Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Salute display - 13th November 2021, ExCeL London

Started by MarcoSkoll, June 02, 2019, 12:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Salute have posted their games list and map, so we now know where we're going to be and what's going to be around us.

We're at GD20. Not quite the prized spot on the end of a row where we're visible to everyone going past, but we're not completely out of the way, and we are near some reasonably major traders (probably most significant is Battlefoam).

Our neighbouring games are going to be...
- Atlantis Games, 28mm Fantasy skirmish (Trader game)
- Skull & Crown Stratagem. 80mm Steampunk (Participation)
- Little Wars Revisited, 54mm 19th Century (Participation)
- Blitzkrieg Miniatures, Mech combat (Trader game)
- Essex Warriors, 1/20 scale Space Hulk (Particpation)

... so for the most part we seem to have been put in the "big models" corner. As far as I can tell looking over the list, there's only one other "large scale" game elsewhere (right next to the entrance, as it happens). So, we're not going to be able to stand out scale-wise from what's around us, but I  think we're still on solid ground; stuff like the 54mm vehicles should still have its impact.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

1/20 scale Space Hulk?
Poor little Artemis can't compete with that.

MarcoSkoll

Well, Artemis may not - but the plan is to be there with at least three 54mm scale vehicles, so I'm taking it that in the end we're probably going to be putting the bigger models on the table.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I've already posted about this on the Discord, but I'm looking at (finally) getting around to printing myself up a 'Clave shirt for Salute. I need to make some slight adjustments to the image files I've got, but I'm thinking this works as a layout:

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor_Snarf

Looking sweet!

If I was not on the other side of the pond I would chip in for one.

MarcoSkoll

Right, a couple of notes...

- Can people who will be assisting send me details of their preferred characters? I need to try to create some match-ups.

- COVID-19: It remains a considerable possibility that large events will end up cancelled because of government controls. However, I'm aware that several people have made/need to make travel plans and accommodation bookings.

With that in mind, and assuming that any restrictions brought in will allow it, I'm also looking at a possible back-up plan of trying to grab a table or two at one or other of the Dark Spheres and running a mini-event there instead such that any bookings aren't completely squandered.

Quote from: Inquisitor_Snarf on March 10, 2020, 12:40:12 AMIf I was not on the other side of the pond I would chip in for one.
There's been a bit of interest, and while I'm not sure it's going to be practical to do a batch of them unless several people are meeting up at an event, I will make the high quality image files available once they're properly tidied up and updated, so people can make their own.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

I would be very into getting a Conclave shirt, if that's a thing that can happen.
I'm still sad I lost my Conclave dice from all those years ago.

I'll be putting a character post up some time in the next week or so.
A (very) small T'au trade delegation are visiting the system to meet with a similarly small negotiation team of Techpriests, facilitated by notable fringe scum personality Jal Kericho and a mildly-infamous Explorator coven (Mirielle and Planck) respectively.
Mirielle, Planck and Jal are likely to be the main movers and shakers of the set, plot-wise, perhaps 'guided' by their bosses/charges.

The T'au are four models, effectively un-armed/civilian, joined by Kal Jericho with a hand-swap.
The Mechanicus representatives are one thinker and two ceremonial guards with beefy hand-weapons (the three Techpriest 'statues' from HITECH, which I now can't find links for). They will be joined by the familiar group of Magos Orlan Mirielle (Gav's sculpt), Planck (Gruss), and a couple of waifs and strays.
I'll bring the Artemis/daemon prince conversion too, but I don't think it will see teh table unless you have a special need for big red behemoths.
Probably 12-14ish models total.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: TheNephew on March 11, 2020, 10:26:36 AMI'll bring the Artemis/daemon prince conversion too, but I don't think it will see teh table unless you have a special need for big red behemoths.
I'm not ruling too much out at this stage; it depends on who wants to bring what characters.

