Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Revised Inquisitor Armoury

Started by MarcoSkoll, August 02, 2009, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilleon

Wych-Bolts: They were in BL fluff somewhere I think, but I can't remember where. I'd say just inscribed with appropriate litanies and sanctified. So potentially they could be made from regular rounds, if someone were brave and skilled enough to try and inscribe devotional scripture into a live bolter round.

If you are thinking of the same thing I am Marco, I believe they are mentioned in the Deathwatch rulebook as having "a small core of neuro-inhibitors with warp-reductive compounds" or something along those lines. Not sure if that helps or not. And don't worry, i think of DH as "BL fluff" as well. ;)

MarcoSkoll

Similar name, different concept. The source I went from was basically a poor-man's version of psycannon rounds, not some kind of psychic disruption.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Quickdraw McGraw

I just finished reading through the RIA 5.2.  It's really good!  I love the detail too! I can't even image the number of man-hours put into this!

The last time I looked at the RIA was a few years ago( long time lurker).  Back then I didn't feel I needed to change as the guns in the rulebook were fine with me.  And still are.    ;)  But be as it may, I was the one really missing out.   :P  I will be definitely be giving these another look over if I want to modify any of characters current guns.
Every time I see a math word problem in the warp it looks like this: 

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples. How many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Answer:  Purple because Tyranids don't wear hats.   :P

MarcoSkoll

To move this discussion somewhere where it won't be derailing someone else's thread...

QuoteUsing a real world analogy... it's putting a 9mm bullet into a .45cal.  I don't care how you spin it.  It's still only going to do as much damage as a 9mm.
Except that a .45 cartridge produces about 500 ft-lbs, a 9mm about 400. That extra energy transferred to the same bullet means more velocity.
As such, putting a 9mm into a .45 is a difference in the same sense as a .38 Special and .357 Magnum - the difference is the extra energy is gained by greater barrel volume rather than pressure. (Kinetic energy being the integral of the pressure times the volume swept.)

However, the intention is that the rounds are significantly sub-calibre. We're talking more like putting a .22 bullet into a .45. In rough terms, that would probably mean a .22 bullet doing healthily past 2500 fps - twice (or more) the speed either would do normally, so definitely going to have very different damage characteristics and ballistics to either a .22 bullet or a .45 bullet fired from its own calibre. A rough match might be something like the 5.7x28mm, except the .22/.45 is still doing a higher velocity than the P90 (and out of a barrel half the length!).

QuoteTrue, but saying this weapon subtracts 10 from the range modifier is the same as saying it grants you a plus 10 bonus to hit.
For that range band yes. But the effect of -10 range varies heavily with which range band. For range A, that's +20 at anything more than 10 yards. But for range F, it has zero effect until past twenty yards, and the effect is non-linear. For Range G, it often doesn't make a difference. For Range I, it often makes it worse*. This means that there's no single simplification.
The bonus is that through shifting range modifiers rather than adding accuracy modifiers, it gives the weapon the feeling of improved range rather than it nebulously being more accurate for some reason.

And modifying range is hardly something without precedent. (The rulebook version of) range finders did that already.

*While aren't currently any Range I weapons in the V5.2 armoury, it is due to reappear in V6, where I've been shaking up a lot of the range bands.

QuoteHowever I've seen snub nose revolvers literally "miss the side of a barn"!
And I can dig up cases where people hit targets with them at a hundred yards. We're starting from the assumption of an adequately manufactured weapon and ammunition. If you start talking about higher/lesser quality ammo or weapons... well, I have rules for that too.

QuoteIt's a pistol for Pete's sake! How much more stability do you need? I would have no objections if the "suspensors" were on a large/heavy weapon.  And that isn't the issue here.  It's they were on a pistol.
Again, refer to: "...inevitable side-effect of lots of options that can combine in any number of ways... Not all of them are sensible or simple by everyone's yardstick."
And I will add that even if you do feel pistols are more stable, they don't actually have (m)any rules representing their "stability". Heavy weapons do get doubled move penalty (but that's really more representing their lack, as pistols aren't different to basic weapons in that fashion), and the optional weapon handling house rules I put in the RIA have some mild effect in that direction. Criticising it because pistols are already stable when the basic rules don't actually make them stable doesn't really work.

