Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

<AdminHat>
I'm not going to set up an alternative board, as The Conclave is specifically an Inquisitor forum. I can see a place within that for Dark Heresy boards (even if they're never used!), but a Shadow War specific board could invite discussions of optimal team lists, or people sharing their entire unconverted Ork warbands.

However, I have no issues whatsoever with people using the modelling boards to share models which are in the spirit of Inquisitor, even if they might be primarily or exclusively used for other games. Ultimately, a characterfully converted Shadow War, Inquisimunda or WH40K model may not look all that different to an INQ28 model.
</AdminHat>

And it seems I really need to start de-Photobucketing this thread, now they've decided to make themselves more unpopular than a fart in a lift.

As far as modelling progress... well, not much as far as this. Due to a lot of scheduling problems that are making it a pain to get to the club, I've drifted into digital modelling for the moment, and am currently working on assets and story for a science-fantasy setting of my own. A lot less grimdark and gothic than 40k though. Have some blurb:
Quote"Fracturing Veil" is an in-development science-fantasy setting, set in an alternate modern day where artificial intelligence and robotics have made great leaps; While truly conscious AI remains an highly expensive and equally legislated scarcity, lesser automatons have become a familiar sight throughout the industrialised world.

But under this veil of modernity lies a hidden world of beasts and daemons, a realm kept secret by ancient pacts and concealing magics. The main story revolves around an ex-military AI prototype inadvertently discovering this underground reality, and thus finding herself inducted into a world of the paranormal.
The core idea is that monsters and magic have been kept secret for centuries by various illusions, the erasure of people's memories and judicious hacking - but this is starting to fall apart as sentient computers are coming into existence.
The main AI character, Athena, isn't affected by illusion magic, amnesiac drugs don't work on her, and as a "true AI", she is defined by the ability to refine and rewrite her own code (read: her operating system is too sophisticated and complex to hack). And as she's also an obscenely expensive military prototype, she can't just disappear without people asking questions*.
* And even trying to make her disappear is a recipe for having a very bad day; I refer you to "obscenely expensive military prototype" - although she'd resent the terminology, she is literally a killing machine.

As such, when she accidentally stumbles across this world, the Cerberus Organisation (those responsible for the divide between worlds) decide on the only viable strategy - employ her.

Anyway, that's me rambling on.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Fair enough.
Also an interesting premise - colour me interested.
Vaguely more on-topic relation - any recommendations on how to replace a missing Sororitas backpack?
I've got the bottom half of a space marine backpack cut down to size, but I need the top section (usually the vents/zero-G propulsion bits on the SM packs).
I'm not sure what bits I could source to replicate something roughly Sororitas in nature for the upper half of the pack.
Any suggestions?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on July 30, 2017, 05:04:26 PMFair enough.
Although I am part of the admin team, I don't own the site, so I can't make particularly large changes.

However, I'm happy to see people sharing any models or background that are in the spirit of Inquisitor. Provided the poster isn't completely taking the mickey*, I can see that the techniques, ideas and inspirations could be pertinent for people here.

* Given that one of the last character backgrounds I posted was for a Warhound Titan, "taking the mickey" may be relative.

QuoteVaguely more on-topic relation - any recommendations on how to replace a missing Sororitas backpack?
The backpack on my 54mm Sister is a relatively simple conversion of a Space Marine backpack, as at the time I didn't have any proper Sisters ones. It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas:

QuoteAlso an interesting premise - colour me interested.
Like I say, I'm still working on the whole idea, but I'm hoping I can make something out of it.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Yeah, I'm using a similar idea - however, at 28mm the upper section looks far too bulky.
I need something roughly 75% of the diameter of the top that I can then GS into place and create the two bulbs on the end before doing the spiky bits.
But the bottom half is all space marine, albeit with it shaved flat so I can do what you did with the fleur-de-lis.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Some of the sculpting isn't mega neat, but new Silva. Hopefully an improvement over the last version:

Rear view:

I think this may be the first of my 54mm models that hasn't used any pre-made bitz, although I know one of my 28mm sculpts has done it before.

Also, Giovanna. Now with collapsible suppression shield:

This may or may not be a hint to expect some not very finished painting on Saturday. (I'll definitely be opting for "not quite complete" over "rushed").

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

Giovanna looks great. I particularly like the shield.

Silva is a definite improvement over the last version, although her face looks a bit rough around the right eye (could just be the photo of course).

mcjomar

I'll echo the previous comments.
I'm guessing it's the angle of the picture, but Silva's leg looks as if the armour would block it coming up in the crotch region?
Legs/cloth deform in that area, while metal wouldn't, and to my eyes it looks as if the inner thigh in the crotch region (based on the pic) needs to be curved further down a little to allow free movement of the leg for flexibility.