QuoteI would be very into getting a Conclave shirt, if that's a thing that can happen.
I'm still sad I lost my Conclave dice from all those years ago.
I've had a few people express interest, but I'll not try making the arrangements for a batch order just yet; it's still very possible that the country could end up on lock-down by then.

(I'll be very disappointed if we do end up having to miss this, as I've wanted to arrange a Salute display for years and unless we get some recruitment, I think it's going to get more challenging each year... but still, public health is obviously the bigger concern).

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

On the basis that Salute does go ahead, and the event is set during the end of 40k, rather than the "current" timeline, then expect to see Samantha, young Jack, and their local planetary law enforcement officer they acquired as Victoria's replacement after the last debacle.

I'll also have Helena, Jacey, and Raldana, but I'm thinking of overhauling their sheets (or re-writing from scratch).
I'll also have my 4 marines (Cypher, Novarius and Antoninius (ultramarines), and my as yet unnamed Lamenter with assault cannon) but obviously not for play.
I've got "Current" Jack (unpainted) his sniper (partially painted) and his interrogator (fully painted with char sheet on these boards somewhere).

All in one case - I'm not planning on bringing a daemon, or the rogue inquisitor plus minion, as they're up on ebay for sale.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

The theme is that this part of the preparations for the Alykia Crusade that "Legacy" at the London GT kicked off, so the Carthax time-line has not jumped forwards.

~~~~~

However, that's partly because my assumption with any events I will be running going forwards is that while the Carthax timeline has not significantly advanced, the wider time-line has; it's explicitly stated in the new canon that the shock of The Rift's formation lead to some sectors jumping forwards centuries, while others stood nearly still.
(My personal interpretation is that the warp, already twisted in how its geometry related to real-space, also twisted in time; things may not have actually stood still, but when simultaneity is primarily determined by warp communication and travel, it's difficult to tell the difference between another sector having jumped forwards fifty years, and the fact that the warp journey to that sector now connecting to a point fifty years later... or at least, fifty years later than it did. Who knows if it connected to the same time before!).

This is the best compromise I can think of; it doesn't require people to abandon all their existing characters or for us to wedge in a century or two of new Carthax history, but it does also mean I don't need to try banning anything based off the new stuff because "hasn't happened yet".

Whether other GMs agree with me and do the same... well, everything you have been told is a lie.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Inside information suggests that Salute will be going ahead unless ExCeL or the government cancel things.
So, yeah.

Given that this is connected to the LGT event, Samantha and crew will be front and centre.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Inquisitor_Snarf

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 10, 2020, 01:39:52 PM
I will make the high quality image files available once they're properly tidied up and updated, so people can make their own.

Awsome, thanks!

TheNephew

Quote from: mcjomar on March 13, 2020, 08:05:00 AM
Inside information suggests that Salute will be going ahead unless ExCeL or the government cancel things.

40k has a wealth of "I have a good excuse to wear a respirator" cosplay opportunities, so I'm sure we'll be fine.

MarcoSkoll

Can I have a verdict please?

It's looking pretty damn likely now that Salute isn't going to happen - and it may well also be that Dark Sphere will be shut too (they're closing for at least two weeks, except this coming Saturday), so there's no real "mini-event" back-up plan.
Even if it does happen, I'm expecting it's going to be a pretty big wash-out, with very poor attendance.

I've put down some cash for some extra exhibitor wristbands, but other than that I'm not that heavily invested financially.

Emotionally... well, it's going to be really disappointing to have to abandon it, as it's very likely we won't be able to do it again. I've had at least two past failures with the idea, because normally people can't provide good answers before the submission window closes, and our community isn't getting more active.

However, hanging on does mean people may end up committing to buying train tickets, hotels, etc that can't then be refunded.

At this stage, what should we be doing?

GW's =I= articles

Charax

well, I'm already pretty heavily committed, with a non-refundable hotel room for the weekend so I'll be there on anything short of a government mandated shutdown. Open to any alternative arrangements people want to make
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page