Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

First Founding Project- White Scars

Started by greenstuff_gav, March 25, 2021, 01:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

As noted previously, i'm moving each of the First founding chapters into inquisitor with appropriate bsckground and model - as noted in Dark Magenta "he's onna quest!" doesn't really justify such an investment in time and effort

That said the White Scar is a bit of a cop-out, giving the opportunity for him to partake in games of Inquisitor

While Jaghatai Khan united the tribes and clans into the unified White Scars Legion, several members still retain their individuality, many moving into Forward Scouts, pathfinders for the main forces of the Chapter.

Tormar is one such member and has taken on the path of searching out signs of the Primarch and the Drukhari, often bartering aid to Imperial forces in exchange for fresh supplies and transport across the Imperium of Man

I had the helmet + pad i made a long time ago - only managed a single cast back when i was casting regularly

next was to have a scavenge in the bits box - some extra grenades and pouches while hacking up Artemis' legs and arms as per standard for converting the marine

While i did this, i grabbed a random Marine Bike STL - i've been learning 3D Printing and scaled it up to as big as it'd fit on my build plate

It didn't print out properly but where i planned on hacking it up it wouldn't be an issue
it's also slightly too small but don't plan on sing it in game - it would be placed as an objective - a method for players to distract the powerhouse that is a Space Marine

Also started to reassemble the marine's limbs - it's often easier to do this work before assembly then detailing once it's together

final picture for this update i've gotten him assembled and looking for some detailing to change the look more into a son of Jaghatai

While i wait for greenstuff to dry, hopefully we'll get an update tomorrow!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

greenstuff_gav

just a small update - managed to run out of greenstuff, brown paint and now undercoat spray!

still, slapped some paint on the bike - splashed some colour on the loaded gear to emphasize the focus on him traveling apart form the rest of the company 

plus while putting him alongside the bike i managed to break his hand off - he's holding binoculars - almost as if he's gotten off the bike to scout the field

hoping to start the marine next - start working up the greys ...

Build Your Imagination

Mentirius

That bike is a monster of a model!  Obviously a long way from the largest 1:32 scale vehicle I've seen on here, but still beastly when you look at it next to the rider.

Needless to say, this is solid work from an old master, on which I barely feel qualified to comment...but while I'm here, I especially like the 'stache, and that simple but awesome mod of the Artemis sword.  It is good to see you back. :)

greenstuff_gav

it is a huge chunk of resin - thankfully i printed it hollow!

too be honest it's a bit quiet in here - good to see older member still active, while i love constructive criticism, at the moment any sign of life is preferred!

4 hours into hte paintjob so far and basic colours done :D 

Build Your Imagination

mcjomar

Looking pretty awesome so far.

Also driveby thank you, as your guides on carving up metal marines have been incredibly helpful for my own marines!
Big time thanks for creating all those resources.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

cymrilian

the bike looks awesome. and love the face of the space marine, especially the moustache!

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: mcjomar on March 30, 2021, 08:11:37 PM
Also driveby thank you, as your guides on carving up metal marines have been incredibly helpful for my own marines!
Big time thanks for creating all those resources.

glad they help - unfortunately my site imploded so i know all the images will be broken but i re-uploaded what i had to each page on the website

thanks chaps - always good to know people are interested in what's going on - even if my rate is slower and quality not as good as used to be!
i went up to off white and used White Scar as the highlight but doesn't show too well on the picture

Gotta highlight up the details and he's just about done

once i get the Behemet packed away will grab the whole collection out for a group shot :)

Build Your Imagination

Mentirius

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on March 30, 2021, 07:14:16 PMtoo be honest it's a bit quiet in here - good to see older member still active, while i love constructive criticism, at the moment any sign of life is preferred!

It waxes and wanes I think; these last couple of weeks have been on the quiet side but so far I think we're doing better than last year for overall forum activity.  Still plenty of IRL weirdness out there pulling people away, but I've enjoyed seeing some modelling projects in progress again recently after a long dry spell.  Seaglen and Cymrilian in particular have been doing the Conclave proud.

Anyway, I'm excited to see you return and I think the concept for this guy has turned out really well. Amazing how much difference a bit of sculpted facial hair can make to an otherwise familiar head. The vibe of having parked the bike up to get his bearings comes through nicely in the pose...he looks out of place somehow but in a good way, pretty much how I imagine a lone Space Marine from an "outdoor themed" chapter like the White Scars would appear on his own in the underhive. 

Looking forward to seeing that group shot!

maglash1017

Looking very promising! Great to see you return to both the forum and this project. The white on the bike looks a bit grainy, is it because of the way the resin prints?

seaglen

That's an incredible bike and rider.
The pose is spot on and I'm a fan of the tooth necklace too.

Really great to see more progress on this - and looking forward to seeing the whole group!

Ps - kudos for painting so much white - it's a colour I rarely dare to do in such large areas, but it really works !

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: seaglen on March 31, 2021, 11:15:36 PM
Ps - kudos for painting so much white - it's a colour I rarely dare to do in such large areas, but it really works !

the "trick" to white is to go greys - over black i usually go straight to astronomicon grey and then keep adding white to it :)

getting there :D
Space Wolves next but gotta think up some appropriate background for him first!

Build Your Imagination

mcjomar

My knee-jerk for a space wolf would be to start with the Lone Wolf unit (from one of the earlier edition codexes), and then figure things out from there (i.e. what sagas are attached to him, etc).
I think it was 5th or 6th ed?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

cymrilian

it's only semi-related to your project, but out of interest, do you think you will ever make a primaris space marine? (or have you already?)

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: cymrilian on April 02, 2021, 08:30:44 PM
it's only semi-related to your project, but out of interest, do you think you will ever make a primaris space marine? (or have you already?)

i haven't as yet - would want sculpting from scratch methunks
Of course, 3D printing makes conversions like these somewhat obsolete but that's where i'd start

Build Your Imagination

greenstuff_gav

had some room on the printer so scaled up some files and gave 'em a try - i think the legs need to be a touch bigger plus i don't have file for backpack + arms but do have a helmet file

Build Your Imagination