Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

... for a model that didn't even have an armature 48 hours ago, a reasonable result.

Her torso may look a little small, but bear in mind that I haven't added the shoulders yet.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

I don't know why, but for some reason this reminds me of a certain someone...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Adlan

MarcoSkoll

Might be the whole "boots and skirt" thing. Still, any similarities probably won't persist long after I start adding other features. (And I seriously hope they don't persist after I've painted her!)

Anyway, I'm perhaps a little behind schedule today, because I've been checking the pose. I've changed my mind a little from what I had envisioned originally, so I've had to cut and reposition the torso a little...

(Yes, the "tassels" on the end of the sash fell off while I was working. I'll be refitting them later.)

Not planning on her having those weapons eventually, those are just two pieces that I fished out of my bitz box as placeholders for a pistol and a sword.
That said, I do think the short chainsword is a kinda cool look, but I don't know whether I think it's justifiable with the direction I'm going with the character.

The 40mm base is also a bit of a placeholder at the moment as well - it's just in between the cork sculpting base and her feet (with her feet pins running through it) to see how it looks.

I'm trying something a bit new with this sculpt - I'm using tubing as the armature for her shoulders, because it allows me to put in the shapes of the shoulder and upper arm in (it's a pig trying to plan clothes around a shoulder that isn't there yet), but without the trouble of having full length arms getting in the way. I'll be able to come along later and add the armature for the rest of the arm without having to drill a new hole up the arm for it - so no, the wire that's currently inserted up the tubing isn't glued in place.

That said, that isn't all I've done so far today. I was playing around using Blu-tac to see how I wanted her coat to be moving - it's not in these pictures unfortunately, because I had to remove it to start fitting the shoulders.

I also worked out how I wanted to be doing the frogging for the coat. Very fine wire, twisted together in groups of 3 seems to be the way to go about it.

Quote from: Adlan on January 28, 2010, 12:25:33 PMI like it.
Woo, a vote of confidence! ;D

Anyway, if you'll excuse me, I do now have to go and start shaping her shoulders.

GW's =I= articles

Kasthan

The boots are awesome. I was like others doubtful about the skirt but it works nicely.

Weapons wise it is traditional for a chainsword and bolt pistol, not a las like you've suggested giving her. However its your model and background.  The plasma pistol she's got at the moment looks good (Hark like).

Keep up the good work.

Myriad

Plenty of commisar models (I think), and commisar Cain, do have laspistols.  They are, after all, the most commonly available sidearm and a commisar more concerned with ceremonial & political duties would probably not be assigned anything especially heavy by the munitorium.

The extent of commisarial authority is fairly vague, but the imperial military is hardly distinct from politics.  Most planetary governers fit into the command structure somewhere so there's some justification available for a commisar to fill less of a battlefield role.

I like how the model is progressing - the skirt looks good and doesn't seem too impractical. 
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

MarcoSkoll

While the bolt pistol is the standard fare in the current Imperial Guard codex (or so I believe), the last version gave Commissars a laspistol as standard, so it's not as if it's always been a hard and fast rule.

I don't see any real reason why the most common sidearm in the Imperium can't be justified for a Commissar. (Heck, you'd have to work hard to find someone who you couldn't justify a laspistol for - even mutants could probably get their hands on one if they tried.)

Anyway, my thoughts on bolt weapons on the Inquisitor table have been recorded enough times - they're large bulky weapons which would be impractical to carry around all the time. They should be pretty rare, and particularly so for a character who's not a dedicated "hard nut".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I feel I need a ramble.

She has advanced further, but I'm currently too tired to feel up to taking decent photos, cropping and compiling them, then uploading, so you'll have to wait.
She does have most of her coat sculpted now, although I'm leaving the collar until I've got her head in place.

And on that note, I wanted to have her head done before I went to bed tonight, but earlier my brother insisted that I got involved with a completely nonsensical tug-of-war, which then left my hands aching to the extent that I was unable to sculpt finely enough for that.
Female faces are tough at the best of times, and I really didn't need the extra challenge. He will be tortured for the act of hindering the work of one of the Emperor's Inquisition.

...okay, I'll probably just poke him with soft cushions or something.

I might find it somewhat hard making the schedule, as I have party to be at tomorrow, which will eat up quite a a large chunk of my time.
Or maybe I'll take my sculpting to the party - they all know I'm weird anyway. ;D

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Anyway, the pictures as promised:

The coat may look as though it's moving weirdly around her right hip, but there will be a holster there eventually.
And now, I have to go and get back on with it...

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

... a little less than a week later, a mostly finished model.

(Wonky on base because the pin in her left foot broke off earlier. Nightmare to work around, but there wasn't the time to fix it.)

I've got a few things to tidy up in the next day or so, but I'm happy with what I've managed - most of a model less than a week after I decided I was going to start.

I decided to go with the chainsword in the end - it was just cool enough in the long run, and I've not got any chain weapons in my collection at the moment (yes, I know, heresy).

Anyway, now I need to go and work out who she is...

GW's =I= articles

Myriad

Looking good.  Nice clean, dynamic pose.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

MarcoSkoll

To come back to this, I've been doing a little clean-up work on the Commissar before I get started on any painting, and adding a truckload of skull emblems at the same time.

... however, I'm not here to talk about the modelling.

I'm thinking through colour schemes. Obviously, the standard colour scheme for Commissars is black with red trim (see Imperial Guard HQ category for examples). However, I've also seen some Commissars with yellow/gold trim and rather like it as an effect.

Thinking through the various options, I've come up with some possibilities.

1) Bog standard black on all main areas with red trim. Coat lining in black. Red Sash
2) Black with red trim - trim further edged itself edged in yellow. Coat lining probably black. Red Sash
3) Black as normal with yellow trim and either a)red or b)black coat lining. Red Sash
4) Reversed - Dark red on main areas, black trim. Sash... dunno.

As far as these options, 2 and 3 are my currently preferred options (possibly with 3 as an outright favourite). I've mocked up 4 in photoshop and I'm not too convinced - and while I can live with 1, I'd like to be a little more creative than that.

Any feedback?

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

I've painted a couple of commissars and my favorite scheme was black with a beige (bleached bone) trim and sash with anything even arguably appropriate in gold.

But of these options, I'd minimise the amout of yellow.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Well, I'd hoped for a bit more feedback than that... but I can live with it.

After some delay, I've got both the Commissar and Kai more or less done. I'll be doing a few last fixes tonight, and will probably commence painting tomorrow. To show you where the Commissar is...

Alternatively, there's also now a deviantART link, with much larger photos.

And she still needs a name!

GW's =I= articles

Vermis

Nice work!  That's an impressive amount of detail. :)
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.