The matter of the Imperium's technology is that a lot of their high technology can vary between wild extremes. A personal forcefield might be built inside the tiniest flaws of a diamond set in a finger ring - or a huge backpack unit with a boiler, a full Walscherts valve mechanism, three flywheels, a few planetary gears and a big centrifugal governor on top. Still has the same end effect. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of pistol sized suspensors, even if only as relics of the Dark/Golden Age of Technology or the finest work of Mars alone.

QuoteI don't make light of the skills men and women have to develop so they can come home to their families.
I suspect the average serviceman, not to insult them, isn't good enough to deserve those skills. Over half of the guardsmen on the Inquisitor table will probably have neither skill, and are very unlikely to have both - and those guardsmen are drawn from a much larger pool than that of today's servicemen by far more demanding masters.

With that in mind, I have to say (with no offence intended) that I doubt that being a competition shooter, unless truly exceptional and likely with considerable "other experience", grants those skills. A reasonable BS, yes - but no better on the move than the other very highly skilled characters who still take the normal penalties.
Bear in mind that the combination means a character can be at a walk and still be successively firing on semi-auto more accurately than other characters could from a completely stationary position - or hitting targets accurately while bombing it along at half way to a sprint. These are not routine feats.

QuoteI would love to take you to a slaughter house sometime.  You would not only have a blast...
I'll stop you right there - I'm vegetarian. While I've shot and killed things in my time, they were all pests doing damage rather than animals specifically reared to be killed. But that's not the subject (or even a subject) for discussion here.

QuoteYes, these weapons have daemons in them.
I feel you're focusing too much on the specific example. See also: Archaeotech, Binary Cortex, Cameleoline, Electro-grafts, Empath Field generator, Glavian Bio-circuitry, Nightsight, Psi-tracker, Telepathic beacon, etc.

And when I said "semantics", if you consider that there's equipment that modifies range penalties (Range Finder), I see no issue with one that modifies movement penalties, particularly seeing as it does it using recognisable, established rules.

GW's =I= articles

Quickdraw McGraw

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 17, 2012, 01:57:11 PM
To move this discussion somewhere where it won't be derailing someone else's thread...

Thank you for moving this.  I still want to discuss this more.  I may later have more questions about the RIA.  But I have to get back to work. So I'll make it quick.

QuoteUsing a real world analogy... it's putting a 9mm bullet into a .45cal.  I don't care how you spin it.  It's still only going to do as much damage as a 9mm.
QuoteExcept that a .45 cartridge produces about 500 ft-lbs, a 9mm about 400. That extra energy transferred to the same bullet means more velocity.
As such, putting a 9mm into a .45 is a difference in the same sense as a .38 Special and .357 Magnum - the difference is the extra energy is gained by greater barrel volume rather than pressure. (Kinetic energy being the integral of the pressure times the volume swept.)

However, the intention is that the rounds are significantly sub-calibre. We're talking more like putting a .22 bullet into a .45. In rough terms, that would probably mean a .22 bullet doing healthily past 2500 fps - twice (or more) the speed either would do normally, so definitely going to have very different damage characteristics and ballistics to either a .22 bullet or a .45 bullet fired from its own calibre. A rough match might be something like the 5.7x28mm, except the .22/.45 is still doing a higher velocity than the P90 (and out of a barrel half the length!).

They essentially already did is a decade ago with the 357sig round.  It's a .40cal case crimped over a 9mm bullet.  Great ballistics on this round!  However, expensive and impractical and some settings.  Over penetration is always an issue.   I would like to point out and you're probably aware of this but velocity + mass is used to determine energy on ballistics gel test.  Having a "fast" bullet is simply not enough.  I believe the sub-cailiber rounds would coss less damage not give anyone a bonus to their ability to resist their effect.  The better accuracy or range as you say would apply.

