Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm Space Wolf in Resin!

Started by Aurelius, March 15, 2017, 02:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurelius

Well well well look what arrived in the post today. A 70mm space viking, who just so happens to be perfectly sized to be a 54mm scale space marine.

Don't have any models on me for comparison, but the legs look similar in size as Artermis. If he's a bit taller, it is isn't outrageously so I don't think.

Great detail on the torso

Very nice indeed. The pose is not entirely my cup of tea (slightly leaning back, probably to swing the axe), but I may convert it slightly to suit. The head is also very much human sized, so could be used on other models also.

If you need a link, check out the 54mm models sticky post.

Lord Borak

Nice to see someone pick this up. I was thinking about grabbing it myself but relented. It'd be nice to see how it scales up to Artemis. What are your plans for the conversion?

Aurelius

Ask and you shall receive... a perfect scale. Bolter and backpack are actually a little smaller but everything else seems to match up really well.

For the conversion I'm leaning towards a Wulfen. Moral ambiguity and questionable loyalty fit well in an inquisitor setting I think. Now I need to find a wild enough head!

EDIT: And by Wulfen I mean the old metal style ones. So not in the style of the awful new models. No wolf legs or anything like that. Possiblly just a member of the 13th Company

mcjomar

I like the core model too much to alter mine so I'll probably just build and paint it as is once I have it based and built.
While I like the original wulfen, the new ones with power-armoured shorts just don't quite work for me.
I do like the classic 13th company though (again, not sure about the modern ones...)
On the other hand, Wolf Blades are also a thing.
And it's not as if Space Wolves haven't worked with the odd Inquisitor, once in a blue moon.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Lord Borak

Thanks for that. He's actually fairly thin compared to Artemis. His chest size is an awful lot smaller.

Aurelius

Quote from: Lord Borak on March 15, 2017, 07:27:13 PM
Thanks for that. He's actually fairly thin compared to Artemis. His chest size is an awful lot smaller.
No problem. Yes he is a little slighter overall. To me it still works though, I don't think he would pass as a human in power armour for example.

Quote from: mcjomar on March 15, 2017, 01:34:53 PM
I like the core model too much to alter mine so I'll probably just build and paint it as is once I have it based and built.
While I like the original wulfen, the new ones with power-armoured shorts just don't quite work for me.
I do like the classic 13th company though (again, not sure about the modern ones...)
On the other hand, Wolf Blades are also a thing.
And it's not as if Space Wolves haven't worked with the odd Inquisitor, once in a blue moon.
Those power armour shorts are awful aren't they? I think I will give the Wulfen idea a miss (crazed wolf man would be hard to include), but 13th Company with some pieces of chaos armour would be really cool I think. I better see if the Space Marine helmet fits ok on this guy...

mcjomar

There's mine, pinned by the left boot to a 60mm base.
I'm going to keep him pretty much as-is and just rely on a paint scheme.
Ideally I want to take inspiration from that picture of a Space Wolf fighting an Ork on the cover of IIRC the 3rd ed Space Wolf codex.
Paint him up roughly that way.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Aurelius

It's a super cool model. Great pose you have there. Make sure you post up some WIP photos

mcjomar

To me fair, this is just the standard model and pose, but given a 60mm base, and tilted forward slightly so he didn't suffer from the same "leaning back just a bit too far" issue that I'm wondering if my Cypher model suffers from. I mean, you can write it off as "he's dodging an attack in close combat by leaning/leaping backwards" but it still looks a little odd from the side.
I repinned him so it looked as if his left bootheel was stepping down a little on that part of the base while the other boot was on its toes. I'm hoping it makes it look as if he's switching balance forwards to swing that axe, possibly by stepping forward on his right leg to add impetus to the swing.

TheClassyGamer

I've one of those fellows as well.  I thought from the waist up he was a bit too narrow across.  However I've not assembled mine and seeing the pictures of him standing it actually looks pretty good in that pose I think.  Also, if there isn't another big guy next to him I don't believe it would look out of place at all.

Though I think his backpack is a bit on the small side. It would be interesting to see what he looks like with the other one.  Overall I think it is a good figure, well worth putting to use.