Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Rather nifty character concept

Started by Discy, December 07, 2009, 08:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discy

Recently, a rather good idea for an Inquisitor character came into my head.

Basicaly, he is a lowly worker at some Hive, until a pretty female Inquisitor comes to investigate rumours of a cult in the Hive. She hires then this worker as an informant and guide.
After a while, he becomes besotted with her, and follows her everywhere. After she destroys the cult, and no longer requires his services, she tries to get rid of him, but he won't leave. After she threatens him with a bolt pistol, he pretends to leave, but secretly follows her off-planet.
Thus starts a decade of the worker trailing her, as he becomes a master of disguises, until  the Inquisitor meets a messy end at the hands of another Inquisitor. Broken hearted, the worker recovers her Inquisitorial rosete thingy and weapons, and vows to hunt down this other Inquisitor for killing his 'true love'.

What do you think?
Beep if you love muties!

Sneak

Aside from the fact that I hope the model will be a man with a pair of glasses and a funny moustache it could be interesting, as long as you took steps to stop him becoming inspector clouseau (unless thats what you are going for).

I think con artist is more likely, less silly and offers more narrative possibilities (think Frank Abagnale). He would clearly be posing as an inquisitor, something that will most certainly not end well if discovered by the real inquisition, so he would have to use his 'inquisitorial' powers very carefully, ensuring that he got as much information as possible about said inquisitrix killer without dealing with anyone high enough up the chain to actually check if this guy is who he says he is...
"wait a minute, ive never heard of no inquisitor dave before..."

Also if he were some minor con man before the inquisitor turned up, his skills could be of use to her, which is a good reason for her to hire him, and it makes it much easier for him to sly his way onto the inquisitors ship (id imagine it would get very cold, very lonely and very very dangerous in the cargo hold of a ship moving through the warp)

Discy

Quote"wait a minute, ive never heard of no inquisitor dave before..."
;D
Pretty much what I was thinking when I came with the character.
Beep if you love muties!

Myriad

There's alot of potential here - one of my own characters gained his rosette under somewhat mysterious circumstances.  The Imperium is simply a big place, you see.  Add to this the fact that most people fronted with an inquisitorial rosette and told to keep quiet, will do so, makes imitating an inquisitor quite plausible - even higher level functionaries may simply assume you're from a neighbouring sector, and if your rosette checks out (and I'm assuming fakes are detectable here), you're unlikely to be questioned.  Even other inquisitors may display a degree of 'professional courtesy' regarding some irregularities.

The only bit that seems a bit odd is managing to stalk an inquisitor for quite so long without drawing attention to himself, which might require a bit of work.  Maybe she keeps him on as a lower ranking functionary she doesn't personally work with.  Either way, the idea of an employee becoming besotted with an inquisitor is a good one.

I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Discy

For his wargear, I think he will have taken the bolt pistol she threatened him with. It will have run of ammo by now, but he has kept it as a keepsake, and also a display of 'Inquisitorial authority'.
Beep if you love muties!

Adlan

That is fairly awesome... but wouldn't he be able to get some ammo for it? If he is impersonating an inquisitor, even trying to stay of the radar, it wouldn't be that impossible for him to get?

Just incase he needs an ingame boost, otherwise I love the idea of him not having any ammo for his bolt pistol.

Maybe he's saving the last bullet, Cap'n Sparrow style.

phil-o-mat

i like that character, the background could be very funny to read.

and that "saving the last bullet" thing would be very cool!

Inquisitor Cade

It is an interesting idea, but there are a couple of issue that could do with being ironed out.
How was he able to stalk an Inquisitor, to whom assassination is a constant worry so has security measures in place that would probably detect him before long. Also he'd need a handy source of interstella travail if he was to keep on her, which would be expensive and pretty obvious.
Inquisitors are the best of the best of mankind, with decades of experiance and training before they get their rosettes, and with powerful contacts from many walks of life in the imperium. How is he able to convincingly imitate one. He'd have to be remarkably capable to begin with and even then would need to avoid important people 'in the know' that would recognise him for a fraud, so would struggle when it comes to gaining contacts or requisitioning resources.

I suggest that maybe he could be being guided by another Inquisitor who sees a potential for benefit and/or by a daemon, perhaps leading him slowly but surely to the place he is imprisoned. He could be aware of the help, completely unaware, or maybe he could chalk the 'ideas' and 'suggestions' that he sometimes gets as his own splendid intuition. That could lead to a really interesting in game mechanic too.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on December 08, 2009, 07:33:19 PM
I suggest that maybe he could be being guided by another Inquisitor who sees a potential for benefit and/or by a daemon
Both those ideas seem pretty cliched - personally I much prefer the original idea.  Discy seems to have considered the issues his character might run into, so I think the idea is workable as long as he continues to bear them in mind.  The character being a con artist, someone used to impersonating others, who was occasionally employed by the Inquisitor does seem to make more sense than him being a lowly worker.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Discy

Yeahm, I think him being a con-artist and overall master of disguise is more believible, and would also mean that the Inquisitor would have kept him as a part of her retinue. Now that's all sorted, I've got to come up with a suitable name :P
Any ideas?
Beep if you love muties!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Discy on December 10, 2009, 12:55:14 AMI've got to come up with a suitable name. Any ideas?
You could try this random generator: http://www.behindthename.com/random/

Set it up with the right kind of ethnicities, randomise, then refresh until you see enough names that strike your fancy, then piece them together however. Many of the names can work as surnames too.

I used it to give the characters in my latest warband their first names. Took a lot of refreshing the page to find names that worked for me, but it worked. (Their surnames however were not the work of Behind The Name - those are all loosely based on rock guitarists)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

It would be even creepier, of course, if he killed his love-object himself - "so we could be together forever!" - an adopted her identity to continue her work.

R.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: precinctomega on December 10, 2009, 08:45:24 PMIt would be even creepier, of course, if he killed his love-object himself...
... perhaps this could be worked in to him declaring his lover, and her rejecting him.

His taking over her work could even be an act of atonement.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Discy

Good idea, but I still like the idea of him tracking down her killer, with the 'one last bullet' in the bolt pistol. It gives him a bit of a drive, especially if I convince my friend to use the killer as his Inquisitor.
Hmmm, I see a summer holiday campaign brewing...  :D
Beep if you love muties!