I would also like to add what your describing is a .223.  It has been in use for 40 years on and off the battlefield.  However times are changing.  Not in my own words but the words of experts and service men it's not a one shot stopper!  More and more large caliber rifles are making there way into the battlefield.

I like the sub-caliber idea but I still believe it should have less damage for an improved range( compared to the original).  But its OK if you don't see it that way.  The most important thing I think here is balance.  If I just TRICKED out a gun that gave any average NPC antagonist with two eyes and half a brain all the ballistic skill sets.  It would be a ton of extra headaches for my players.  And they would most likely ask me not to GM the next game.  I would hope they would do the same for me.

QuoteHowever I've seen snub nose revolvers literally "miss the side of a barn"!
QuoteAnd I can dig up cases where people hit targets with them at a hundred yards. We're starting from the assumption of an adequately manufactured weapon and ammunition. If you start talking about higher/lesser quality ammo or weapons... well, I have rules for that.

Yes,I saw that last night.  Good work with that.

The matter of the Imperium's technology is that a lot of their high technology can vary between wild extremes. A personal forcefield might be built inside the tiniest flaws of a diamond set in a finger ring - or a huge backpack unit with a boiler, a full Walscherts valve mechanism, three flywheels, a few planetary gears and a big centrifugal governor on top. Still has the same end effect. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of pistol sized suspensors, even if only as relics of the Dark/Golden Age of Technology or the finest work of Mars alone.

This of course is all assumed, I agree.  That's why the writers of the rulebook included rarity of items.  Someone could essentially say that my blank has the ability to anticipate a shot and then engages reducing the mussel lift.  But that's what recoil dampners are for.

QuoteI would love to take you to a slaughter house sometime.  You would not only have a blast...
I'll stop you right there - I'm vegetarian. While I've shot and killed things in my time, they were all pests doing damage rather than animals specifically reared to be killed. But that's not the subject (or even a subject) for discussion here.

HAHA!  You miss understood me!  A "slaughter house" is slang for the fake houses that's what swat teams use to train and drill.  Popping up targets, moving through the dark, kicking in doors and all the while being time with drill instructor screaming at your back!

And when I said "semantics", if you consider that there's equipment that modifies range penalties (Range Finder), I see no issue with one that modifies movement penalties, particularly seeing as it does it using recognisable, established rules.

Yes, I can see this more clearly now.  But you have to remember that I have not read your RIA at this point.  When he posted these upgrades on a weapon with no background or a reason why the function so I was most inquisitive.  ;)

Josh

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples. How many pancakes will fit on the roof?

MarcoSkoll

QuoteThey essentially already did is a decade ago with the 357sig round.  It's a .40cal case crimped over a 9mm bullet.
The .357 SIG does actually appear in the Armoury. But this isn't quite the same principle, as it still uses a 9mm barrel. So really more of a 9mm magnum, not a sabot round.

QuoteI would like to point out and you're probably aware of this
I used to do consultancy work (and occasionally still do) for a company that built less-lethal gas launchers, so an understanding of internal, external and terminal ballistics was a very considerable part of that.
Admittedly I've not got much first hand experience with (intentionally) lethal ballistics, but I do understand the principles quite well.

QuoteI believe the sub-caliber rounds would cause less damage not give anyone a bonus to their ability to resist their effect.
They did cause -2 damage rather than Trivial(2) in version V5.1, but the issue was that a -2 damage modifier started to look quite unappealing on certain weapons, but usually more penalised the Armour Piercing mechanic than lethality on target.
A decently powerful weapon (say, the 3D6+X stats of some of the rifles) can easily still roll three injury levels of damage versus an average toughness character at a -2. And hit anything of AV 4 or more,  you're on level (or better) pegging with a full calibre round.
But with one of the less powerful weapons (the 2D6+X of some of the pistols), that can actually mean rolling 0 damage or getting your armour piercing round confidently stopped versus flak or mesh a lot of the time.

With the Trivial mechanic, you now need to roll 4 points more damage than a regular round to do three injury levels (instead of just having to overcome that -2), which is a far more significant effect on detracting from the damage the weapon can do than mere damage modifiers.

