Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Revised Inquisitor Armoury

Started by MarcoSkoll, August 02, 2009, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Nemesis

Hellgun [range E] [Mode Single/Semi 3] [Damage 2D6+5] Shots[15]

Spectre assualt rifle form dark heresy inquisitor handbook

"Spectre" [Range C] [Mode Single/Semi 3/Auto 10] [Damage 2D6+2] [Shot 30x3] [Reload 2 each mag]
Aux shotgun [Range E] Mode Single/Auto 4*] [Damage 2D6+2] [Shot 4] [Reload 2]

Mods - Laser sight, Infrascope, Mag selector(3), Aux weapon.

Auto mode for the Aux Shotgun is a risky action which will lead to the Shotgun chamber becoming ethier 1-3 Jammed 4-6 Aux weapon Destroyed

Nomad sniper rifle form dark heresy inquisitor handbook

"Nomad" [Range H] [Mode Single] [Acc +10] [Damage 2D6+4] [Shot 4] [Reload 2]

Mods - Range Finder, Motion predictor.

Hyper-Density Penetrators Ammo form dark heresy inquisitor handbook

Damage 2D6+6
*When hit by HDP ammo the Target takes a Toughness test (minus Damage) if failed knocked prone

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Nemesis on February 23, 2010, 05:06:19 AMSpectre assualt rifle form dark heresy inquisitor handbook
The spectre has magazines of 20 rounds in the DH Inquisitor Handbook, not 30 rounds.

I needn't have to give my opinions on rifle and shotgun damage - those are well enough recorded in the Armoury.

QuoteNomad sniper rifle form dark heresy inquisitor handbook
Personally, I'd represent that with my AMR rules - it's meant to be a big, heavy and powerful long range rifle, which is... well, pretty much exactly what the Macmillan Tac-50 (that I based the AMR profile on) equates to.

QuoteWhen hit by HDP ammo the Target takes a Toughness test (minus Damage) if failed knocked prone
I'm sorry but "I'm going to use this penetrator round in order to knock you off your feet"? That's really pushing things a bit.

What I'd do for that is use the rules I set out for the Supercavitating ammunition.

~~~~~

Actually, on that note, I'm planning to swap the bonuses of the Manstopper and Supercavitating projectiles in the next version of the Armoury - I think they make better sense that way around.

There's been some delay in working out the next version - because I'm writing the whole thing up "in character". I intend to elevate it from just a list of profiles, instead presenting it as a guide to firearms, where the "author" explains the advantages and disadvantages behind different weapons.

The intention is to get players thinking "why does my character carry this weapon?", and considering how weapon choice speaks about the character.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 23, 2010, 04:22:20 PM
I'm writing the whole thing up "in character". I intend to elevate it from just a list of profiles, instead presenting it as a guide to firearms, where the "author" explains the advantages and disadvantages behind different weapons.

The intention is to get players thinking "why does my character carry this weapon?", and considering how weapon choice speaks about the character.
That sounds excellent - as you know, I've never been a big fan of just a long list of weapon profiles so this sounds really good; even if the descriptions are just a couple of sentences, it still gives players a lot more to go on than just picking a weapon profile.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on February 23, 2010, 05:09:34 PMEven if the descriptions are just a couple of sentences, it still gives players a lot more to go on than just picking a weapon profile.
That's the whole thing - all the different parts of a character speak about their background and personality. A particular firearm says all kinds of things, and they should be saying the right things.

I should mention that I'm still going to keep from making the profiles a specific weapon; the statlines aren't meant to represent just one weapon, but are meant to be anonymous, any particular model or name the player wants them to be.

To quote from the draft foreword:
Quote... the inherent caveat of this guide.  Although it is intended to make an Inquisitor and their servants better aware of the principle forms of firearm which can reasonably purchased or encountered, the extent of the weapons industry within the Imperium (particularly when considering custom built and/or modified weapons, as well as patterns and mark numbers) means that this text can hope to be no more than a foundation to the reader's education in the area.
When you consider the existence of non-Imperial weaponry as well, finding a firearm which is not described within is far from unlikely.

With the sprawling nature of the subject in mind, the data-tables and descriptions in this volume have been simplified down to archetypes that collect functionally similar weapons together.
While this might at first seem odd, I think you will appreciate this from the perspective that it is far more important to be able to recognise the basic capabilities of (for example) a medium calibre magnum revolver than it is to know the small differences that separate a specific example of that class - such as perhaps the Thresi 11mm Cerberus.

Despite its admitted incompleteness, this guide is however far from redundant. After a thorough reading, this text will give any individual a solid foundation on the subject and a reference point for specific firearms...
(I would note that the reason that it's addressed specifically to Inquisitors is because while parts of it would work as a "civilian" guide, there are more than a couple of things within which I don't think the Imperium would be happy to have the riff-raff know about)

I think that explains where I'm going.

I intend to make players think about whether the weapon they're considering is right for the character, and give them a framework that they can hang background off, but it's their job to be coming up with things like model name and such.
In a few cases, it's appropriate (Lasguns at least, as I need to put together specific examples to demonstrate the system), but not something to do everywhere.

GW's =I= articles

Dust King

Ok, that sounds awesome ;D. Especially when it comes to designing opponent characters for single matches, often I just give them a gun which seems to be fitting with their role, but the descriptions sound like a great help for this.

MarcoSkoll

Well, however you want to use it. I wouldn't necessarily spend much time matching a weapon to a one-off character, but it makes sense to think about the weapon choice of a serious character (they'll have thought about it, so you should as well really), and I want to try and give people the information to do that.

GW's =I= articles

kurionta

MacroSkoll, do you still have this Revised Inquisitor Armoury?  I tried clicking the links provided and the file was deleted or invalid.  I am very curious to see your suggested changes as I harshly disagree with many of the profiles in the main INQ rulebook. 

MarcoSkoll

Sorry about that. Seems Mediafire had changed the link for some reason. The link in the first post should now work again.

GW's =I= articles

GAZKUL

any chance of advanced Gas based weapons is a future update? stuff along the mustard and nerve gas lines.
"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"

MarcoSkoll

Unlikely. I have little knowledge of biological and chemical warfare, so I wouldn't be able to do them proper justice.

I'd also say I think it would be hard to do them justice in a way which would actually work in game. For the most part, they'd either be excessively powerful or too slow to actually take effect within the same game.

GW's =I= articles

kurionta

Thank you!  I really like your ideas.  It will definitely help make our INQ games more interesting. 

Flinty

Marco, your dedication to the production and hosting of what I view as invaluable resources for Inquisitor, is a constant source of humbling amazement. Fanboi transmission ends.
Neanderthal and Proud!

Jamas Orian

I have a pertinent query - will there be an Inq > DH conversion for the revised armoury?
I can't say I'm too much of a fan of the standard DH armoury - although it's simple (and bland) in core - adding the IH stuff makes my brain bleed.

MarcoSkoll

Potentially, although I'll need more familiarity with the system first. I imagine any Inq2 conversion will probably be combined with a DH version, given some of the similarities.

However, I'm not completely sure there will be an INQ2 version. The apparently more versatile and "upgrade" based armoury probably won't need my obsessive approach.
If there is one at all, it will be a while in the making, because many of the ideas I've tried to develop just aren't going to carry over to INQ2's more consolidated shooting system and will need to be redone completely from scratch.

GW's =I= articles