (which has been retconned out of the background as WH40K has become more gothic), his panoply of shields and a lot of grenades.

Quote(this could go either way, really as to which it is - but having experienced the nastiness of power armour and other assorted gubbins, I'm quite comfortable with the idea of using a bolt weapon)
You're not likely to encounter a lot of power armour in the current "meta" for the game, but a bolt weapon would make him a very nasty foe for any warband that didn't bring along power armour.

Anyway, my laptop's about to run flat, so I'm afraid that's all I can say for now. Maybe more later!
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

QuoteDarth Panther Moriarty

Just found the name for my Chaos Character! Thanks!

In regards to the skin tight power armour. You could maybe use the Syn-skin rules with maybe a modest strength bonus? It sounds either horrifically advanced (Golden age shenanigans) or Xenos Tech.

mcjomar

Quote from: Lord Borak on June 18, 2016, 03:38:17 PM
In regards to the skin tight power armour. You could maybe use the Syn-skin rules with maybe a modest strength bonus? It sounds either horrifically advanced (Golden age shenanigans) or Xenos Tech.

Perhaps - but on the mini it just looks like carapace.

And "Darth Panther Moriarty" is fantastic, we need to see this happen.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on June 18, 2016, 01:06:59 PM
QuoteAnd based on the stats, he'd likely have:
Clousseau's stat line is just the standard for an Inquisitor in RT, from an era of the game when it was normal for heroes to have inflated S&T stat and the like. (Quoting: "The typical Inquisitor is represented here by the renowned Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau").

It can probably be argued either way as to whether the Inquisitors leading armies in the main 40k games are more combat competent than the Inquisitors leading quiet investigations in Inquisitor; while the 40k Inquisitors are likely to have been in more major battles, an =][= Inquisitor often walks into unknown situations with just a few allies and low-key equipment. Someone who carries a laspistol but has survived several "Oh frak, there's actually a dozen heretics in this safehouse" moments is no slouch.

(Also: WS5 means he would have hit a normal WS3 human on 4+ in RT, and Cl is "Cool", as in "keeping your cool" or "a cool head").

I guess I picked the right stat for Nerve then.
I'd guess 40k-level inquisitors (in any iteration of the game) will by necessity be a lot heavier on the combat side of things than their more investigative brethren. Or else have more enhancements to help in that area of work.

I do look at RT and wonder what would happen if we returned to that starting point and rebuilt an AU 40k universe off the back of it that was less grim-dark gothic, and changed things up a bit.
Example: female space marines were a thing (they hadn't invented the Sisters of Battle yet), and Marines weren't enhanced, just nicked from feral worlds, heavily trained, and brainwashed.
I wonder where 40k would be if it was less mega battle game, and more campaign skirmish game, but better than necromunda, and with a stronger RPG Inquisitor spin-off, at both 28 and 54mm, rather than outsourcing to FFG.

QuoteHe's part "Obiwan" though, so let's see what we've got.
By that logic, he's also part "Sherlock" and "Clousseau", so he should be mispronouncing half his words, falling over the scenery, getting attacked by his manservant, wearing a deerstalker, declaring that "What is Lithium? Element three, my dear Watson" and have a nemesis called Darth Panther Moriarty.

Also, remember that this was considerably pre-prequel Star Wars. Jedi powers weren't actually all that formidable in the original films. A bit of precognition and suggestion, with the telekinesis being quite limited. (Anything heavier than a couple of kilos gets levitated at a snail's pace).

All in all, I'd say he doesn't really justify a hugely inflated profile. A lot of this was "the way RT worked" and the only real questions are the "skin tight powered armour" (which has been retconned out of the background as WH40K has become more gothic), his panoply of shields and a lot of grenades.

Oh granted, but when I looked at that I figured it would be funny to import it as-is into Inquisitor as a rough estimate of what would happen.
Especially with modern knowledge.
Still, if we were to use Original Trilogy basis, then Telekinesis, Telepathy, Detection, and maybe one or two others would probably be enough.

Quote(this could go either way, really as to which it is - but having experienced the nastiness of power armour and other assorted gubbins, I'm quite comfortable with the idea of using a bolt weapon)
You're not likely to encounter a lot of power armour in the current "meta" for the game, but a bolt weapon would make him a very nasty foe for any warband that didn't bring along power armour.

As a general rule, but I've found that  Power Armour has a habit of appearing anyway, so I've taken to throwing the occasional bolt pistol and/or haywire grenade into my warbands as a precautionary measure. Otherwise, I tend to have very few options other than "run for it" in terms of stopping a Power Armoured foe.
That whole ability to walk through walls also tends to preclude dropping a building on someone, assuming I have that option.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

TallulahBelle

In fairness RT era marines were taken from prisons and filled with combat drugs as opposed to gene therapy enhancements but they were still 'more than human' going back to that era the power level of an army would be higher than it is now and so much less balanced virus bombardments that meant any army without rebreathers just died on turn one guard officers firing vortex grenades from launchers

As for a roleplay world I think a game like INQ couldn't really exist in the same way in RT the grim dark sort of defines INQ and its twisting plots. Would be interesting but I know 80% of my campaigns and characters wouldn't fit the RT era canon

MarcoSkoll

I've just found a remnant of an incomplete post I saved to my hard-drive a while back:

Quote from: mcjomar on June 20, 2016, 08:21:30 AMI'd guess 40k-level inquisitors (in any iteration of the game) will by necessity be a lot heavier on the combat side of things than their more investigative brethren. Or else have more enhancements to help in that area of work.
Personally, I'd say they're often the same people.

While some Inquisitors will be almost permanently focusing on military matters, and others will entirely refuse to go near a battlefield, there are those who will move between the two as the situation calls for, taking to the field to command the forces they've mobilised as the true scale of the heresies involved became clear. Most Inquisitors will have much more impressive equipment in their personal armouries than would be necessary, subtle or even viable to use during a quiet investigation.
Personally, I'd say that anyone who, armed with a flak vest and a stub-auto, has come through several underhive shoot-outs is going to be a pretty mean opponent when he breaks out the bolt carbine and customised carapace.

Like I say, it can be argued either way. If nothing else, assuming that the difference is more equipment rather than skill makes adapting and balancing characters between the systems considerably easier.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Here are some pictures for my version of the Inquisitor model. It also has some pictures of my rogue trader and crewman (the two ladies from Reaper).

http://imgur.com/a/u4jJU