Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Salute display - 13th November 2021, ExCeL London

Started by MarcoSkoll, June 02, 2019, 12:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

EDIT:

As all game spaces for Salute 2020 were pushed back to the 2021 show, we are still on for putting on an Inquisitor display.

The current plan is still (if we have the numbers) to split this into a morning and afternoon display, in order to give participants some opportunity to explore the wider show.

~~~~~

Old Edit:

Updating this initial post, we have been accepted for a 54mm scale display game at Salute, with a 6'x5' table at our disposal. (I considered larger, but this is already larger than we use for many of our games and it obviously increases the amount of terrain that would need to be transported. Also, it could have impacted our chances of acceptance).

Planning and such will now commence; I'm still looking for volunteers to assist in varying areas - as players, providing resources such as models or terrain, crowd wrangling or for those who won't be able to deliver themselves in person, potentially co-writing and editing.

Depending on numbers, the plan may end up being to split it into a morning and afternoon scenario, in order to give more people the chance to get involved, as well as free people up to peruse the show themselves.

~~~~~

Original Post:

Once again, I'm proposing putting on a showcase Inquisitor game at Salute (as I have been for a few years now), and submissions have today opened up for Salute 2020.

Any such game wouldn't be one of our standard open events, but an opportunity for dedicated veterans to show off our hobby to several thousand gamers from around the world (plus many more following online)

It's entirely free to run a game (unless we need mains power), we can request as much table space as we need (tables are 6' by 2'6") and we get four free passes for the job (further passes are £10 each)

As before, I'm assuming we'd probably run a morning game and an afternoon game (as I don't think it would be a good idea to stretch one game out over the entire day; I think we want to keep it playing briskly), with a hefty break for people to do some exploring, and that I will be GMing for at least one of those games, but those arrangements could be mixed around heavily. (I might be a player or I might not be involved at all, if we as a community think there's someone better for the job).

I think it's something we could make a good showing of (we have a habit of drawing attention at our other events), and I have an ever-growing collection of portable Inquisitor terrain, so I still think we should be taking a stab at it.

I'm looking at this being a 54mm game (for a display game, scratch-built 54mm vehicles are going to stand out more), but I would like to have some 28mm figures on display as part of the overall package.

I know it's problematic for people to commit this early on (and space fills up fairly fast), so this time I'm proposing that if there's enough interest we put in a submission and withdraw later on if it should become clear people won't be available.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

TheNephew

Double-posting, and perhaps not perfectly on topic:

Listening to the Dragged Into Turbolasers podcast, there was a discussion about getting Inq28 convention games, invitationals and display games arranged.
The UK scene (or lack thereof) and Salute specifically was mentioned, briefly.

Would it be fruitful/desirable to reach out to them, or that cabal of Inq28 personalities, if there is going to be a table for Salute 2020?

Pros:
More word of mouth.

Cons:
I know it is planned to be a 54mm event, and that wee cult deals in smaller toys.
I don't know if anyone could/would want to devote time to talking/writing about it with them - I'm pretty sure I couldn't.

Heroka Vendile

If we're confirmed for this, I can probably make it. It will depend on the final date chosen for the spring concert I'm involved in.
As Salute is a 1-day event, that increases the odds for me.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

We're not yet confirmed, but I think we've got enough interest that we can probably take a stab at an application and hope we can drag the numbers together if people drop out later.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Can people please recheck their calendars and get back to me on this? I've left the registration as late as I think is reasonably safe, and would like to get it in fairly soon.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I've had enough volunteers that I've put in an application. It's by no means guaranteed, but here's hoping.

I'd still welcome other offers of help and ask people to keep checking their calendars - the more possible volunteers we have, the better proofed we are against drop-outs and it wouldn't hurt to have more people to handle things on the day.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

And now I've checked some of the details in the e-mail I was sent, I can say that we have been accepted for a 54mm scale display game at Salute 2020, with a 6'x5' table at our disposal.
(I considered larger, but this is already larger than we use for many of our games and it obviously increases the amount of terrain that would need to be transported. Also, it could have impacted our chances of acceptance).

Planning and such will now commence; I'm still looking for volunteers to assist in varying areas - as players, providing resources such as models or terrain, crowd wrangling or for those who won't be able to deliver themselves in person, potentially co-writing and editing.

