Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Starting an Explorator Warband, requesting input

Started by Corvidian, January 04, 2020, 04:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvidian

And that's that for equipment for my theorized Explorator warband! I'll decide on actual stats later, when the actual campaign approaches and all the players have decided on which types of warbands they want to choose, and whether or not I'll actually use the Explorator one.

I do have the following inquiries I'd like input on:
1. Combat Servitor has pretty bulky armour, should it be flak or carapace?
2. A few of the models have light fixtures on their shoulders or elsewhere. I cannot find any rules for lights such as these, any suggestions on rules or where I can find the rules?
3. In He's Machine Now More Than Man they reference flak-gown as armour, though I cannot find rules for this either. How would you rule it, and where can I find rules for them? And should all Explorators with cloth have it?
4. The Dominus is quite powerful, and as such should only be included in campaign climaxes or other important scenarios. Who would you designate as his second in command? And would you give him the Leader special ability?
5. For the Tech-priest Squat, what would you name his role? Tech-Priest Squat would be too silly for me (I like somewhat serious games), and a more serious designation would be preferred.
6. Lastly, but the most important question: What kind of changes would you employ, if any?

FierceDefence

With regards to the armour, what is their save in the AdMechs rulebook? Maybe go off this.
Treat the role of the Squat as if he was not a squat. I don't think his race defines his role.

Corvidian

Flak armour is valued at 3, so that might just work. Considering how much of their bodies are covered in it, would it be a bit too much?

And I know, I mean more based on his equipment and abilities. He is fairly similar to the Enginseer, I think.

FierceDefence

Yeah, it's a bit sketchy. Maybe ask the GM if that's not you.
So now, on with the stats :P

Corvidian

Heh, well, unfortunately, I am the GM, hence me asking. Might just make it an armour value of 2.

SOON, each is going to take some time to write up, and even that's after I'm satisfied with the equipment lists.

TheNephew

Quote from: Corvidian on January 10, 2020, 03:25:47 PM
Lastly, but the most important question: What kind of changes would you employ, if any?

That's all entirely up to you - not a directly helpful reply, but it's an approach that will make life a lot easier for you down the road.
The rules are not particularly prescriptive, and the armoury and marketplace are totally incomplete rules-wise, so make up something that sounds close enough.
If it turns out to be too strong, too weak, or doing something different to what you want, just change them mid-game and don't tell anyone - if you're the GM, they probably won't notice, and if they do you can tell them it's a Machine Spirit glitch.

For the Servitor's armour, you could make a fair argument for Carapace (Av4-5) on the left arm, chest and abdomen, and Flak (Av3) or cloth (Av1-2) elsewhere based on that model photo. The same is true for most of the 40K models pictured (lots of Carapace, some cloth).
Or to make running the game easier for you to focus on the more interesting characters (i.e. the ones operating a complete brain), call it Av3 all over and leave it.
Flak-Gown can just be Av2-3 on those you think would wear protective clothing - soldiers, forge workers etc - but maybe skip it on those that shouldn't be in the line of fire like the squat.

Lights? I don't know if they have rules, but just let them ignore darkness in the direction they are facing for visual-based stuff (spotting, shooting, etc.).
Maybe they can blind people with the glare when nearby (target passes an Initiative test or suffers a -20% to sight-based stuff).

I don't know if Leader fits the Mech all that well - it's less inspiring and more ordering, in my mind. Having said that, there's no reason you can't re-skin it as command codes and give it the same effect.

Tech-Priest is a Tech-Priest, be it short or tall, unless you want it to be a story plot point that he's in a different role due to his differences.

Corvidian

Thanks for the input, I greatly appreciate it.

I'm considering going for carapace on all the armoured locations, which would be armour value 6 according to the rulebook. They'll be very hard to take down with pure damage, that's for sure!

I might take you up on those light rules, though I think the blinding should only work in the dark, since they'll have adapted to darkness (totally, don't question the logic, haha).

Each warband should have a Leader IMO, to represent someone taking charge and, well, leading them, even if it's a secondary leader. I suppose I could simply make up a couple special abilities. Primary leader, which functions just as the Leader ability, but also a secondary leader, which works as Leader, but only when the Primary leader is absent from the game.

I know, I mean more as a secondary name, like Tech-Priest Dominus, Daedalosus, Enginseer, etc.