Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Character Concept; Monodominant Inquisitor

Started by Kasthan, October 11, 2009, 02:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasthan

I am looking to gather opinions about a new character/warband concept.
A Monodominant Inquisitor (who is a blunt) has been driven to think that to defeat Chaos and all those who use it, he must make humanity into a race of blunts and pariahs (except for a select few e.g. Telepaths and Navigators).
He along side a Techpriest (biologist) tamper with genes to create a new age for humanity, one that can not be affected by Chaos, one that could walk up to a daemon with no trouble to the person. 

Warband would consist of:
Inquisitor, Monodominant. Probably based off the Thorian Inquisitor model.
Techpriest, biologist. Magos Gruss, breacher removed replaced with medical tools.
A 'New' Human. Unsure of model.

C and C more than welcome. Complete changes to characters etc. possible.   

Inquisitor Cade

Sounds interesting. How would you do the geneticaly artificial blunt? I', not sure weather this would be possible, as I don't think that the imperium has the expertise to learn weather or not psychic capacity is even genetic, let alone altering it. In my opinion the ambition of the warband is not achieveable within the 40k universe. Not that this would discourage the character of the Inquisitor, I just recon the third character might be better as someone other than an artificial blunt, maybe a pariah who has been experimented on to try to narrow down the genes that control psychicness, or maybe they have one of the aphrael strain soldiers or equivalent as a starting point and have, I don't know, tatooed his insides with wards to see if that helps.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on October 11, 2009, 03:23:52 PMIn my opinion the ambition of the warband is not achieveable within the 40k universe.
While I might agree on the unlikelihood of their plan, that doesn't mean that I think it's not acceptable as a character motivation.

Some people are bonkers. If they think it's the way to do things, then they'll sure as hell try.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

GhouraAgur

So, pretty much, the Inquisitor's trying to fight evolution, eh?  ;D

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on October 11, 2009, 03:23:52 PM
Sounds interesting. How would you do the geneticaly artificial blunt? I', not sure weather this would be possible, as I don't think that the imperium has the expertise to learn weather or not psychic capacity is even genetic, let alone altering it.

Altering it, I wouldn't know, but the Orders Famulos of the Adepta Sororitas specialize in jotting down family lines, and can often pinpoint certain, well, quirks.  They often know of many saints before they do anything especially saintly or great, and more often have been following the line just for years.

Also, the Navis Nobilitae don't "keep it in the family" without reason; Navigators just don't come about naturally.

So I'm pretty sure some folks in the Imperium have a notion that psykic sensitivity is a somewhat genetic affair, and a few might even think it the next stage in human evolution.  The trouble as ever is, psykers are tied to the Warp, where nasty thingies live.

Also,
...to defeat Chaos and all those who use it, he must make humanity into a race of blunts and pariahs (except for a select few e.g. Telepaths and Navigators).

Is one heck of a double standard in my opinion.  But that's actually perfect for Inquisitor!

If he's interested in pariahs, he might want to have a looksee at the Culexus temple.  Ties to the Ordo Sicarius would certainly help with that!

Simeon Blackstar

Quote from: GhouraAgur on October 12, 2009, 04:18:58 AM
So, pretty much, the Inquisitor's trying to fight evolution, eh?  ;D

I don't know, the Imperium has a pretty good negative pressure thing (what ever you call it) going with psykers.  If it weren't for the power of plot, I'd say psykers should be dying out.

Really interesting concept though - the warp-separation is one I'd thought about too, but this is a really nice exection of the idea.  Currently mine's in limbo as my original characters main underlying idea, but I may decide to retcon it out.

Myriad

Alot of the oder fluff talks about humans becoming a more psychic race.  Someone with access to all the records of daemonic attacks may well come to the conclusion that humanity needs to be immunised.

On the subject of gene technology fluff is conflicting - certainly the space marines are an extreme example of such, and it seems to me the imperium at the very least had it in the past, in which case elements of the tech are likely to remain.  My own noble characters have a couple of traits that are 'fixed' into their families as status symbols.  Certainly, given bionics and average life-spans there's fairly advanced medical tech running around, if you can afford it.  All he's doing is trying to isolate an existing trait, which isn't that implausible.

