Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Lord Umbrae, Ordos Hereticus, Canis Sector

Started by Inquisitor Cade, October 10, 2009, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Cade

Inquisitor Lord Umbrae is the senior Inquisitor in the Canis Sector. Situated as it is away from the front lines of Imperial space, and across the galaxy from the eye of terror, no Inquisitor Lords of the Ordos Mallius or Xeno operate within it on a permanent basis. As such Lord Umbrae is on occasion petitioned for support by Inquisitors of other ordos, as he has more access to resources in the area than any other single individual. On the whole however, hereticus is the only ordo that is active on a large scale within the sector.

Inquisitor Umbrae was nearly a century old when he became involved with the Inquisition. He was a drill abbot within the Scola Progenii on Terrus Septimus when he was inducted as an acolyte, and was over 140 when he joined the ranks of the chosen. For 200 years he scoured the Canis sector, pursuing the Emperors justice as he had within the scola, albeit on a larger scale, and with more fatalities. Though he took rejuve treatments to extend his life, he was not young when he started on them, so never regained the face of his youth. The evidence of his age on his face however was a blessing rather than a curse as he was respected as venerable by those to whom the title of Inquisitor was not enough. He gained great renown for his efforts and effects within the sector, and the list of his achievements grew. When Inquisitor Lord Adume died, the conclave was unanimous in elevating Umbrae to the position of Inquisitor Lord, Canis.

For 50 years after gaining this authority, he continued his purging, but his age started to catch up  and he started to slow. He began to worry about his insignificance in the lasting scheme of things, after all, he only had a limited time to serve the emperor. He began making visits to the Scola's of the sector, and to the military and naval academies, seeking the best of the imperium to become his acolytes. By training them, in his philosophies, to be Inquisitors, powerful figures to carry on the vital work of the Inquisition after he was gone, he felt he was fulfilling his service, and by sending them on missions he was able to regain a personal hand on the purity of the Canis sector.

Now 472, he operates from his stately house on Heathland, a mid population planet orbiting the same star as the sector capital, and from Bullgrox, a light cruiser on permanent requisition from the navy. He has brought more than 25 individuals into the inquisition to date and has as many as 6 acolytes serving him at this time.

Inquisitor Lord Umbrae.

WsBsSTIWpSgNvLd

Bolt pistol with reload. Chainsword. AV 6 ceramite on chest and abdomen, AV 4 on right arm, AV 2 on all other locations (mask inhibits awareness as an open helm). Conversion field. Hexagramic wards. Advanced bionic lungs. 2 gunskulls with auto pistols (sub machine pistols), 1 hunter skull with bioscanner, 1 combat skull.

Right handed. Leader. Old (as an atrophied leg). Feint.

The WIP model can be seen here:
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=159.0

What does anyone think of the character? Do the stats represent what they should and does the equiptment give the impression of being the best without being over the top?
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on October 10, 2009, 11:57:50 PMWhat does anyone think of the character? Do the stats represent what they should and does the equiptment give the impression of being the best without being over the top?
I think it's a very reasonable character. Stats that are very justifiable, and modest skills.

Equipmentwise, I might normally question the combination of average(ish) armour in combination with a conversion field, but given his low toughness, I think it's perfectly acceptable.

A bolt pistol and chainsword are high end weapons, but in a nearly half millennia old Lord Inquisitor's case, perfectly acceptable (along with the rest of it). I would note that with his strength, he's going to be earning himself negative penalties if he tries to use that pistol single handed though.

(And on that note, no handedness specified)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Simeon Blackstar

I agree - the stats seem well justified for a man who was highly active in his day, but has declined physically in his old age while maintaining his mental ability (even if his reactions have slowed a bit). 

To be honest, an Inquisitor Lord of Umbrae's standard could probably get whatever he wanted, so perhaps he sees the chainsword as an instrument of the Emperor's wrath, or even just grew attached to it while still a drill abbot?  Otherwise I could easily see him getting a power weapon just as a gift.  Maybe he has a couple stashed around the mansion, but just doesn't like them as much as the chainsword, or more characterfully, passes them on to his better acolytes on graduation to full Inquisitional status so that they get put to good use?

Myriad

I like the general feel of this character.  He is rather well equipped - the chest & abdomen armour adds to around 11 on average, but this is all in keeping with who he is, and he's easier to hurt elsewhere.  Added to that, energy fields are pretty appropriate to older inquisitors, who've been shot at before.  His strengths are well balanced by the modest stat line.

The chainsword does seem like quite a bulky weapon, but I like the idea that it could be a favourite weapon.  The alternative power weapons, like bolt pistols, normally cripple someone in one hit, so I'd try to avoid giving a character both.  Overall a good character.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Inquisitor Cade

Cool, I'm glad I didn't over do it. I chose a chaisword for the model because I had one with an ornate hilt that suits the character. As he tends to delagate actual close combat fighting responsibilities I don't think it a problem that he chooses his weapon based on reasons other than effectiveness.

Quote(And on that note, no handedness specified)
Very good point, I'll edit one in.
*Insert token witticism*