Author Topic: Marco does something  (Read 192380 times)

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Time for some thrilling heroics.
Re: Marco does something
« Reply #735 on: March 06, 2021, 10:22:44 PM »
This is five seperate prints so far (rear, front, a medley of parts for the roll cage/front suspension/interior, wheels, rear suspension), although if I'd been a little more organised I probably could have done it in four. I was expecting the final print to also include a weapon or weapons, but when I looked at the weapons I had available, they were poor enough that I decided I was going to redesign them and print those later. Had I planned ahead, I probably could have fitted the rear suspension parts into spare space on the first couple of prints, but it's not a particularly big deal.

I'll note that while I've made some alterations, this is at its core a model from Cults3D that I've scaled up. It doesn't have quite the same charm as one that's been painstakingly built from plasticard over weeks of work, but I've got the Rhino and Sentinel to prove that's possible.

On a similar note, I do plan to use the printer to create some of the parts for the Arvus, although I intend to model those pieces myself.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
« Reply #736 on: March 19, 2021, 10:28:56 PM »
When it came to my Paul Rudge/Paraelix Configuration terrain rebuild, it never got much greebling. Partly that's because there was a time crunch to have it ready for the London GT, partly because most of the greebles were components that would have been hard to get hold in sufficient numbers at the time, let alone here and now. Stuff like the tank traps that were cut up to provide buttressing girders for the buildings, or the Vindicator sensor arrays that doubled as wall lights.

However, there is now a solution to such problems:

You can see some failures in here, (there's a crack in the side of several of the girders, but I think I've identified the issue, and should be able to avoid it happening on future print runs) but this was a test, so I was going to need at least one more run anyway.

GW's =I= articles

Offline greenstuff_gav

• Chief Enginseer
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Greenstuff Monkey
    • Build Your Imagination
« Reply #737 on: March 20, 2021, 09:27:39 PM »
it's been a while - you've been busy :D

i'm still learning 3D printing myself so not much to add  - by random chance i also did the Eldar seer and the Banshees at 160% :)

looking at the TTS stuff i'm struggling to get images to import into Meshworks - did you have difficulty with the program on first use?
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
« Reply #738 on: March 22, 2021, 12:34:43 AM »
I've moved over to 3DF Zephyr for my photogrammetry stuff now, as that's the recommendation I got from Lee McStein (whose online name currently escapes me, but he's been in the INQ28 community for a fair while), who actually does photogrammetry professionally. It seems a lot faster, and able to get good results with fewer pictures.

Hopefully, I am going to manage to complete my guide on actually using said software sometime soon, in order to help other get involved in online games.

EDIT: Holy cheese biscuits, I hadn't actually tried the software again since I built my new PC. On a more powerful graphics card, it can process a model in a few minutes.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:42:37 AM by MarcoSkoll »

GW's =I= articles