Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

An overdue return

Started by Dolnikan, April 06, 2020, 03:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolnikan

Hello everyone! I know that it's been a while (2013 to be precise), but finally I have returned here. I'm guessing that I'm long forgotten by now but still I have rediscovered my passion for the inquisition and decided to look back here. It's amazing to see that forum remains active and that I even recognise some of the names!
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

Hello!

Yeah, we're still here. We've had a change of management (I am now said management), but there are still some old faces around.

Alas, pandemic lockdown has heavily curtailed any plans we had for events this year, but I'm currently trying to work out the details of remote gaming as at least a stopgap (although I'm having enough success with miniatures scanning that it might actually be entirely possible we can keep using the approach long-term in order to get games in more often or with people further afield).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

Thank you for the warm welcome back! And of course, for taking over management of the site!

The lockdown indeed is complicating a lot of things right now. I would already be hard-pressed to come to events because I recently moved back to the Netherlands where I haven't been able to find much in the way of traces of Inquisitor. The online options however sound fascinating, and how are you scanning miniatures?
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

maglash1017

Wow, someone else in the Netherlands? I live there too and have never come across anything here either. Anyway, welcome back!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Dolnikan on April 09, 2020, 09:47:40 AMThe online options however sound fascinating, and how are you scanning miniatures?
Photogrammetry. The short version is "take loads of pictures from different angles, then let a computer process it all to work out what the original object looked like".

It's not especially complicated; if you've got a camera that can take sharp model photos, there's free software that can do the processing without requiring much technical knowledge. Cleaning up and optimising the scans afterwards is a bit more technical, but it's the kind of thing I can do in a few minutes per model, so it'd be feasible for me to clean up models for others as we go.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 09, 2020, 02:23:31 PM
Quote from: Dolnikan on April 09, 2020, 09:47:40 AMThe online options however sound fascinating, and how are you scanning miniatures?
Photogrammetry. The short version is "take loads of pictures from different angles, then let a computer process it all to work out what the original object looked like".

It's not especially complicated; if you've got a camera that can take sharp model photos, there's free software that can do the processing without requiring much technical knowledge. Cleaning up and optimising the scans afterwards is a bit more technical, but it's the kind of thing I can do in a few minutes per model, so it'd be feasible for me to clean up models for others as we go.

That sounds like something even I might have some success at. I'll try it as soon as I have access to all my models again!

Quote from: maglash1017 on April 09, 2020, 01:29:10 PM
Wow, someone else in the Netherlands? I live there too and have never come across anything here either. Anyway, welcome back!

Thank you! And if you don't mind me asking, where in the country are you usually?

maglash1017