Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

starting again

Started by Phueck, October 18, 2009, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phueck

Its been a few years since I played any GW games but ive recently decided to get back into it. After much umming and aahing ive finally decided to try something new and get in to Inquisitor. The whole idea of a narrative driven game rather than the usual points restricted winning at all costs approach sounds really interesting and im already starting to think about how I want to develop my warband. So a few questions:

My initial idea for a warband is: an inquisitor, adeptus mechanicus, rogue trader or 'fixer' and ex imperial gaurd riflemen/dogsbody, on some kind of quest/mission to locate pre-heresy artefacts/annhilate warp fouled scum. So can anyone suggest any websites/media where I can get some inspiration to help me flesh out this story? Ive read a lot of the various 40k codexes and some of Dan Abnetts books over the years so I think of got a decent background in the universe im just looking for some more inquisition specific ideas.

I remember when Inquisitor came out there were quite a few different bitz packs (other than just the chaos henchmen pack) there was one for force/power weapons at least and I think and imperial guardsmen accessory kit, do GW still produce these or not? Or is it just a case of buy four/five models and then mix and match as best you can using green stuff to fill in the cracks?

Ive got an image in my head of a gaurdsmen with a lasrifle raised to his shoulder, looking down the scope. Looking at the models available Dorian Black with a little customisation seems to be the best choice. Any ideas?

I see they produce eversor and callidus assassins, did they ever produce a Vindicare assassin? I think it would make for a  very cool NPC.

Any answers or advice about any of my ramblings would be greatly appreciated.

ASJ

Kasthan

Hi, here are some answers;
Quote from: Phueck on October 18, 2009, 03:58:41 PM
So can anyone suggest any websites/media where I can get some inspiration to help me flesh out this story?
There are a few good places to look: Links on Bolter and Chainsword just have a wander through till you find what you are looking for
The main rule book itself
The PDFs that GW released (See Marco Skoll's sig)
Dark Magenta Magazine
and I'm sure others will point out more.

I remember when Inquisitor came out there were quite a few different bitz packs (other than just the chaos henchmen pack) there was one for force/power weapons at least and I think and imperial guardsmen accessory kit, do GW still produce these or not? Or is it just a case of buy four/five models and then mix and match as best you can using green stuff to fill in the cracks?
They unfortunately (I.e. pain in the backside) stopped doing this and several models. You can still get hold of them through ebay or the Arcadian Smugglers Ring.
Buying four or five models then mix and matching works. Recently I did just that, creating a good solid warband (+ using a few bits I had left over from other models/40k parts). If you do this pick models of a similar size and style, no point in buying Quovandius or Krieger 'Krash' Thrax and expecting parts from them to magically match/fit.
Ive got an image in my head of a gaurdsmen with a lasrifle raised to his shoulder, looking down the scope. Looking at the models available Dorian Black with a little customisation seems to be the best choice. Any ideas?
Yes this could work, its just a shame that his head looks rubbish. You might want to look at some other companies first before you buy. Have a play with ideas, does a guardsman have to look like the typical cadian?
I see they produce eversor and callidus assassins, did they ever produce a Vindicare assassin? I think it would make for a  very cool NPC.
The Vindicare was produced for a sort time. The mould was poor and the model had massive amounts of flash/mould lines (so I'm told I've never held/made it). If your lucky it sometimes turns up on ebay.

Hope this was some use.
Kasthan

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kasthan on October 18, 2009, 06:28:50 PMThe PDFs that GW released (See Marco Skoll's sig)
It's probably better to direct people to the "Inquisitor PDFs" sticky at the top of the page, because then they don't have to hunt down my signature.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

Welcome to the Conclave!!

You've made a good choice.  INQ is a compulsive hobby, with considerably more depth than most GW games, but the hobby side of it is challenging, to say the least.  The Conclave has made something of a virtue of necessity, by tracking down manufacturers of good 54mm models, and inspiring many members to become dab hands with the sculpting tools.

You proposed warband is OK.  Generally speaking, I would say that an Inquisitor, a Rogue Trader and a Mechanicus Adept tend to sit at about the same sort of "level" in terms of story and can grate against one another in a warband.  That's not to say that they can't play together on the tabletop, but I would recommend taking each one and using him (or her!) as the core of a warband in his (or her) own right.  You can then mix and match across the warbands as one leader loans resources to another.

R.

Phueck

Thanks for the replies and advice, ive bought a few bits and bobs online so hopefully theyll arrive soon (please dont strike royal mail!)
Quote from: precinctomega on October 19, 2009, 08:56:21 PM
Welcome to the Conclave!!

I would say that an Inquisitor, a Rogue Trader and a Mechanicus Adept tend to sit at about the same sort of "level" in terms of story and can grate against one another in a warband. 

R.

Having read around the subject a bit more I tend to agree with you. Ive been thinking about the relationships between the characters and come up with a few ideas. 

My inquisitor will be searching for a technological artifact (havent made up my mind about philosophy/faction), the gaurdsmen was removed from his unit by the inquisitor for personal reasons and is fiercely loyal. (I think he saved the inquisitor's life/is the last surviving member of his unit and was rescued by my inqisitor are both fairly cliched so im trying to think of something slightly different) The rogue trader will wind up being a freelancer with good local knowledge that my inquisitor has hired for his contacts. His motivations will be financial, with the odd chance that if the warband turns up something juicy he might sneak off with it. Like any good mercenary theres always the off chance that someone could make him a  better offer. The mechanicus will share the same drive to locate artifacts as my inquisitor, but he has his own motives, they joined together because it was mutually benficial but there is some serious friction due to conflicting priorities.

Im still working on it obviously so any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.

precinctomega

Perhaps the Mechanicus adept could be a Tech-priest exiled from his forge world for his "innovative" thinking.  He needs the Inquisitor's resources and can't call on the exotic personal defences of forgeworld adepts.  He is hungry, though, to seize the lost archaeotech for himself to redeem his reputation and/or wreak his revenge...

R.

DapperAnarchist

While a warband of Inquisitor, Rogue Trader and Magos COULD be incredibly powerful - it could also, if well played, be very very interesting. If badly played, its very powerful - "of course the three all have exactly the same objective, or two of them follow every order given by the third...". If well played, where each character is filled out, interesting, significant in their own right, then its less powerful, and more interesting - and allows for the warband splitting, old friends becoming bitter enemies, and all the good stuff that makes Inquisitor fun.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Srixx

Another possibility of making it even more interesting is writing in your own 'negatives' for characters, such as gear malfunction etc this could also lead in to relationships e.g X for one reason or another has had numerous run in's with Y / Y's and as such is wary of them as such can never end a turn so close to them.  This can tie nicely into the back story as well.  I've found that in the number of games i have played alot of potential plot lines and hooks appear naturally and with a good GM and equal fairness from both players there can be some interesting outcomes.  Sky's the limit as they say :)

As for other inspiration sci-fi movies, books etc are all good sources even browsing through the multitude of Inq pdf's that are available spawn ideas, if you are struggling for ideas / back stories using something called Heidfield's 20 questions is a good start (i've only just found it recently and its proving to be alot of fun) Hope this has helped

Heidfeld's 20 Questions c/o  Kallidor
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=270.0

Inquisitor PDF bundle c/o MarcoSkoll and co.
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34.0

Kudos

precinctomega

Whilst I agree with both the above posts - and an article on drawbacks can be found in DM3 - I would say that many players, and beginners in particular, can have trouble remaining "in character" all the time.

Start easy and get harder.

R.