The aim as a whole might be unobtainable, but he an certainly work towards it - his own personal cadre of nulls, for example, could be of considerable use, as would a 'vaccine' against psychic powers.  It is often implied that nulls tend to be dysfunctional, so any treatment could well have side effects.  I can see this guy experimenting on some backwater planetary population and causing trouble (which is good, in the context of the game).
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Inquisitor Cade

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on October 12, 2009, 12:37:57 AM
Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on October 11, 2009, 03:23:52 PMIn my opinion the ambition of the warband is not achieveable within the 40k universe.
While I might agree on the unlikelihood of their plan, that doesn't mean that I think it's not acceptable as a character motivation.

I was very careful to make this very point, in the sentence after that one in fact.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on October 12, 2009, 02:33:57 PMI was very careful to make this very point, in the sentence after that one in fact.
Perhaps then, I should have specified I'd read that sentence. I did wonder if I needed to.

I was simply agreeing with you on the assessment of "Yeah, they're never going to do it, but they're going to try anyway".
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: Kasthan on October 11, 2009, 02:00:43 PM
A Monodominant Inquisitor (who is a blunt) has been driven to think that to defeat Chaos and all those who use it, he must make humanity into a race of blunts and pariahs (except for a select few e.g. Telepaths and Navigators).
Perhaps he's heard of Quixos who had apparently mastered the art of creating untouchables, and despite being appalled by the thought of digging into the work of such a notorious radical/heretic, he is spending more and more time going down the same route?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

precinctomega

Necris

I imagine this involving some form of soul net device that can be used to drag/contain a individuals soul within the body to prevent it from connecting with the warp sort of like a naturally occurring human size gellar field. 

Could also involve Necron technology seeing as how they are very much anti warp and would open up a radical xenos explorator or some such addition to the warband

I have an inquisitor who is actually trying to do the opposite and is trying to create an artificial psyker using gene therapy as he seeks the future in mankind lies with the psykers (much like the eldar but we wouldn't cock up like them)

I have a question would your new human be an abomination or normal looking, I think it would be interesting to have an abomination as the inquisitors success but at a cost.
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Carados

Do it!

We need more biologists  ;D
Mine might play around with aliens (and humans, and everything else), but everything works on a very similar basis.  The possibilities are nearly endless.

Kasthan

Humm, the concept of a abomination is interesting.

I was think of avoiding the Necron tech due to the puritan style of the Inquisitor.

Quote from: Kaled on October 12, 2009, 05:23:11 PM
Perhaps he's heard of Quixos who had apparently mastered the art of creating untouchables, and despite being appalled by the thought of digging into the work of such a notorious radical/heretic, he is spending more and more time going down the same route?

This is a good point to, do you think he might vigorously avoid the chaos aspect of Quixos' work? On the other hand he is carrying out some horrific experiments/processes to complete his goal, e.g. forcibly experimenting on humans, using psykers to test out his latest subjects ('lets see what happens when you... at subject no. 3451'). This process could be seen as more extreme and damaging to the human race.

It could go the the other extreme that he uses captured daemon hosts of his enemies to test his new creations. This, although he hates it, is the best way to check whether his experiments work.

Personally I think he would know of the side effects (the damaging consequences that people don't like to be around nulls etc.), but considers that to be a minor problem in improving the human race.

More comments welcome.   

Tullio

Arguably Quixos' greatest plan had nothing to do with Xanthite philosophy at all - trying to close the Eye of Terror certainly ranks as both insane and dangerous as well as probably Tech-Heresy considering how he was trying to do it, but hardly a case of fighting fire with fire. If anything, it's more like fighting fire with the ultimate water.

I like the idea that your Inquisitor might test his creations using daemonhosts - that's got to cause him some loss of sleep some nights, and there's a nice grey side to it. Just like the real world - experimental medicine always has a distasteful downside, for example

Tullio

Adlan

Maybe his Pariah Project works. Perfectly, it creates a being with no warp presence, no 'soul', and after many abberations, he finally produces an unmutated human.

Who has no Soul. Cold, callous, ruthless, and activly evil. Might be fun to have his favourite be pure evil, and only he dosn't see it. Have the Character have to pass Wp tests or snap the neck of wounded and prisioners, even when it's not favourable, have him go too far, in a world where too far is a long long way.

Maybe.