I'm considering modifying the Rending/Trivial mechanics so they also have an effect on system shock and/or injury total (probably by simply adding/subtracting the modifier from any injury total if damage is done after armour), but I also don't know whether I think that's a complication too many.

QuoteA "slaughter house" is slang for the fake houses that's what swat teams use to train and drill.
D'oh. I do actually know that (and was wondering what the hell kind of butchery you were talking about if guns were needed).

And yes, that might be quite interesting - if improbable.

GW's =I= articles

Quickdraw McGraw

QuoteThey essentially already did is a decade ago with the 357sig round.  It's a .40cal case crimped over a 9mm bullet.
QuoteThe .357 SIG does actually appear in the Armoury. But this isn't quite the same principle, as it still uses a 9mm barrel. So really more of a 9mm magnum, not a sabot round.

Yes, I know they aren't sabot.  They're aren't too many examples to use. So i just used the 357sig and .223 as examples of small diamater bullets with insane velocity.

I'm considering modifying the Rending/Trivial mechanics so they also have an effect on system shock and/or injury total (probably by simply adding/subtracting the modifier from any injury total if damage is done after armour), but I also don't know whether I think that's a complication too many.

Ok, I see what you are trying to do.  You have done a great job putting this together. I know it's a community effort but your name is on it and I would like to see you rewarded for this hard work.  I hope it gets published somehow if not in a magazine then maybe a dark magenta PDF.  I do love all the extra details even if it slows the game down a bit. But its still feels very sticky.  The old rules had their flaws.  But most of us learned to deal with them.  Most of the newer guns have extra damage and with all the extra damage types it just complicates things.  Not to sound like I'm whining but now I have to concern myself with adding up and subtracting extra numbers.  I hope i don't forget something important.   :-\

Example:  My character is shot twice by the same weapon in the chest on a single action.  The other guys character thought it would be fun to alternate the rounds in the magazine( since we are being very detailed here).  I'm shot first by the sub-caliber stubber round.  He rolls...10.  I divide my armor by a 3rd( Light carapace 5 is now 3.) and subtract the rest from the damage caused.  Then I have to add to my chart the total damage as 7(my BIV is 6) but then I have to add 2 to my BIV and mark it as a light injury.  Next is the Manstopper stubber round...he rolls an 11! Six points make it through the armor.  I add another 6pts to my injury total.  Because it's rending I reduce my BIV by 1 and mark it as a heavy injury. 

Now I would have still been sitting on a heavy injury level any way.  However,  I had to do more calculations/steps this time and I had to look at the RIA 3 times to make sure I was adding it up right.  I could handle it though, but this can get confusing or you get so wrapped up in the moment you forget something.  Then just to complicate things you have 3 other characters engaging in battle all at the same time. 

I'm trying to think of a suggestion but I'm just too tired.  I'll think about this some more.  You pretty much have it all figured out.  It's just getting everyone to feel it's worth it to switch.  And I know you aren't bending anyone's arms behind their backs.

QuoteA "slaughter house" is slang for the fake houses that's what swat teams use to train and drill.
QuoteD'oh. I do actually know that (and was wondering what the hell kind of butchery you were talking about if guns were needed).
And yes, that might be quite interesting - if improbable.

This still brings a grin to my face just imagining what was going through your mind when you read this.   ;D

May ask for your permission to use some of the weapons and upgrades in the RIA?  Sure I don't agree with all of it but most of it I do.  I would like to play test it when and where I get the chance.

Thanks,
Josh

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Quickdraw McGraw on August 17, 2012, 10:12:44 PMYou have done a great job putting this together. I know it's a community effort but your name is on it and I would like to see you rewarded for this hard work.
I wouldn't really call it a community effort. Although I've obviously taken critique and suggestions along the way, it is still suggestions rather than actual entries. And, ultimately, it has only ever been me that decides what makes the cut.

QuoteI hope i don't forget something important.
It's a game. None of it is important!

