Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

On moral ground

Started by GAZKUL, March 17, 2011, 06:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myriad

The setting is pretty grimdark and any 'good guys' are pretty out of place and potentially detrimental to enjoying the game, although most inquisitors are acting towards the good of the imperium as they see it.

At the end of the day it is about enjoying the game though, and there probably is a line at which I would start finding the behaviour of the characters distasteful.  This hasn't come up in many of my games, since despite the grimdark setting, most scenarios feature a heroic setting, with the unpleasantness left lurking in the background.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

MarcoSkoll

As far as distaste, I think there is ultimately a level of "appropriately distasteful" that relates to the character and the game.

I might expect a Slaaneshi cultist to do all sorts of quite unpleasant things - paralyse someone with a toxin, cut out the character's eyeballs (while they're still conscious), then eat said eyeballs. It's not a pleasant universe.
However, I'd start to object if the character was doing this to the exclusion of actually completing their objectives. It'd also (probably) not be appropriate for any character who wasn't more off the rails than a hovercraft - it should be part of developing and demonstrating their character, not just some gimmick to make them "dark and edgy".

The ChemDogs are dirty scum, and have their fair share of derailed hovercrafts, so I would expect them to do some unpleasant things, but to be nonchalant enough to put what were (and no offence intended) not exactly accurate interpretations* of real chemical agents onto the table seems unnecessary and at risk of causing unintended offence.

*Aside from the actual "damage" effects: To the best of my knowledge, the real world chemicals in question weren't deployed under the kind of circumstances Inquisitor covers. While rather useful for shelling trenches, most chemical agents are a rather poor choice in short range combat, given that you wouldn't really want to be anywhere near where they were being used.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Stormgrad

the only thing i might get annoyed about is any graphical roleplaying of Rape/child abuse

GAZKUL

a lot of good points and all have been taken into account, btw on the gas issue they've all been renamed so that issue is over.
"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"