Unless, of course, her custom trousers are hiding some more bits of the machinery, in which case giving her full range of movement, but disguised by the cut of her clothing.

cymrilian

I agree that silva's face may need some work, but her armour and pose look fantastic.

MarcoSkoll

She's supposed to look rather rough - she's a veteran of 28 years of combat and been frequently shot, stabbed and blown up, which then has to be stitched back together with whatever level of medical aid is available that day.
While perhaps those scars could be healed with the Inquisition's resources, she's never been happier in her life.

Her current reference sheet (click for bigger) should give some sense of just how beaten up she is.

All those scars are reproduced on the model. They're not particularly prominent, but they are there.

It's not something that photographs particularly well, between all of the fine details and the inconsistent quality of the surface (anything I've tweaked or sharpened with a scalpel has a lighter and more matte finish, so the contours are less clear - particularly without binocular vision and the option to see it under different lights and angles).

I've checked the genuine article using a mirror (a good way to see art "fresh", without being influenced by any mental image of what you think you've drawn/sculpted), and I'm happy with it. It's not a face that would sell perfume or lipstick, but that's not her job.

Quote from: mcjomar on November 16, 2017, 05:54:55 PMI'm guessing it's the angle of the picture, but Silva's leg looks as if the armour would block it coming up in the crotch region?
The above reference hopefully gives some idea about how everything is attached. There's nothing of the original leg left, with the new hip joint and electro-fascicles anchored onto her (fairly heavily reinforced) pelvis.

The proportions on the model are possibly not absolutely identical to the reference, but they're close enough and at this stage I can't be doing any reworking while still having her even half-ready for the event.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

So the short answer to my second query is "yes" then, going by your reference picture there.

Based on that I'd say you're very good to go on the painting side of things.

MarcoSkoll

[Extremely rude words]

Attempts to get Silva undercoated early this morning so I could get the skin and base colours on today have gone extremely thick (possibly it was too cold, although I deliberately tested on another model first), and I'm now desperately trying to strip it off in a hope that the model can be saved.

Unless I get very lucky, looks like I'll have to bring some other characters tomorrow.

EDIT: I think they can be saved in the long run, but unfortunately, definitely not for tomorrow. I've got a lot of it off without undue damage, but a couple of tiny fragments of GS have come away with the undercoat , so the models are going to need repair, which I simply cannot do in time.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

For a follow-up to the above stupidity with spray cans, I've had the models sitting in the cupboard for the last month and a half waiting to be rescued from the dire undercoating job.

In the past, I've found that Dettol* or Fairy Power Spray also slowly damage greenstuff (so the battle is between leaving a sculpt in for just long enough to remove paint, but not destroy the model), things like acetone obviously completely eat plastic, and brake fluid is seriously nasty stuff that I've never tested on green stuff anyway.

As such, I've started chasing up a recommendation I had years ago, bought some Isopropyl Alcohol (more technically, "Propan-2-ol") off eBay (~£6.40 posted for a litre) and dropped an old unneeded sculpt in it.

Results: Very promising. After 24 hours, pretty much all the paint has shifted. There's a couple of parts of less well mixed green stuff that seem to have suffered slightly, but none of the well mixed green stuff (or the plastic or metal) seems to have been fazed in the slightest.
The sculpt has gone back in for a second round just to be sure and see if I can get the last of the undercoat off, but this looks it will probably be my new paint removal solution. (And pending a follow up may well get a resounding recommendation).

* Dettol does contain Isopropyl Alcohol, which is presumably its "active ingredient" versus acrylic paint, but it seems that the other components (either on their own or in combination) do green stuff no favours.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

I've heard "simple green" (I assume an american brand) clears paint off plastic minis without damaging the models - might this do the same for a GS sculpt?

MarcoSkoll

I've heard of Simple Green, but I see little reason to buy it over Isopropanol. It's more difficult and expensive to get hold of in the UK, and the more chemicals in the mix, the more likely one of them will damage models.

As it is, Isopropanol seems to have stripped the paint off green stuff pretty much flawlessly.

I think that the areas that were being softened by the Isopropanol which I first thought were badly mixed green stuff might actually be ProCreate. Not great news for people who use ProCreate, but fairly good for me, as I no longer do.
(I have one model that does that I might want to strip, but it's only partially Procreate, and it may be that it will survive careful stripping - I'm currently seeing if airing the model does anything to reharden these areas - being an alcohol, Isopropanol is somewhat volatile).

I've yet to test on resin, so more on that later, but for now, I don't think I'm going to be switching to anything else.

GW's =I= articles

LordParker

Wilkos does an all purpose paint and varnish stripper for 3 quid, I bought it with some cheap toothbrushes to give my old space marines a scrub and they turned out looking brand new including the plastic ones, it's very gloopy so I poured some into a glass jar with the models and had a plastic container with washing up liquid and it worked like a treat.