Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

how far is too far?

Started by theemperorswill, October 21, 2009, 07:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DapperAnarchist

I have two, and they have some basic background - names and the like. They are supposed to be the skulls of martyrs, honoured servants, and the like...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Tyrant on November 06, 2009, 04:48:26 PMI assumed that if a character wanted a little help he dug up a skull and fitted it with anti grav and stuck a knife/needle/gun in its mouth.
Given that most tech goes through the AdMech, then such an unofficial situation would be unlikely.

QuoteDoes this mean that we should have background on 'proper' servo skulls that come with seals and the stamp of the inquisition?
It's not essential, but it doesn't hurt. It really depends on your kind of background. I like to sit and write a character with a whole load of information - where they got their possessions and such. Although you can get away without this, it's so much more characterful to have it.

Let me demonstrate.

~~~~~

While I could just have a "Gun skull with laspistol", is it not so much more interesting to have "The blessed skull of Cardinal Whitely, who gave his life to help bring down the Proto-Witch of Heplon IV", especially if that skull carries the Cardinal's own heirloom duelling las?

The skull of the Cardinal currently belongs to Inquisitor Betton, who requested the skull of a martyred holy man to aid him in his quest to slay the Daemon Prince H'rec'nox.

It doesn't need to be all that complex - I just made that all up on the spot. For a few seconds of work, I've got the small details which make a servo skull so much more than just "Yup, it's a floating head".

~~~~~

A character's equipment takes on more interest if you explain what it is, where it's from and why they have it.

You don't need to explain every last grenade of course or just a basic knife, but adding details to a couple of the items the character uses really adds something. To take that bog standard knife, if it's the blade the still anonymous man that saved them from an attacker three years ago carried... now it can grab attention.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles