Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

blogging about inquisitor

Started by cymrilian, July 13, 2019, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cymrilian

sorry for the late reply.

Yes, the solitaire is better as an NPC. And i like your idea. Would make for a great campaign.

seaglen

Amazing!
And what an exciting prospect - all those heads, backpacks etc.
I'd murder a planetary governor to get hold of a pair of bolt gun holding arms to make Artemis into a normal looking marine, running forwards holding a bolter in both hands.

cymrilian

that sounds like a great thing to print up. the problem with asking my mate to print things up is that I have to just guess the right size to print, and it is easy to get it wrong.
for example, i sent him a file of some hooded heads, but i got the sizing wrong, so they look just a tad too small (more 50mm scale than 54mm).
If i had my own printer, then no worries, just resize it up and try again. much easier to experiment and use trial and error to get the perfect size then.

MarcoSkoll

Well, that's particularly interesting, as I wasn't aware that ArtelW had released all those old models, and I do happen to have my own 3D printer these days (which isn't all that busy at the moment, partly because I'm still waiting for much of the resin I ordered - I have alternatives, but I don't entirely want to use them up on stuff that would be better done by the resin that hasn't arrived)

While I'm not a fan of everything in that pack, there'd certainly be something to be said for printing out an Eldar or two...

~~~~~

As far as the scaling, one thing I've been doing so far is exploiting the fact that I've done 3D scans of some of my models; I can load the scans into the editor and scale them based on known dimensions (usually that they have a 40mm base), and then compare the sizes there. As such, it is possible to do the comparisons pre-print, with less guesswork as far as how big they actually need to be.

EDIT: For example, for the Eldar Farseer, I can compare to a known model and say that a 1.6 scale factor would be a reasonable-ish sizing. (Possibly a little big, so I might actually go 1.55 or so. Eldar are meant to be taller than humans, but maybe not quite so much).

With that in mind, it might be worth scanning in a known model to use as reference.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

cymrilian

awesome. that looks like a better way to do it then how i am doing it (i import a ruler and eye-ball off that). But i find that it is very imprecise and tricky in a 3d environment. and I also find that i keep on increasing the size of the objects (like a little scale creep).

that eldar looks cool too.

i saw your dice...have you printed any minis yet?

Mentirius

That is a pretty sweet 54mm troupe...  I agree Harlequins are among the coolest factions in 40K, for livery and lore.  Have you ever tried one with the old Lord of Change staff top for a mask?  It has an amazing "wicked clown grin" going on...I used it for a Chaos Magus at one point way back in the day, but I always meant to get around to trying a proper Harlequin with the thing. 

cymrilian

thanks for the tip. i'll check that staff out

seaglen

Absolutely mad muscle-bros!   ;D
Love the use of that often kit - I've had my eyes on it for a while for potential parts too.

Great use of various models there. 👍🏻

cymrilian

cheers. I'm glad i used the tehnolog barbarians. I'm not too keen on sculpting muscle arms with greenstuff.