I do know that adding rules is potentially complicated - but many characters have custom rules and equipment that a GM might not understand in advance.
The Revised Armoury has something of an advantage in how (surprisingly) successfully it has proliferated - it is something a lot of GMs know about and have read. The core of the "new rules" (as regards what will come up frequently in game) is covered on pages two and three, and that does then cover what (I think) is a decent majority of the non-rulebook weapons I've seen on character sheets (on the forums, at least) or used at events.

So not exactly a curve ball in the same way as a lot of custom material, particularly given the generous playtesting and revision it's had over the years.

QuoteI divide my armor by a 3rd( Light carapace 5 is now 3.)
Sabot rounds are actually Heavy AP, which halves armour (it's Light AP that takes off a third) - but as the reduction is rounded down (from 2.5 to 2), it would indeed be 3 points of armour.

QuoteNow I would have still been sitting on a heavy injury level any way.
I'd make it a serious injury in both cases, actually. In the RIA, one injury level from the sabot, plus two more from the Manstopper. The LRB would be two from the first shot and one from the later. In both cases, three injury levels, so Serious.

But I'd say it's an extreme example. I don't meet a lot of people who riffle shuffle several special ammo types into magazines (and wouldn't encourage doing it). About the only time I recall mixed magazines coming up in games is when characters decide to reload only partially empty shotguns with a different ammo type.

And, in any case, one would hope that the player had copied the pertinent details on their character sheet. (I hate it when players have to stop to look up their equipment/skills in the rulebook rather than having it on their character sheet.)

QuoteMay ask for your permission to use some of the weapons and upgrades in the RIA?
I put it online so it can be used - so consider my permission automatic.

About the only thing I'd take issue with is someone trying to pass it off as their own work.

GW's =I= articles

Quickdraw McGraw

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 18, 2012, 12:51:57 AM
And, ultimately, it has only ever been me that decides what makes the cut.

Well, good for you.  It must be exciting.  It's not having a baby exciting but its your baby.

I do know that adding rules is potentially complicated - but many characters have custom rules and equipment that a GM might not understand in advance.
The Revised Armoury has something of an advantage in how (surprisingly) successfully it has proliferated - it is something a lot of GMs know about and have read. The core of the "new rules" (as regards what will come up frequently in game) is covered on pages two and three, and that does then cover what (I think) is a decent majority of the non-rulebook weapons I've seen on character sheets (on the forums, at least) or used at events.

I'm not so sure about that.  Until now Eziah's the first person I've seen using them.  That's what cause this in the first place.  You thought I was "critiquing" your work.  Plus I've never used your Idea's I have my own thank you. 

QuoteI'd make it a serious injury in both cases, actually. In the RIA, one injury level from the sabot, plus two more from the Manstopper. The LRB would be two from the first shot and one from the later. In both cases, three injury levels, so Serious.

What is your point?  "I can't add."  The result was still the same. 

QuoteBut I'd say it's an extreme example. I don't meet a lot of people who riffle shuffle several special ammo types into magazines (and wouldn't encourage doing it). About the only time I recall mixed magazines coming up in games is when characters decide to reload only partially empty shotguns with a different ammo type.

Yeah, well I do like to bring up extreme cases.  Sometimes looking at extreme cases you can discover the true integrity of a rule and sniff out the strange ways power gamers could abuse new rules.   

QuoteAnd, in any case, one would hope that the player had copied the pertinent details on their character sheet. (I hate it when players have to stop to look up their equipment/skills in the rulebook rather than having it on their character sheet.)

Yes me too.  I've played with some really unprepared people.  They show up and expect me to carry them though the game.  I have enough
complications in my life without more.  It's just a hobby and I like to keep it that way.

About the only thing I'd take issue with is someone trying to pass it off as their own work.

I would happen to agree but after all as you said...it's only a game.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 18, 2012, 12:51:57 AMAnd, ultimately, it has only ever been me that decides what makes the cut.
Okay, this sounded more arrogant than I wanted. To rephrase, the RIA has had heavy community feedback, but I would think of it as primarily my own work.