Depending on numbers, the plan may end up being to split it into a morning and afternoon scenario, in order to give more people the chance to get involved, as well as free people up to peruse the show themselves.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

That's great news!
6'x5' is bucket loads of room for a game and a display sideboard.
I'll probably bring my small collection of 28mm toys as well, as something a little more accessible after the attention grabbing 54mm models, unless folks would prefer a solidly 54mm-focused arrangement.

I'll try to finish up the many 54mm projects I've got kicking around, so I should be able to bring a few more models than the familiar Mechanicus gitz too.
Do you have any specific requests? NPC, generic scatter terrain, objective-marker-lookin'-things, a kitbashed vehicle or two?

I think an AM and PM scenario would be best - I'm going to need some time to roam.
I'd be happy to have public nerds play a couple of turns with my toys while I'm away, in the interest of community engagement.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: TheNephew on October 05, 2019, 11:00:01 AMI'll probably bring my small collection of 28mm toys as well, as something a little more accessible after the attention grabbing 54mm models, unless folks would prefer a solidly 54mm-focused arrangement.
I'm playing my gamesmaster's decree here; we will be promoting both scales.

I won't insist that the exhibitors on the day be avid 28mm players, but I won't accept any rivalry. While I picked 54mm for being more distinctive (and I also thought that an unusual scale increased the odds that the SL Warlords would be interested), we have to accept that it's not easily accessible to everyone, especially not these days.

QuoteDo you have any specific requests? NPC, generic scatter terrain, objective-marker-lookin'-things, a kitbashed vehicle or two?
As of yet, no. Most of those things will probably be useful, but I'll need to nail down specific scenario ideas before I've got exact requests.

QuoteI think an AM and PM scenario would be best - I'm going to need some time to roam.
That is hopefully the plan; the final schedule will depend on how many volunteers are available.

QuoteI'd be happy to have public nerds play a couple of turns with my toys while I'm away, in the interest of community engagement.
Well, we're specifically booked in as an exhibition rather than participation game.

While a participation game isn't unthinkable some other year (Inquisitor can be pretty accessible with a good GM), the plan this time around is to put on something dramatic and eye-catching; a big part of the pay-off for us will be if we can get any coverage on wargaming news sites or blogs, extending our reach past just the footfall on the day.

But big showy games, while good at grabbing attention, are sort of the direct antithesis of keeping things manageable for complete newbies.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Afternoon all. Sorry I've not been around too much - real life has been busy.

However, we're now about three months out from this display game, so we need to get our plans properly in order.

Can anyone who's volunteering to get involved please recheck their availability and get back to me as soon as possible?

Once we have a fairly concrete list of volunteers, we'll start sorting out the actual details regarding which characters we'll be putting on the tables and exactly what they'll be disagreeing over.

The plan is still to split things into a morning and afternoon display - both to give people time off to explore the show themselves and to try to keep the pace up rather than putting on an overly large game that gets drawn out to the point that it's tedious for anyone to watch.

As such, we'll have a certain amount to do regarding matching up the available characters for the most interesting combinations.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

I'm definitely in, barring catastrophic events.

I have a(n expanded) selection of generically robed AdMech bipeds, a few more civilian robed folks, a couple of generic security goons, and an armless T'au pilot that I'm planning on arming soon.

mcjomar

My calendar is currently probably maybe clear for that weekend (I think?).
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on January 27, 2020, 08:48:24 AM
My calendar is currently probably maybe clear for that weekend (I think?).
I think that's probably maybe not particularly useful for actually planning things. (Okay, definitely not :P). If you can check diaries and tighten up dates, then it'd be appreciated.

As it is, the hope is that we'll be able to put on some particularly strong games - scenarios written specifically for the characters in question, a luxury we don't tend to get at our standard events. But that does rely on me having fairly solid answers about who'll be available.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

After conferring with the other half, I should be available (unless something ridiculous happens, in which case I'll probably have other things to worry about).

Given that I'm trying to paint 1k points of eldar for a battle with an old friend on the 26th, I'll probably just bring Samantha, Jack, and their Arbitor replacement for "Vix", as those are already painted.
(Plus some space marines for display I guess).

Painting anything new at 54mm isn't going to end well.
I've got some 28mm groups also (two that are painted, anyway), so it depends where my primary attention should go.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.