Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolnikan

I vaguely recognise the image, but don't recall from where. So, where is it from?
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

A WD 284 article about some of the Imperial Guard regiments fighting against Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade. There's some damn good artwork in it actually, but I don't know if/where that art may have been used before/again.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

That could be the place, I used to know someone with a large collection of those.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

Oh look, it's something else:

I know she looks a bit off balance here - this will be sorted by the final model.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Oh holy yes what yes... That is an ARISTOCRAT, from her silly hat to her unexpectedly stylish armour, to her fancy fancy dress.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Dolnikan

I love the outfit, it is completely over the top as it should be, a marvelous model!

MarcoSkoll

The design is lifted straight from the Inquisitor Sketchbook, so the credit as far as that goes completely to John Blanche:

She's a huge part of the reason why I suddenly completely changed my plans and side-lined a warband I'd been planning to bring since last year. I looked through the Sketchbook and thought "I love that art. Why have I never made it as a model? Actually, why have I never made a single model based off a John Blanche piece?"

Hence, I found myself in the position that I absolutely had to do her as a model, other projects be damned.

That's why I was asking about skulls a page back, as she needs a LOAD of them to match the artwork. I also keep forgetting I've got a double headed eagle to sort out, both model and rules wise.
Making it a familiar wouldn't seem quite right, as I can't see it being a psychic symbiont, but I think something similar would work quite well - sort of a bionically/biologically enhanced animal scout. Fly up and get a bird's eye view of the field and such.

Background wise, this is Lady Trader Martejja Riemann, holder of one of the oldest warrants of trade in the Cuir Subsector. For quite a few years now, she's been a LONG way out of the Carthax Sector - she's not even been in the Segmentum, having been trying to protect/liquidate ancient family affairs threatened by the 13th Black Crusade.
However, the events and aftermath of the Ilithyian Saint have forced her return to the sector - not least because the terms of her Warrant of Trade oblige her to provide aid in times of crisis, but also out of concern for how her affairs on home turf will suffer.

And I know making a run across the galaxy wouldn't really be that fast, but it's for the sake of weaving a reason for having some characters from further afield (not her personally, but some of her warband) into the current Carthax narrative.

Anyway, this was last night's work on her:

And this is the extent of the "damage" to the Guardswoman now I'm working on a new set of legs for her:

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

The noble is looking better and better. That piece of artwork has always been one of the favourites and it will be a great joy to see it made into a model.

krenshar

Both sculpts are amazing!  I remember the Guard article now, I'll have have to dig out that 'Dwarf for the other sketches.  Lady Riemann's head looks a little broad in the photo but I expect that's the lack of pauldrons and cloak.

For the double headed eagle, the vulture from the plastic giant kit could save you some time.  I don't have a camera to hand but it's 16mm from beak to tail tip and 4mm at it's widest.  It would need it's legs repositioning and breast bulking for the upright pose, plus the second head and some feathers on the first but it looks fair on Eisenhorn's shoulder, if a bit on the small side versus the artwork.

You're welcome to the one I have if it appeals.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: krenshar on March 17, 2012, 11:30:43 PMFor the double headed eagle, the vulture from the plastic giant kit could save you some time.
Thanks for the offer, but I think the vulture would be under-detailed for a model like this. It's not the crispest casting I've ever seen.

In an ideal world, I'd get the Glovodan eagle from Inquisitor Lord Coteaz, but it's not something I'm willing to buy the model for and an unlikely part to be able to bribe off people. (Maybe if they'd picked up a replacement for some bad Finecast, but other than that...)

However, I expect I'll have to sculpt it. Not ideal given the limited time I've still got, but procrastination is catching up with me once again.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

In the picture, the skulls appear to be small - perhaps synthetic, or childrens', or some sort of dwarf-human (voidborn microcephalatics, perhaps), so the 28mm skulls might still work quite well.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

That's how JB tends to draw skulls, so I've just taken the oddities as being his style. It's not a problem anyway, Gav sent me some of the 40mm skellies he posted earlier, which are a good match.

Also, have another picture:

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

The sleeve is very nice, and the fur is shaping up nicely. Is she also going to get a big cloak like in the artwork?

MarcoSkoll

Short answer: Yes. That's what the brass rod across her back is there as the start of the armature for.

GW's =I= articles

Knobby2

Another one for the eagle could be the vulture from the ogre stonehorn kit, has a lot of detail on it