Quote from: Quickdraw McGraw on August 18, 2012, 04:24:33 AMI'm not so sure about that.  Until now Eziah's the first person I've seen using them.
As you've admitted disinterest in the RIA rules in the past, I think you've probably missed a lot of times when they've just appeared in low-key fashions, just weapon names on a character sheet.

Looking back at the nine different character threads (and deliberately excluding my own) from the first two pages of this forum that have used non-LRB weapons, six of them use guns directly from the RIA, number seven uses RIA ammo in an LRB weapon and number eight is a custom weapon that uses RIA rules.
That's actually not far off matching the number of threads in that same time period using LRB weapons.

QuoteWhat is your point?  "I can't add."  The result was still the same.
No point. Just making sure we're all on the right page.

But as to it being the same... um, it seems I made the same mistake as you did. The two aren't the same - I think we both forgot that the normal ammo would only do 5 damage after armour on the first shot (it's not AP), and thus will only do one injury level on both shots. There's also a difference of two injury total.

Even without the error, an example specifically chosen to have the same end result doesn't prove the difference moot in all cases. The special ammo rules are designed to not confer any overall advantage (being good in some areas, but bad in others), so yes, in certain cases, the results will be more or less the same.

So, to rework the example but with different armour and ammo types...

No armour:
2x Sabot: 4 levels, 21 injury
2x Manstopper: 5 levels, 21 injury.
Sabot + Manstopper: 5 levels, 21 injury.
2x Normal: 4 levels, 21 injury.

Flak armour:
2x Sabot: 3 levels, 17 injury
2x Manstopper: 4 levels, 15 injury.
Mixed: 3 levels, 16 injury.
2x Normal: 4 levels, 15 injury.

Light Carapace:
2x Sabot: 2 levels, 15 injury
2x Manstopper: 3 levels, 11 injury.
Mixed: 3 levels, 13 injury.
2x Normal: 2 levels, 11 injury.

Power Armour:
2x Sabot: 2 levels, 11 injury
2x Manstopper: 1 level, 1 injury.
Mixed: 2 levels, 6 injury.
2x Normal: 1 level, 1 injury.

The results do often quite heavily differ. The Sabot tends to be less good (other than point or two of injury total) until you start getting to pretty heavy armour - at that point, the phrase "hot knife through butter"then comes to mind.
Naturally, it appears that the Manstopper has an advantage here (always being at least as good as the normal round), but this example is ignoring its hit penalty. (And the Sabot's hit bonus.)

QuoteYeah, well I do like to bring up extreme cases.
But they're fairly irrelevant - while they can happen but a word ("No") from the GM can bring them under control.
And it's a sandbox game. That the rules are not entirely robust in every case is not news.

QuoteI would happen to agree but after all as you said...it's only a game.
It might only be a game, but it would still be plagiarism - a matter I have no kind things to say about.

GW's =I= articles

Quickdraw McGraw

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 18, 2012, 03:28:40 PM
Okay, this sounded more arrogant than I wanted. To rephrase, the RIA has had heavy community feedback, but I would think of it as primarily my own work.

As you've admitted disinterest in the RIA rules in the past, I think you've probably missed a lot of times when they've just appeared in low-key fashions, just weapon names on a character sheet.

It might only be a game, but it would still be plagiarism - a matter I have no kind things to say about.

1. Just a touch.  But we've all been guilty. 

2. This is true.  I'm a "if it's not broke don't fix it" kinda guy.  I don't play as much as I used to so I'm not too worried about revisions.  But I still model, paint, write and create characters in my spare time.  The last several years have been filled with GMing two different groups.  One plays Starwars RPG and the other Mouse Guard RPG.  There have been other games. But they were trial and my groups keep going back to these.  Anyhoo...

3. There's nothing I hate more than Liars and Thieves.   >:(

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Quickdraw McGraw on August 18, 2012, 07:21:48 PM2. This is true.  I'm a "if it's not broke don't fix it" kinda guy.
I have to say, as you seem to be something of a gun person, I'm a bit surprised some of what the RIA does isn't your cup of tea. Some people haven't been interested because to them one semi-automatic/revolver/assault rifle is much the same as any other, but I've found people with more interest in the subject usually like to see a less monotonous portrayal of firearms.

