Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Adam Cunis on November 30, 2009, 12:09:16 PMThe detail is so crisp! something I just can't seem to do with GS.
Well, I pretend to be no more than an amateur, but my personal advice on the matter of sculpting is to keep the tools wet, not limit yourself on what counts as a tool (heck, make a new tool if you need one), and have around some cheap brushes to help smooth the putty.

Right. Now for a late lunch... and then more sculpting.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Believe it or not, Marco is still doing something, all though I did end up losing a couple of days from my schedule because of various problems. Nothing fatal, but not ideal either.

Anywho, the psyker now goes by the name of Renatus Neuvler. And regards actual modelling... some pictures.

Lyra, Renatus and Kai - Front & Back

Frost and Myself - Front & Back

I have to apologise for the imperfect photos, but I only realised the brightness and contrast wasn't great too late, I haven't got my laptop to apply a digital fix, and I can't be bothered to try to argue with the camera.

As is no doubt clear, Kai is easily the furthest along. (And also standing on his cork stand somewhat wonky)

Plans are to start any missing arms tonight and get said arms finished... probably sometime tomorrow or early Monday, I guess. Depending on difficulty and requirements to sculpt hands from scratch, of course.

Heads... well, we'll see what happens there...  ;)

GW's =I= articles

Hadriel Caine

lyra and kai look incredible mate. nice use of plastics to support your own work.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

MarcoSkoll

The plastics seemed the easiest way to sort out weapons and stuff without actually having to make each individual piece myself.
For the most part, it's stuff one could find in an average bits box, or at least negotiate with a mate for. Space Marine parts, IG from when I got into Kill Team and Necromunda (It was so much easier to use plastics...), but there are a few things I've dug out I can't really pin down.

I find GW's 54mm weapons oversized (actually, 28mm scale weapons too, but it's excusable there, because they'd be too small and fiddly). So scaling back to a more modest size prevents models being totally cluttered by what's actually a perfectly reasonable amount of equipment.

The 28mm parts seem to work well size-wise for my sculpting proportions. The 28mm pistol holsters are believable for an average pistol, Kai's hellpistol is a hacked around lasgun (shortened a bit, moved handgrip/magazine well forward) and obviously, the coil rifle from earlier in the thread is largely 28mm parts.

~~~~~

If I'm going to ramble for a bit anyway, I'll admit I'm not entirely happy with Renatus. There are flaws in the proportions that can't easily be more than mildly tweaked. Given how far I've gone, and with a need for a model, I'll still finish it, but I'll be looking for a replacement.

This is at least in part because while I like both the concept (of a pskyer centred around illusions) and the appearance, I'm not sure they're a perfect match for one another.
I'm used to background coming first, then developing appearance from that, so force of habit has started to give me ideas that don't fit the model. Doing it this way around, it wasn't hugely surprising that one of the characters might not match brilliantly.
(And it's not too surprising that that Renatus was the newest concept and appearance, without the benefit of the time the others had been stewing in my head)

I've run across another picture which I quite like which I can see fitting the concept (although this time it's female), and what I'll likely do is a model of that, transplant the basics of the character across, then recycle Mack Sztaba's drawing into a different character.

... But those models will have to be a future project.

Anyway, things to meet, places to do, people to be.

GW's =I= articles

Molotov

Really nice work thus far, Marco. Looking forward to seeing these completed. :)
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Adlan

Sweet!

The stormtrooper is gonna look awesome.

Only criticism is one the model of your self, your calf sheath looks to be hanging a little low, actually touching the ground. Dosn't look quite right to me, a smidgen higher and it'd be great.

abhorsen950

Theyve come on really well.

Stunning

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Adlan on December 07, 2009, 10:27:40 AMOnly criticism is one the model of your self, your calf sheath looks to be hanging a little low, actually touching the ground.
It isn't actually like that - it's a trick of the camera angle.

~~~~~

Anyway, preview... Kai's head

Not perfect, but for only the second face I've ever sculpted (and given the first was only earlier today...), I'm content with it. It's still slightly workable, so I'm going to attack a couple of things that I see in the photo now...

GW's =I= articles

phil-o-mat

your work is AWESOME!!!
i specially like your stormtrooper. if i had more talent in sculpting, i would try to do one myself, but forget about that...

Kaled

Quote from: phil-o-mat on December 08, 2009, 07:17:35 PM
if i had more talent in sculpting, i would try to do one myself, but forget about that...
Well, the best way to learn is to give it a try and keep practising...  Your first few might turn out looking like mutant mud men, but you'll soon improve.

Kai's head is looking good, but did you really want to add an indentation for his pupils?  Usually you'd paint them on wouldn't you?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: phil-o-mat on December 08, 2009, 07:17:35 PMIf I had more talent in sculpting, I would try to do one myself, but forget about that...
I will be the first to admit to not being particularly artistically skilled.