As for the "not broke" thing... well, opinions vary. The RIA started because there was about a bazillion threads asking how to do stats for a Desert Eagle Point Five Oh/.44 Magnum that would blow your head clean off/Callahan Fullbore Autolock with a customised trigger and double cartridge through gauge.
Quite a lot of people were unhappy with the narrow range of choices offered in the rulebook, and so I started the project... which has since got a bit out of hand.

GW's =I= articles

Quickdraw McGraw

It's true I'm a gun guy.  But it's not really a big deal to me.  I open carried for few years in Kentucky.  Now I live in Florida and conceal carry( licensed of course).  I'm a big fan of doing things the right way.  I've been shooting since I was a wee babe.  It's a lot of fun but it's also a very serious matter.  I shoot well and can operate a new gun well in just a few minutes.  I was a little shocked the first time I fired a glock 18!  The full auto pistol jumped from the target to the ceiling in 5-6 shots( that's about one second)!  In less than an hour I was holding pattern( full auto) on center mass while slowing walking( only 4 steps and it emptied it's 33 rd mag)towards the target.  Please remember I'm not trying to be arrogant or proud.  I have no ambitions to become a great marksmen.  I do have aspirations to become a paramedic though.  I want to help people!  But my business over the last year has just exploded! I'm so busy I need to hire people.  But I fear as soon as I do  the business will slow down again.   :P  But enough of that.  :)

I'm not saying I don't like the RIA or find it useless.  That's not the case at all.  I kinda forgot about it.  I was making rules for my own weapons for years and got stuck in that mode, I guess. 

MarcoSkoll

Unfortunately it's not v6 yet, as I really haven't got the time to finish that at the moment, a lot of suggestions have been made regarding v5.2, so here's the v5.3 update - same link as before:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmrdryt6eytxbho

Not entirely complete run down of changes...

- Formatting, big style. I've swapped most of the bullet point lists so they're not crammed half way across the page.
- Recoil rules. I've simplified the penalties they inflict on automatic fire.
- More standardisation of terminology:
>> I've put in "Thermal" damage to clearly mark out damage affected by ceramite armour.
>> Some of the other effects/weapons have been renamed to make them more fluff accurate or less similar to each other.
- Multiple hits from "shot" type weapons have also been standardised and simplified. The "wide" spray variants are now more accurate at short range.
- Lots of range band changes. Range A and E have been swapped in a lot of places, because I wasn't really happy with the way round I was using them.
- Anti-Materiel Rifles have been reined in, such that they might actually be feasible to use in a game without "OMG everyone is dead". (4D10+4, what was I thinking?)
- Lasgun magazine capacities have been brought back a lot, to make using them on full power constantly a little less of a no brainer.
- The high power mode of Plasma guns has been made a bit more ammo hungry and dangerous. I felt, like with lasguns, there wasn't enough reason not to use full power.
- Flame weapon capacities have changed. There's a draft set of rules for backpack tanks exploderising.

I've also left in a couple of the "blurb" passages in the revolver section. You can see what they're like, and probably why I'm not happy enough with them to consider V6 ready to come out - they're REALLY dry right now.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

I personally didn't see much wrong with AMRs as they were -- they're far from being the sort of kit one carries around on a daily basis, unless your job is to shoot stuff from a mile away*. Perhaps 3D10 would've been a decent enough compromise there, or 2D10+X.

Aside from that, the only thing I'd really change is dropping the power on plasma pistols slightly (perhaps dropping them down to Dam 2D10+2?), in exchange for being usable when your target's more than ten yards away. :P

*I used to know a guy in the US military, courtesy of a gaming forum I used to frequent. Apparently, he had plenty of experience of using a Barrett M82 in Afghanistan. Take that one as you will, particularly since I think he's full of hot air, but it does make sense that if you knew you were going to be using such a thing, you'd have to park yourself pretty far away and, for want of a better expression, make yourself comfortable.