I have but a small scraping of talent, and for the most part, my successes come from motivation, persistence and not leaving anything alone until it's right.

If you take my most recent drawing (mildly NSFW), then actually look at the scan before it gets any post-production, it reveals just how much I can change my mind. You can see shadows of the first draft of the basic "skull" for the skeleton somewhat to the left of where the head eventually ended up, as well as a whole horde of other moved lines. (You can also tell that I put excessive detail into my sketched skeleton...)

Really, the only way to learn is to start. It pays to get a grip on anatomy first, as it'll offer a real shortcut - and you may have to learn not to be disheartened, but in the end, you're not going to be able to do it any other way.

These are only the... 5th to 9th models I've sculpted (or at least got a respectable way through). I admit to a head start because of my drawing (and to some extent, my shooting - I have pretty steady hands as a result) but equally, anyone whose handwriting is actually legible to anyone but themselves would have an advantage I didn't.

Quote from: Kaled on December 08, 2009, 07:32:21 PMKai's head is looking good, but did you really want to add an indentation for his pupils?
That was part of the way I was doing things, a visual aid for while I was sculpting. I've learnt it from drawing that eyes can look fine until you add the pupil, then it can't look right whatever you do.

Given I didn't want to write off the head, I did it on the first couple of heads until I started to get things a little more controlled. Said indents are to be filled in.

I didn't of course apply my other usual trick with drawing pupils. As can be seen in my more recent drawings, my preferred technique is to do them as an L shape.

GW's =I= articles

phil-o-mat

ok, i`ll try it!!! but don`t expect too much.

i`ll post some pictures of my first attempts.

Kaled

Quote from: phil-o-mat on December 08, 2009, 09:22:07 PM
ok, i`ll try it!!! but don`t expect too much.
Why not try one of these?  It'll mean some of the hard work of proportions and basic anatomy is done for you and will let you concentrate on sculpting the detail.

Apologies Marco for temporarily derailing your thread.  BTW, that first link in your last post is file not found.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on December 08, 2009, 09:47:49 PMWhy not try one of these?
They're not a bad idea for a beginner and take out quite a lot of the work (they definitely kill "size creep" dead) , but they are a little costly, and don't allow size variations.

Something to start with maybe - but eventually, I'd recommend people make their own armatures.

QuoteApologies Marco for temporarily derailing your thread.
No problem. I'm perfectly happy to inspire and help people.

QuoteBTW, that first link in your last post is file not found.
Oops. Evidently my understanding of dA's linking system is flawed. Fixed.

I should note that I'm very cruel to Silva. That's a price she pays for being my favoured original character.

GW's =I= articles

Aidan

Well, aside from gawping in awe at your work, (which has become rather a habit of mine. I should find a shorthand way of expressing it.) I feel the need to give a little more solid feedback - most all of it still positive, mind.

Kai's armour (which initially looked rather messy) definitely has the look of Kasrkin-style carapace now. Well done getting crisp corners on greenstuff, that always takes a lot of time (and a great deal of cursing) for me. I would say that some of the 28mm bits look a little small for Inquisitor (especially his hellpistol), but I've taken to using them more and more myself, though I've not used lasguns at all.

Frost is probably my favourite, I can definitely see the resemblance to the concept drawings you posted of her way back. Good work on the scale armour, the realistic chestplate, and on keeping to the small stature you established the character as having. I guess that is one of the benefits of sculpting your own models, though.

Renatus is looking good, for the most part, but his arms (particularly the right one) seem disproportionately long. Is this intentional (and mentioned somewhere that I've missed), or are you going shrink it down somehow later?

Not much to say about Marco yet, except that he's strikingly tall next to Frost, which I understand to be intentional. Also, I'd like to ask what that slab on his chest is intended to be, or what it will turn into.

Very good work on Lyra's*clothing, too - about on par with Frost for excellence in sculpting and style. (Maybe I just have a thing for the chicks?). I do hope that that force field mentioned in another thread will be able to keep her safe, though, 'cause that blouse 'ent going to be stopping any bullets.  I am wondering what is holding that pouch/holster to her right hip, though.

*Instinctive name recognition works completely the wrong way for me in this context. Gives me a 'wierd feeling' I can't get over. Not your fault, though.

- - - - -

I also love the picture of Silva (and the original, 'not to her liking'). Nice artwork, great joke; that corset is so completely 'not her style' that it's hilarious ;D. I might also mention that of all the characters I've seen on this forum (besides those belonging to me or my gaming buddy Dust King), yours - Silva in particular, with Frost a close second - seem to stay with me the most. Hence I can attribute a personality to the name and face and get the joke. Brilliant.

Look forward to seeing the completed models.

-Aidan.